Thunderbolt Heading to Windows PCs in 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
best use for this ever is:
external desktop gpu for laptops.

think about it, when you game you need big screen and your gaming mouse and your sound system, none of which is good to carry on with you...

so you could have this neat ultrabook with it's superb core i7 and big chunk of ram.. and shitty hd3000 and when you get back home you plug to external gpu via thunderbolt which connects to the big screen you have and bam your laptop can game hardcore

thats my dream, just one computer, an ultrabook, which i can take with me easily.. and still the ability to game hardcore

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]A technology for which there is little if any need and it ain't free so I'll pass.[/citation]
you are just like people saying "who needs more then 640k of memory" .. see what i wrote in the above

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Yes, indeed. I'd love to have that for my old laptop - all I need is to be able to LAN some old games with decent FPS which is not achievable with its Intel GMA... (more like Intel GMS) but would work if it had an external GPU. I saw one made by Asus but it didn't meed any success because it used the ExpressCard for connecting and it's way too slow. I believe that now the thing can be easily re-made and be successful - just like you suggested.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
This will go the way of FireWire. USB is universal. Millions and millions of devices support it and it's backwards compatible ontop of that with older generations of USB devices. The avg pc consumor looks for compatabilty in a device first and formost. Thunderbolt is neither universal or backwards compatible with anything, which is why it's going to end up failing. The irony to all this is that Intel is comepeting against the very same product that they helped create.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

FireWire didn't "fail". It just became more rare, that's all. If the average dumb consumer doesn't see the benefit, I don't think that should slow the progress down. I want this on the next generation of motherboards, and on PCI-E cards. "Average consumer" can't tell a shortcut from a file, doesn't know about the existence of help files and is afraid of assembling his own machine, although there's extensive help available on the net and the process is similar to playing LEGOs - everything goes in its own slot, and if it doesn't fit, try another part... xD

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

sorry mate that wont work for you
a) your old laptop dont have ... thunderbolt
b) you need not just a good gpu to game you also need a proper cpu and ram so even if your old laptop had thunderbolt it wouldnt work

i want this not in order to save myselff the need of buing new pc every year, i want this so i could just work with one computer

there will always be the next generaion of pci-e which will mean .. a new "cage" will be needed every few years
new gpus\cpus will become avilable rendering to correct gpu and laptop old so new one will be needed every other year

its all fine with me
so long i get to work from one computer instead of 2 or even 3

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

First, I was just giving it as an EXAMPLE. My laptop could certainly achieve more if its Intel GMA950 would be replaced with something better (seen laptops with less RAM, slower CPUs and better GPUs which gamed waaaay better...) Second, it doesn't have Thunderbolt, no really?! Of course not. As I said, it was an example. It wouldn't save me from getting a desktop, but would have allowed me to improve the quality of LAN parties :)

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
For those who don't seem to understand: displacing an open standard with a proprietary, controlled standard allows you to do things like only let Apple use it. That's EVIL. Open standards everyone can use are GOOD. We're supposed to support GOOD over EVIL, so nobody should be cheering Thunderbolt even if it makes gumdrops rain from the sky.

Now, the champions of good (PCI Express people) are already working on exactly what some of you want, but better:

"At the annual meeting, PCI special interest group (PCI SIG) announced plans to develop a PCI Express-based interconnection standard for external devices. The standard will directly compete against Thunderbolt (co-developed by Apple and Intel), its successors as well as USB 3.0.

"The proposed external PCI Express specification is projected to be based on the PCIe 3.0 technology and will support four lanes with transfer speed of up to 32Gb/s, according to EETimes. Initially, the interconnection will use copper wires, but eventually, as the speeds get higher and when the technology adopts the PCI Express 4.0 protocol, wires may be changed to optical. Naturally, the future flavours will challenge not only Thunderbolt with its 10Gb/s interconnection, but also its successors."

See? THAT you can cheer for, because it's not only better, it's morally GOOD.

"My laptop could certainly achieve more if its Intel GMA950 would be replaced with something better...."

It can be - it's called an AMD Fusion CPU. :)

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
good read Alcalde, thanks!
hey I just want an external desktop gpu to be used in laptops, wouldnt mind using pci-express at all, as far as i care: first to hit the market is mine, but if any side hit .. later (After i bought) and refine it so a year after my first shoping theres a good compettion... im all for it

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]FireWire didn't "fail". It just became more rare, that's all. If the average dumb consumer doesn't see the benefit, I don't think that should slow the progress down. I want this on the next generation of motherboards, and on PCI-E cards. "Average consumer" can't tell a shortcut from a file, doesn't know about the existence of help files and is afraid of assembling his own machine, although there's extensive help available on the net and the process is similar to playing LEGOs - everything goes in its own slot, and if it doesn't fit, try another part... xD[/citation]

Hmmm and why did it become rare, because it Fail to catch on. Man where do you come up with that logic lol. So now you are calling the avg consumor dumb yet you sai FireWire didn't fail? LOL How about the avg consumor wants compatibility not somethign where they have to mix and match and spend a lot of money on a device that supports it. I know this is hard for you to understand but USB was more progressive in its and cheaper then FireWire. The market doesn't caitor to what you want it's what the consumor wants. so Yes FireWire did fail because of the reasons I mentioned.

