Thunderbird 1.33Ghz chip FRIED. What happened?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want an inexpensive cooler that is relatively quiet and does a good job of cooling, try the VolcanoII from the same company that makes that ungawdly ORB. It uses a standard clip with just the right amount on tension (IMHO).
BTW, clip tension is one of the few things that my opinion is humble about.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Okay, Volcano II, I'll add that to my list of coolers to check out. Anyone else had any good or bad experiences with this cooler?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW Tom did a cooler review a while back. look for it. And since he didn't review the VolcanoII, I did a review and posted the whole dang thing in the coolers forum. YOu might find it a page or two back.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
If it is quiet you want, <b>nothing</b> comes even close to the Silverado. If you run it on its lowest adjustable voltage, you cannot hear it literaly. I have one and purchased it on the grounds that it was excelent at cooling. But low and behold, although when combined with Artic Silver II thermal compound and a CPU at full load with SETI it runs at 45 degrees Celcius, I'm even more impressed by the noise level. It is expensive ($89 with shipping), but you said cost isn't an issue. You can't go wrong with the Noisecontrol Silverado.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For Tom's page own review of orb see: <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q1/010306/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q1/010306/index.html</A>

I am truly sorry you just baked a brand new CPU but if you can shake your grief for a minute I have a question... Before you bought your AMD CPU did any of the millions of AMD fans warn you that AMD chips do not have a heat protection sensor? I ask this question because whenever I say something like "AMD makes the best general purpose CPU for the money, just be careful cause they don't have heat protection." AMD fans jump me and tell me to "shut up" and "let it die" cause enough has been said about AMD and heat. Well I want to know, has enough been said? Were you warned and bought AMD anyway or had you never heard of this before?

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
My freakin common sense and my mobo provide all the heat protection I need.

I do not want AMD wasting valuable research and chip space on something that freakin useless, put it on the mobo, it costs less and can be implemented without affecting the architechture of my favorite CPU.

This chip was not fried it was crushed, why don't you rant about a anti crush sensor?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Well, we ought to let people know about that little bit. It's rather valuable info to have; at the very least it lets people know that they probably <i>should</i> employ the mobo's overheat protections.

Trouble is, Intel lemmings like AmdMeltdown make too much of the problem...

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

G

Facts you need

1) You did not crush the CORE, it is purely faulty

2) Crushed core will not turn on at all hence no heat

3) I used to have a ORB golden one, 11000rpm, works fine.

Now using a Global Win FNP50

I suggest to use Noise Control Silverado, best noise/performance/money shown by tom

still change the Silver Orb, they don't look that suited for 1.33G CPU, I personally, without prove think they max out at 1G.

Like you said, you've got burned mark on the HSF to prove you've installed everything right.

I burned an Duron before, sort of on purpose, without attaching HSF, and honestly told my retailer and after 30mins of chit chat on the phone and 30 mins of chit chat at the store he changed one for me.

So be nice to them and the'll definitely change one for you.

Y bother to help he who never read MANUALS? <font color=blue> COMPASSION! :smile: <font color=red> Read it 10 times KIDDO!

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
WAIT A MINUTE!!

quote:
"So I take the CPU out, and there's a little scorch mark at the top around metal piece that the fan contacts. Underneath, there's a dime-sized scorch mark that burned a hole through the "warranty void if removed" sticker."

Are you saying that there was a sticker on the core of the CPU?? If so, they it back to the store you got it from and then smack em on the side of the head! No wonder the CPU fried, it couldn't transfer heat to the HSF.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
no, he was talking about the warranty void if removed sticker on the bottom of the chip, between the pins. even I get those on mine! (and mine were scortched, too when they fried)

-----------------

All your RAMBUS are belong to us!

G

Ah, I wish I could just smack somebody!

But the sticker was on the underside of the CPU, in the space where there aren't any pins. Not on top, not blocking heat transfer to the fan. Too bad, that would be a nice, not my fault solution!

G

Hey, thanks, THIS is what I want to hear! Ammo to use on the retailer so I can get a new CPU!

It makes sense that a crushed core is a different problem from an incinerated core.

Just out of curiosity, when you fried your Duron before, did you get scorch marks? How long did it take? I'm just amazed that this thing torched out in 2-3 seconds.

Noise Control Silverado sounds like a great fan... takes weeks to get it though, right? Is there anything else in the same league that is a little easier to get?

Anyway, wish me luck in RMA land...

-Dan

G

reply to lakedude's question about what I knew about the CPU getting into all this.

I'm not totally clueless. I'm not a major hardware fiend or anything, in fact, my last cpu was a K6II-300, but I've been building computers for myself and my friends for years and I have a basic knowledge of how things work.

So, I knew the Tbirds were vulnerable to overheating. I even knew you could break them that way. Did I know they would go out in a puff of smoke in literally TWO SECONDS if not properly cooled? No.

