News Tiger Lake Tested: We Benchmark Intel’s Latest With Iris Xe Graphics and 10nm SuperFin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
The CPU's single thread performance looks like they've made the generational leap.

That graphics performance has me hopeful too as if Intel releases a discrete GPU, it'll be a good one. Maybe not the best, but at least another contender in the $250-$400 market.

Well, for a long time now drivers have been as important as the hardware in the GPU space. Intel may put out something with pixel pushing power but last I looked their drivers were 6 month releases. It may take a good long while for them to truly catch up and I fully expect them to abandon GPUs again.

Well, for a long time now drivers have been as important as the hardware in the GPU space. Intel may put out something with pixel pushing power but last I looked their drivers were 6 month releases. It may take a good long while for them to truly catch up and I fully expect them to abandon GPUs again.
It doesn't surprise me that Intel has a slow release cycle, given the only fast-pace thing that would drive it is games and most users of Intel's GPUs aren't exactly gaming on them.

Driver updates from AMD and NVIDIA I don't see being any better. At best you get an update to include a profile for the latest and greatest game(s), but they don't touch performance updates for anything older. It's rare for a driver update to have a general sweeping improvement.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Ryzen 4800U has a 25 watt mode, yet you didn't bother showing in a like for like comparison.

Even Hardware UnBoxed showed it, yet you omitted testing it.

If you're going to compare Power Levels of these mobile parts, it needs to be 15 watt vs 15 watt and 28 watt vs 25 watt.

None of this random smashing of part together and letting one side get to ramp up the power curve while the other doesn't.

You wonder why people accuse Tom's Hardware of Intel Favortisim.

You obviously ignore what already exists.

Check other reviewers once in a while, you'll see what you're missing.

Reactions: st379
So as I said a few weeks ago, theres no point in going hype on intels numbers, better to get a device, put hands on and test, and honestly I don't see any huge performance increase compared to the Ryzen chip.

As the artcle said, it barely catch up to the Ryzen chip, and its better only on those few single core and IA learning tests)

Of course if you double the wattage the system should perform a bit better. But even so it does not impress much.

And I agree, competition is good!!!

This wasn't a test, this was a commercial. This is the TLDR version of the "test":
  1. A bunch of information concerning Intel's newest version of Sandy Bridge
  2. A disclaimer about not being allowed to test battery life, because, Intel
  3. A bunch of information about Iris Xe that says essentially nothing
  4. A bunch of tests that show 15W Intel loses badly to 15W AMD
  5. TH almost doubles Intel's TDP so that it could get close to AMD's scores
  6. "Dynamic Tuning"/OC to ensure Intel could narrowly win against AMD
  7. Surreal praise to Intel despite clearly losing badly to AMD without help
  8. Haphazard conclusion that doesn't explain the weird methodology
  9. A comments section that pans this horribly flawed excuse for a test
  10. Me sitting here wondering what the hell I just read was supposed to be
All in all, about five minutes of my life that I'll never see again. At least it was far better than the crap on PC World. LOL

Last edited:
Wow, here's a big surprise! PC World, one of the "pay for the win" sites, has the i7-1185G7 at 28W TDP, doing better against the R7-4800U at 38W TDP than it did against the 15W R7-4800U on both Tom's Hardware and AnandTech.

I should tell you about sites like PC World (and PC Magazine for that matter).

The outcomes of the tests from PC World and PC Magazine are based on who is giving them the most advertising dollars (these are old-school publications and still use old-school tactics). I used to read both publications back in the 80s and 90s when they were in print and I liked them a lot but I didn't have independent internet articles to compare them to. I especially liked PC Magazine's back page which always had a feature called "Abort, Retry, Fail?" which was full of tech jokes. I sometimes wonder how many of their articles were paid shilling because their articles now are seen as paid garbage by experienced old-timers like me.

Reactions: Kamen Rider Blade

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
This wasn't a test, this was a commercial. This is the TLDR version of the "test":
  1. A bunch of information concerning Intel's newest version of Sandy Bridge
  2. A disclaimer about not being allowed to test battery life, because, Intel
  3. A bunch of information about Iris Xe that says essentially nothing
  4. A bunch of tests that show 15W Intel loses badly to 15W AMD
  5. TH almost doubles Intel's TDP so that it could get close to AMD's scores
  6. "Dynamic Tuning"/OC to ensure Intel could narrowly win against AMD
  7. Surreal praise to Intel despite clearly losing badly to AMD without help
  8. Haphazard conclusion that doesn't explain the weird methodology
  9. A comments section that pans this horribly flawed excuse for a test
  10. Me sitting here wondering what the hell I just read was supposed to be
All in all, about five minutes of my life that I'll never see again. At least it was far better than the crap on PC World. LOL
So disappointing....
I was excited to see new architecture from Intel and that Paul will check it out.
Hoped for some Blender, Adobe , Matlab.... and the usual from Paul and saw this really bad review.
Like the boot up review with one vendor and one chipset and zero variety.