[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]A technology for which there is little if any need and it ain't free so I'll pass.[/citation]
None of the technology is "free". Not PS2, USB, SATA. It's all just bundled together.

supere989

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]This will go the way of FireWire. USB is universal. Millions and millions of devices support it and it's backwards compatible ontop of that with older generations of USB devices. The avg pc consumor looks for compatabilty in a device first and formost. Thunderbolt is neither universal or backwards compatible with anything, which is why it's going to end up failing. The irony to all this is that Intel is comepeting against the very same product that they helped create.[/citation]
LOL I was wondering when someone was going to remember who ACTUALLY stimulated the growth of USB...IT WAS INTEL....rofl.... I swear people are so short sighted. Lets not forget that Lightpeak/Thunderbolt is a Dual Full Duplex protocol with PciExpress as one side and display port on the other. Am i the only one that sees Monitors being sold with integrated Upgrade ports for PCIEx Video cards seeing as how the protocol supports both DisplayPort and PciExpress? Its like the ultimate break out port. DVi...cya, ethernet, cya, USB,....ok....usb may not have to take a back seat in this equation, but it should atleast ride shotgun and interface into the data stream. I can see myself running Thunderbolt interface ports through my entire house and using only 1 computer to power my entire homes audio and video communication and entertainment system. Now i just have to put it in my car....

supere989

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007

Dude seriously? Just through your computer crap in the garbage, buy an Ipad, and go josh yourself....

di general

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]TBoltGuy[/nom]Weired comments. I'm pretty sure Intel championed USB as well. They are just moving beyond USB with Thunderbolt. FWIW, even USB 3.0 is S-L-O-W. I have it now and it is still pitifal. I would never use it regularly for hard drive technology. eSATA is still the only way to go there but now with Thunderbolt, you have an interface for all of your hard drives, thumb drives, and any other external tech like monitors, optial drives, cameras, etc. People stuck on USB are like the people who stuck to VESA.[/citation]

3.0 is still pretty darn slow, and does not come close to being able to do what the standard deems it can. Maybe we'll see improvements when support comes native.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

3.0 is still a great improvement over 2.0. Imagine coming back to 2.0 speeds? No? Don't want? :lol: Then STFU and use 3.0 until there's something better.

di general

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

What's your point? Read the comment again and maybe you'll understand the context of what was said.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Not sure why they are bitching about costs of "fiber". First of all the cable itself is dirt-cheap and with short distances you do not need lasers, simple high power LEDs will do just fine for light transmission. Seems like they had more of some kind-of hardware limitation/problem and they quickly remade it into copper-"thunder bolt" that is "cheaper" but works "almsot as good" to hide the problem. Just IMHO, I mean I have sound blaster audigy with fiber optic audio ports from early 2000s that costed ~$150 (one of the top of the line cards back then) how expensive can it be?

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]TBoltGuy[/nom]Weired comments. I'm pretty sure Intel championed USB as well. They are just moving beyond USB with Thunderbolt. FWIW, even USB 3.0 is S-L-O-W. I have it now and it is still pitifal. I would never use it regularly for hard drive technology. eSATA is still the only way to go there but now with Thunderbolt, you have an interface for all of your hard drives, thumb drives, and any other external tech like monitors, optial drives, cameras, etc. People stuck on USB are like the people who stuck to VESA.[/citation]
Alright I'm amazed no one else has called BS on this yet. Unless your using a external RAID enclosure there is little to no chance any external HDD you are using will be able to go above USB 3 speeds. Chances are something along the line (computer port, cord, or HDD interface) isn't actually USB 3. USB 3 is faster than SATA 2...you know, the connection that 99% of all consumer HDDs are internally connected to right now, and only SSD come even close to going above SATA 2. And USB 3 is faster than eSATA, because eSATA is the same speed as SATA 2 I believe. Thunderbolt would be wonderful if it actually provided any benefits at the same or similar costs, but it doesn't. It costs quite a bit more, and provides bandwidth that 99% of us can't actually use. I would love to have 1 or 2 ports on my computer for high end devices that actually could use the extra bandwidth/lower latency, but considering how much cheaper USB 3 is compared to Thunderbolt, I would much prefer the bulk of my any device ports to be USB 3.

G

I find it funny that all you making statements about USB seem to forget that Intel invented USB and then championed it as an industry spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.