Question Thunderbolt 3 interfaces

albn99

Distinguished
May 11, 2013
I am looking to buy an Apollo Twin Quad. Apparently, it has a Thunderbolt 3 connector. I have an 8th gen Intel CPU. I have two questions:

1. Is that interface Mac only?
  2. Is there a way to add Thunderbolt 3 on an 8th gen motherboard?
I tried Googling it, but I am getting all sorts of answers. I just want to connect the thing to my computer to get rid of the latency when recording my crappy tracks.

Edit: Got an answer elsewhere, and if anybody needs to know:

If the motherboard supports Thunderbolt, or has Thunderbolt, it will work. Otherwise, get the USB-C option (I found two). From what I am looking at, it appears (APPEARS) to be on high end 10th gen motherboards.

If somebody has another answer, let me know.

Last edited:

albn99

Distinguished
May 11, 2013
what the motherboard? some support tunderbolt. some don't
Yes, the motherboard. I wound up getting an Apollo Solo USB, but that is the lowest end of the UA gear. I found a few motherboards that have the Thunderbolt 3 HEADER, but none have Thunderbolt 3 included onboard as far as I could find. If somebody else knows otherwise, that would be great.

Oh, and just in case others are curious: The Apollo USB does not have I/O included. So if you want to route, you will need a third party solution like Voicemeeter Banana. OBS happened to have routing, which was a nice plus, but I had to download it separately. Newer versions of the software might have it included now, but do not quote me.

I doubt I will get a Thunderbotlt interface anytime soon, but at least I know my options are open. I just know I do not want a Mac.

Jul 15, 2021
I have recent experience with Windows 10 pc's and thunderbolt 3 cards+ Universal Audio thunderbolt 3 interfaces. It can work. UA has windows support. Like RGD1101 stated. For more help we need to know the type of mainboard. From there I can tell you what the options are. This can be: getting an add on card, upgrading mainboard to thunderbolt ready/thunderbolt on board or, If your mainboard does not support Thunderbolt, there are other forums with detailed information about downgrading firmware on a Gigabyte GN titan ridge thunderbolt card. Tested by several people including Amd systems.

Jul 15, 2021
Sorry for my late reply (needed vacation)
Due to you edit I can add this information. Thunderbolt 3 is NOT only on gen 10 mainboards.
It was allready supported by gen 6/7 for PC, but never opened up the market.
Apple Mac. did open up the market with external uses of thunderbolt. With thunderbolt generation 3, USB-C and thunderbolt 3 plugs are the same and user friendly.
With the possibillity to daisy chain thunderbolt devices like external harddrives, 4k monitors and even audio interfaces or not needing to worry when you plug in a USB-C device in the thunderbolt port. (on MAC it supports both) it is a lot more user friendly than on PC. Some PC mainboards do have an USB-C port and the chipset supports thunderbolt 3, but the USB-C port does not always have thunderbolt 3 support. So it is not simply a USB-C port option. It is the same plug, but it does not work with you interface.

And yes..... I also work with Mac, but for this you don't need a Mac. (price factor PC vs. Apple is crazy)

If you want a mainboard with built in Thunderbolt 3 ports, there are only a few on the market, but they come with a large pricetag or limitations. For example The Gigabyte Z390 Designare has 2x Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back, but is expensive. Some other boards on the market are mini-ATX or ITX form factor. Most are limited in RAM slots, PCIe slots, etc.
These are NOT gen 10 mainboards, but the Designare is highend.

There are gen 8/9 mainboards that have Thunderbolt 3 support. I will keep the info related to the Intel socket 1151.
The brands at the moment that have the best thunderbolt 3 support are ASUS, some ASrock boards and Gigabyte. Most work with Add-on cards.