Don't know what is going on with the quality of the reviews on this site lately.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Lenovo Slim 7 with Renoir has several performance modes. I think the quiet one is 15W, then there is the default, recommended 'balanced', and also- 'extreme performance'. The latter runs at 27W sustained plugged in, 30W from battery (yes, in that order). Balanced profile- just a bit below that- though I can not remember exact wattage. Should be at about 25W though.
Hardware Unboxed have a review of 4800U in the same Slim 7, at 15W and 25W (not vs Tiger Lake though):
View: https://youtu.be/hFYdHkvRs2c
HWUB says they're testing an Ideapad Slim 7, as compared to the Yoga Slim 7 used in this TH article. However, when HWUB is showcasing the laptop in their video it clearly says "Yoga" on the back, so who knows?

Anyway, Anandtech also used a Yoga Slim 7 (same as TH), and they state:

"Our AMD Renoir system is one of the most premium examples of AMD’s Ryzen Mobile in a 15W form factor, the Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 with the eight-core Ryzen 7 4800U processor. Even when set to the highest performance mode, the system still operates with a 15 W sustained power draw."

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
HWUB says they're testing an Ideapad Slim 7, as compared to the Yoga Slim 7 used in this TH article. However, when HWUB is showcasing the laptop in their video it clearly says "Yoga" on the back, so who knows?

Anyway, Anandtech also used a Yoga Slim 7 (same as TH), and they state:

"Our AMD Renoir system is one of the most premium examples of AMD’s Ryzen Mobile in a 15W form factor, the Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 with the eight-core Ryzen 7 4800U processor. Even when set to the highest performance mode, the system still operates with a 15 W sustained power draw."

As you can see in the video the 15 and 25 watt of the Yoga give different resluts. Very strange what Ian is saying.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
As you can see in the video the 15 and 25 watt of the Yoga give different resluts. Very strange what Ian is saying.
Given that HWUB apparently can't even keep straight whether they're testing a Yoga or an Ideapad, I'm going to have to trust Ian on this one.

Edit: Assuming HWUB is actually testing an Ideapad as they claim they are, rather than the Yoga that is visually showcased, maybe Ideapads do have variable TDP while Yogas don't?

Edit2: Looks like the Ideapad and Yoga may be the same laptop after all, just different names for different countries. But even if they have the same hardware, they don't necessarily have the same software/firmware. But yeah, I really don't know why HWUB was able to test at multiple cTDP while TH/Anandtech weren't...

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Why wasnt the 4800U configured to 25W to compare its GPU like for like with the Intel at 25W? Whats the point of showing the Intel 25W config vs. the AMD locked down to 15W?
I'm pretty sure that for many laptops this is a fixed value chosen by the OEM, not something the user can change on the fly. Obviously it would have been best if they could have tested with a 4800U laptop that did have that option (or two different laptops, one at each TDP), but sometimes you're limited by what you have available.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Given that HWUB apparently can't even keep straight whether they're testing a Yoga or an Ideapad, I'm going to have to trust Ian on this one.

Edit: Assuming HWUB is actually testing an Ideapad as they claim they are, rather than the Yoga that is visually showcased, maybe Ideapads do have variable TDP while Yogas don't?
"
Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7 14" Review (AMD Ryzen)
Source: Mobile Tech Review
Lisa Gade reviews the Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7, a 14” Ultrabook with a premium design and a relatively nice price of $899. In some countries, it’s is called the Yoga Slim 7 .
"

Seems to me like the same notebook?
Sorry, but I will go with HardwareUnboxed on this one. Much more reliable than all this weird benchmarks and their reputation is much better than other sites that I know of.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

GetSmart

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Yet another preview https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09/intel-tiger-lake-test/ 🐯

Should be noted that many of those benchmark results (including in the other reviews) are with the laptop plugged in, not running on batteries. Refer to Tom's Hardware review to check what happens when running just on batteries only. Performance will differ greatly on AMD Renoir powered laptops. This behavior is also known on all other laptops including those powered by Intel Comet Lake chips (performance will drop when running on batteries, can check that out at Notebookcheck as well). Seems that Intel decided to allow Intel Tiger Lake to maintain nearly the same performance when running on batteries... ;)

Sep 17, 2020
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16084/intel-tiger-lake-review-deep-dive-core-11th-gen

is 15w just for the based clock? single thread test is running at 50w? so many questions

anandtech did a better job
yup best web surfing cpu.
if brainwasher fanboy could stop talking this <Mod Edit>?
never stop blame this blame that think he are smart ,other people don't know.
if you doubt about renoir apu running in what tdp ,just look 1065g7
you think renoir vega 8 can beat 1065g7 30% using 15w?
even 4900hs run in 45w still can't beat 1065g7 more than 45%
so ,chould you stop to talk this <Mod Edit> ?
renoir 100% running 25w or even higher
alway thinking people want cheat you just all this amd fanboy look like idiot

before agui that tigerlake using lpddr4 4266 and amd using 3700, now they give amd lpddr4 4266mhz 16g ram did you see that?

