[SOLVED] Time to replace the SSD?

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
I'm not familiar with how much time this SSD has left, should I replace it right now or can I use it until it dies?

YtEXlrX.png

RZw7oPZ.png

Solution
No need to replace. The health percentage is based on the TBW, or total bytes written, which is chosen for warranty purposes. It does NOT relate to actual endurance.

In this case, the 250GB SL308 has a 75TB TBW. You have ~6.755TB written. There's probably more SMART data (scroll down, or check Hard Disk Sentinel) where it will list NAND writes vs. HOST writes - on my SL308 (similar drive) it's SMART values 234/EA & 241/F1. You're wondering why I mention this - it's because there's write amplification which means you do more writes than it states. In any case, based on your health % and wear leveling amount: (.82)(75) = 61.5, 75 - 61.5 = 13.5TB. This is exactly two times your listed host writes which could mean a write amplification...
Yes, I agree on that point. You should be fine with the drive for now. No way to know for sure when failure could occur. I keep system image backups, plus multiple backups on multiple drives of my important data. May seem like overkill, but it can save a bunch of headaches if the need arises to recover your data.

No need to replace. The health percentage is based on the TBW, or total bytes written, which is chosen for warranty purposes. It does NOT relate to actual endurance.

In this case, the 250GB SL308 has a 75TB TBW. You have ~6.755TB written. There's probably more SMART data (scroll down, or check Hard Disk Sentinel) where it will list NAND writes vs. HOST writes - on my SL308 (similar drive) it's SMART values 234/EA & 241/F1. You're wondering why I mention this - it's because there's write amplification which means you do more writes than it states. In any case, based on your health % and wear leveling amount: (.82)(75) = 61.5, 75 - 61.5 = 13.5TB. This is exactly two times your listed host writes which could mean a write amplification factor (WAF) of 2.0 which is well within consumer range (1.5-3.0). Or it might just mean the TBW is actually 1/2 of what they claim (old firmware?)

In any case - this matches up numerically but has nothing to do with actual lifespan. Look at SMART values B3 & B4: you used 255 spare blocks with 5185 left. So the ACTUAL health of your drive is closer to 95% by that estimate (well, worst-case is 27 spare blocks, but anyway this is a raw estimate). So your drive is in no danger of dying from writes, however the raw age of the drive might cause it to fail in some other way.

Reactions: gusnd
Solution

TRENDING THREADS