I work a lot with Audio Interfaces and last week I had to test an Universal Audio Apollo X6 TB3 interface for a friend. Since I do not have a Mac, I needed a Thunderbolt 3 port for PC.
The only other PC I could use (+8 in my house) My son's PC with an ASUS Z390A prime mainboard. I picked up a ASUS thunderboltEX 3 add-on card and it ran great. (Also works on the Z370 variants and gen 6/7 intel Z170/Z270 boards. Also tested it on the ASUS Z270A Prime mainboard with a gen 6, i7 CPU from my niece)
Hooked up the Apollo, tested it with the UAD software and Presonus Studio One 5.3. Runs like a train. Very stable and fast. UAD2 DSP supported plug ins work like a charm.

The only way to get thunderbolt 3 running on a mainboard without Thunderbolt 3 support (gen 8/9 and they even had succes on AMD Ryzen/Threadripper platforms) is with a Gigabyte northridge chipset addon card. There are firmware tricks and hacks with shorting pins. This way has limitations, like not be able to hot plug/unplug devices.

If you do not have thunderbolt. Well Like you stated get the USB version.

albn99

Distinguished
May 11, 2013
Sorry for my late reply (needed vacation)
Due to you edit I can add this information. Thunderbolt 3 is NOT only on gen 10 mainboards.
It was allready supported by gen 6/7 for PC, but never opened up the market.
Apple Mac. did open up the market with external uses of thunderbolt. With thunderbolt generation 3, USB-C and thunderbolt 3 plugs are the same and user friendly.
With the possibillity to daisy chain thunderbolt devices like external harddrives, 4k monitors and even audio interfaces or not needing to worry when you plug in a USB-C device in the thunderbolt port. (on MAC it supports both) it is a lot more user friendly than on PC. Some PC mainboards do have an USB-C port and the chipset supports thunderbolt 3, but the USB-C port does not always have thunderbolt 3 support. So it is not simply a USB-C port option. It is the same plug, but it does not work with you interface.

And yes..... I also work with Mac, but for this you don't need a Mac. (price factor PC vs. Apple is crazy)

If you want a mainboard with built in Thunderbolt 3 ports, there are only a few on the market, but they come with a large pricetag or limitations. For example The Gigabyte Z390 Designare has 2x Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back, but is expensive. Some other boards on the market are mini-ATX or ITX form factor. Most are limited in RAM slots, PCIe slots, etc.
These are NOT gen 10 mainboards, but the Designare is highend.

There are gen 8/9 mainboards that have Thunderbolt 3 support. I will keep the info related to the Intel socket 1151.
The brands at the moment that have the best thunderbolt 3 support are ASUS, some ASrock boards and Gigabyte. Most work with Add-on cards.

I work a lot with Audio Interfaces and last week I had to test an Universal Audio Apollo X6 TB3 interface for a friend. Since I do not have a Mac, I needed a Thunderbolt 3 port for PC.
The only other PC I could use (+8 in my house) My son's PC with an ASUS Z390A prime mainboard. I picked up a ASUS thunderboltEX 3 add-on card and it ran great. (Also works on the Z370 variants and gen 6/7 intel Z170/Z270 boards. Also tested it on the ASUS Z270A Prime mainboard with a gen 6, i7 CPU from my niece)
Hooked up the Apollo, tested it with the UAD software and Presonus Studio One 5.3. Runs like a train. Very stable and fast. UAD2 DSP supported plug ins work like a charm.

The only way to get thunderbolt 3 running on a mainboard without Thunderbolt 3 support (gen 8/9 and they even had succes on AMD Ryzen/Threadripper platforms) is with a Gigabyte northridge chipset addon card. There are firmware tricks and hacks with shorting pins. This way has limitations, like not be able to hot plug/unplug devices.

If you do not have thunderbolt. Well Like you stated get the USB version.
Thank you for the reply. I finally upgraded to an ASUS Prime Z690-A LGA 1700. It does not have a Thunderbolt connector on the I/O, but seems I can buy an add-on card. Which is what I am searching for now, so I know what to get later. And Thunderbolt header ready motherboards are not cheap, and not many out there. We will see how the current build goes. I am still waiting for an extra PSU cable to power the thing, but that's off topic.

Have a great day, folks.