Last edited by a moderator:

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Why wasnt the 4800U configured to 25W to compare its GPU like for like with the Intel at 25W? Whats the point of showing the Intel 25W config vs. the AMD locked down to 15W?

Seeing how the Renoir Vega GPU barely edges out the Tiger Lake Xe GPU in all tests at 15W, it would have been very useful to show the differences at 25W. Unless Im understanding this wrong and the 4800u was configured for 25W, thats a pretty huge test to omit.

Oh cool!! Finally someone who understand the power issue.....

I have been saying for a long long time that power is the main limitation for these CPUs, not number of cores. If the 4800U is limited to just 15W, it will have a hard time competing with a 4 core CPU running at 25W. Having more cores isn't really useless if you can't utilise them properly due to insufficient power.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I have said before that mobile CPUs are a poor indication of actual CPU performance. Because you can play with the power limits to vastly increase performance. These CPUs are just like earlier versions where they could run at 40-50W (PL1 limit) for a brief period of time. So, as long as your benchmark is short, you will see a massive boost in performance. And then, these mobile CPUs are also limited by limited cooling capacity of laptop. So, you face throttling issues as well.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

rgd1101

Don't
if brainwasher fanboy could stop talking this <Mod Edit>?
never stop blame this blame that think he are smart ,other people don't know.
if you doubt about renoir apu running in what tdp ,just look 1065g7
you think renoir vega 8 can beat 1065g7 30% using 15w?
even 4900hs run in 45w still can't beat 1065g7 more than 45%
so ,chould you stop to talk this <Mod Edit> ?
renoir 100% running 25w or even higher
alway thinking people want cheat you just all this amd fanboy look like idiot

before agui that tigerlake using lpddr4 4266 and amd using 3700, now they give amd lpddr4 4266mhz 16g ram did you see that?
I actually like what I see form the other review. but hold off for the suppose 8 cores that is coming. but some intel fanboy would pick them without reading review(s) and just cherry picking data.

And look like all these review are from intel reference laptop. wonder what cooling like and what the laptop weight

So disappointing....
I was excited to see new architecture from Intel and that Paul will check it out.
Hoped for some Blender, Adobe , Matlab.... and the usual from Paul and saw this really bad review.
Like the boot up review with one vendor and one chipset and zero variety.

Don't know what is going on with the quality of the reviews on this site lately.
I wish that it were only lately. Remember that embarrassment of an article about the RTX 20 series that told people to "Just Buy It!" from TH's editor? I haven't seen an article so forcefully panned by both the public and the tech press before or since and I've been around so long that I used to read PC World and PC Mag when they were actual printed magazines. When the real Tom left, the quality went down. It hasn't become a bad place, it's just not what it was.

I've been a member here for over a decade. Damn, I'm getting OLD. LOL

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
Funny that unplugged, the Ryzen 4800U has a lower single core score (675) than a 2019 phone! Even the Samsung Galaxy S10 outperforms it (691)! Yet some try to present this sorry piece of AMD s...ilicon as the best thing ever.

oWzJozF.png

M8VYarq.gif

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
one word geekbench. as useful as windows experience index.
I suppose you think that Cinebench is way better, right? In any case, regardless of what you think of Geekbench you should see how much the score of the 4800U drops when unplugged relative to its own score when plugged. Unplugged it drops to 59.2% of its plugged score. A drop in performance of over 40%. Here comes AMD’s shenanigans. You see when unplugged AMD’s frequency plummets in order for their laptops to look good in battery duration benchmarks. But when plugged they draw way way more power in order to look good on performance benchmarks (which AMD knows reviewers are only conducting when plugged in).

Now about that TDP of AMD’s cpus. That’s a complete farce. You see AMD coined a different term to refer to their real TDP: Package Power Tracking (PPT). In the desktop processors this was set to 88W for the “65W TDP” cpus and 142W for the “105W TDP” cpus. That’s a bit over 35% in each case compared to the advertised TDP. This PPT is a sustained power limit for an indefinite amount of time by the way (provided the cooling is not a limit). This is like Intel’s PL1. In laptops AMD went a step further and coined PPT_long and PPT_short. The former is like Intel’s PL1 and the latter is like Intel’s PL2. PPT_short is sustained for a short period of time similar to how Intel’s PL2 is sustained for a short period of τ seconds. For the 4800U there are two “TDP” modes: “15W” and “25W”. When on “15W” the PPT_long (i.e. real tdp) is 25W. The PPT_short is something higher (~45W). When on 25W they have a PPT_long (i.e. real tdp) of 35W. The PPT_short is 63W.

So all the AMD fbs saying that this article may have tested the 4800U only in 15W mode should know that even in that case that would be the equivalent of Intel’s 25W mode and the fair thing to do. And when the 4800U is set to performance mode it is equivalent to an Intel’s 35W mode.

Also watch this where it clearly states that the 4800U is a 35W tdp cpu.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yl_ziFcOA4&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=HardwareCanucks

TRENDING THREADS