Anyway, how well I was prepared for the Tbird depends on what was actually wrong with it.

1. If the chip was faulty, then I was adequately prepared, because the burnout wasn't my fault, and I DID proceed with caution.

2. If the chip burnt out because the fan wasn't on right, then by God this is by light years the single most finicky hardware product I've ever encountered, and they should all be shipped with giant flashing lights that say:
WARNING. EVEN IF YOU BUY A HEAT SINK/FAN SPECIFICALLY MANUFACTURED FOR THIS CHIP AND INSTALL IT AS PER THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS AND THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE AMD WEBSITE, THIS CHIP MAY STILL INCINERATE ITSELF WITHIN SECONDS OF TURNING IT ON. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS CHIP WITHOUT SPENDING AT LEAST TEN (10) HOURS RESEARCHING YOUR COOLING SOLUTION WITH KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE.

I mean, I've never seen another component which was not only made to perform a function but -reviewed by several websites as adequately performing that function- that nevertheless DESTROYS OTHER COMPONENTS.

If that's true, then you absolutely need to make sure people you recommend the AMD to know that.

There's a third option:
3. The chip burnt out because the fan broke the core.
Now, personally, I really like the reasoning of the guy who posted who said the chip would either have a broken core or burn out, not both, because it couldn't heat up with a broken core. (do other people agree with that, by the way?)

But, just for the sake of argument, let's say I broke the chip with the fan. Then the chip should ship with big flashy lights that say: WARNING. EVEN IF YOU BUY A HEAT SINK/FAN SPECIFICALLY MANUFACTURED FOR THIS CHIP AND INSTALL IT AS PER THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS AND THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE AMD WEBSITE, YOU MAY IRREVOCABLY MECHANICALLY DAMAGE THIS CHIP. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS CHIP WITHOUT SPENDING AT LEAST TEN (10) HOURS RESEARCHING YOUR COOLING SOLUTION WITH KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE.

That's just my .02...

-Dan

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
><i>should</i> employ the mobo's overheat protections.

hahaha what a joke, so far mb overheat protections are batting 0 for 1000

****how on earth do you get to the bios when the chip you've worshipped has fried!****

yeah, kelledin you too should repeat 20x "AMD has absolutely no thermo related issues" and it will go away.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm glad that you've since relized this about the "self immolating AMD cpu"

"finicky" is not the word here, try "substandard crumbling piece of coal".

pls, let us know on the status of your RMA to AMD.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Oh, they don't have thermal protection, no. I never said that wasn't a problem. With a little care, though (i.e. choosing a good HSF, making sure it sits right), it's not as serious as you want everyone to think it is.

A great many people happily run Athlons at reasonable temperatures; I don't know why you think lack of a thermal diode is the kiss of death. If you're repeatedly toasting T-birds, then you're just not a competent technician. :wink:

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

icxcnika

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
It could have been either a faulty motherboard or CPU, you could have not set the jumper for the propper speed, or u didn't install it correctly. the CPU should have one little corner "sniped" off; looks like:

/---------------
| |
| |

On the motherboard it should have:

or something like that. Are the snips matching?

G

There are no speed jumpers on the MB (just one for FSB speed that I set correctly). And I did install the chip correctly, matching the pins correctly to the socket.

Nice ASCII art, tho...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The name Thunderbird comes from ancient southwestern Native American legend, where a giant bird was seen being struck by lightening, but when the tribesmen went to investigate, they found no sign of the bird. This gave rise to the belief that the bird had risen from the dead, and the legen of the Pheonix, a bird that incenerates itself at the end of its life and then is reborn from the ashes. So it goes sithout saying that a thuderbird will incinerate itself, but it is supposed to arise from those ashes! Try plugging it in again and see what happens! LOL!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
there is only one way the AMD chips will fit into the socket, and that is the correct way. no way to screw that up unless you remove a couple pins

-----------------

All your RAMBUS are belong t............ ahh screw it

G

there was only a very faint burn mark, you have to force yourself to see it.

I think it died between 5 to 6 sec and smell came at exactly 8 sec, A7V 1.85V 900Mhz

Like I said, my favorite is the Silverado, then FOP32, but my father didn't know anything about all this and got me a FNP50, still it does the job!

Got my 1G to 1.4G, what else could I complain.#

Still slow running Finite Element Analysis though, takes 30mins to hours.

Y bother to help he who never read MANUALS? <font color=blue> COMPASSION! :smile: <font color=red> Read it 10 times KIDDO!

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I am just going to have to murder one of the over 50 socket A T-Birds I have built this year to find that out.

Really, I mean that. I really want to know how this stuff happens.

I know it does, heck if Griz can burn one out I guess anyone can it is just that I have not seen it myself.

Hey Griz, what happens if you try and power up that fried proc, is it "reborn from the ashes" as crashman says, cause that would be cool. :)