Time Warner Cable Approves Comcast Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldun

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Comcast has a website dedicated to the merger, which claims that this deal will make life better for more people. How? By bringing "faster Internet speeds, a more reliable and more secure network, net neutrality protection, low-cost Internet access, and programming diversity to millions of new customers across the country."

They Say that now, to get approval, but in 2-3 years time there will still be no upgrades for the customers. FCC should block this deal

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
they want not only to be able to keep thier monopolies in the future if and when more tv options are avaiable in aeas, but they also want more collective bargining power to lower the cost of the retransmission fees from the actual networks providing content. I guess the Viacom blackout a few years back made them want to be assured if they push to that point again they will lose alot moe money. alot of cities have fiber, why don't we actually use said fiber lines and open up the playing field for actual competition ... oh right lobbyists, silly me.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Lobbyists be damned! It is actually happening in some areas - http://greenlightnetworks.com/

That said: IF the deal is approved (note the public comment period at the FCC has been extended - so get your opinion in now), the resultant company will drive itself into the ground as their combined customer service will be even more garbage leading to even more complaints to the FTC and other real powers that be - at least in my opinion anyway.

Both companies have poor to horrible customer service, so expect that to get even worse.
Both companies are known to want to charge "big" companies extra for bandwidth their customers have already paid for. So expect more of that.
Both companies keep raising prices, and cutting service. Especially if you are still on analog service/ So expect this to get much worse.
I see no benefits for customers of either of these companies. None. Prices will not go down. They will not stay stable. And yes, with no competition, they will go UP!!!
I believe that we should be breaking these companies into smaller parts and forcing them to compete against each other, not letting them merge. Only when they have to compete against real competition will prices come down, service get better, and options increase.
Anything short of a breakup and compete order will be a huge loss for the public.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Well my area is getting sold to Charter so TW/ Comcast doesn't get "too big" in the process.
But if anything holds true, Comcast is going to celebrate by sacrificing newborn children and puppies on an alter to Cthulhu for a month or two.

Messenger ofdeath

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
TWC what is wrong with you? Almost everyone in my area uses you for TV and internet. If your going bankrupt then it must be your own fault don't sell the business fix it or hand it to someone who can....

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
2 companies become one = more choices?

That defies logic.

Thanks for insulting the consumers intelligence.

"We weren't competing?" Why? Because you weren't in each others territory? You should have competed, that would have benefited the consumer but no, let's combine our companies so we gain the profit and size and increase our monopoly and control of the consumer all at the same time!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The merger will make life better for at least 15 million people who are stuck between Time Warner Cable and ATT. For all the is wrong with Comcast, at least they are not as bad as Time Warner Cable.

As a person who has worked for Time Warner Cable, their system is a hodge podge that is an example of how it was formed. They bought a bunch of small local cable companies and have a disjointed system that has different management software used in different regions. There are so many points of human error its baffling why they have not fixed these weaknesses yet. 90% of the jobs I took with them had some error that needed to be corrected and wasted 20% of my time daily. They must employ a large number of people just to correct mistakes.

I also used to work with Cox. They have high standards, but also give you the tools to succeed and meet those standards. They are also understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.