Question Thunderbolt card stopping power up

Jan 12, 2022
Hey all,

So I have a B550 gaming motherboard... AMD.

I picked up Thunderbolt EX4 card to plug my UAD Apollo into (I have a TB header). Downloaded drivers, plugged in the USB cable and TB cable. Did not use power cable.

Went to BIOS, but there were no options to activate Thunderbolt...

I decided I needed another power cord, as I didn't want to share power with my GPU. Bought a 6 pin , 6+2 pin cord.

Today and "Shut down and update" my computer to get ready to try the power cord.

It gets hung up for 30 minute with monitors off, I assume from updating. OK I force it off. Then I plug in the new power cord.

Press the power button... nothing... nothing... nothing... no power. Motherboard is lit up on one side, but no numbers flashing error codes. Literally no response from power button.

OK. I take the power cable for the TB card back out. Still nothing...strange.

I flip the pSU switch wait 10 seconds, flip it back.. Power works again.

Turn off computer, try using the cable again. Kills the computer again.

Same steps, take the power cable out and I am up and running....

Sound like a power supply issue?

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2022
ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen) ATX Gaming Motherboard

Rosewill - THOR V2-W Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case White Edition, Supports Up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, Comes with Four ...

Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive

Super Flower Leadex III 750W 80+ Gold, Three-Way ECO Mode Fanless, Silent & Cooling Mode, FDB Fan, Full Modular Power

Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2(Blue) 120mm Hydro Bearing CPU Cooler

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 x16 ATX Video Card 100416NT+8GSR

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT - Ryzen 9 3rd Gen 12-Core 3.8 GHz Socket AM4 105W Desktop Processor -

OLOy 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model

Jan 12, 2022
It didn't come with enough. There is one more spot marked "Perif" with no cable that came with the PSU. I have used all the other cables. I could use one of the ones plugged into the GPU but figured that needed dedicated power.

Hopefully nothing is fried.... It is still running. Should be the same cable that would come from the PSU anyway I would think ?

Jan 12, 2022
Also - thing is.. there was no pop or attempt to turn on. Literally didn't even try to boot at all. I'm thinking the PSU has a built in auto-shut down if it's overloaded?