steveb

Distinguished
May 11, 2003

Currently I have a domain controller acting as the time server, i.e. it goes
out to the internet to access a time server, this controller is not the main
ADC (PDC).
Reading reports recommends the PDC to act as the time server, if so, how
easy is it to move the time server over to the PDC (command examples would
be good).

Thanks

The fsmo pdc is the time server, there is nothing to move. You need to
point the fsmo pdc to the external time source and leave all others to
default to the internal time server. Clients will get their time from a dc
and all dc's should be getting their time from the fsmo pdc.

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 07:42:37 GMT, "steveb" <steveburch@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Currently I have a domain controller acting as the time server, i.e. it goes
>out to the internet to access a time server, this controller is not the main
>ADC (PDC).
>Reading reports recommends the PDC to act as the time server, if so, how
>easy is it to move the time server over to the PDC (command examples would
>be good).
>
>Thanks

How did you do that (getting the clients and other DC to synch with it?

Undo what you did.

See http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=816042 "How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows Server 2003 "

or

tip 8497 » AuthSync.bat script makes your Windows Server 2003 PDC emulator the authoritative time server for your domain.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.