Question TLS 1.2 transition

ILLGotti

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
So this is some of the most mind numbing reading I've ever done, trying to figure out how to switch to TLS 1.2.

Basically, the business I work for has a major client who is demanding that everyone who works for them switches to TLS 1.2 to stay in compliance.

We called a local computer company and they want to charge us thousands of dollars and switch us to Outlook 365.

We run mostly outlook 2013 and 2016 and the company that hosts our email has us connected with SSL.

I'm trying to figure out how to switch to TLS 1.2 without spending so much money. I've been reading everything I can and I'm starting to grow suspicious of the company that quoted us thousands of dollars.

I went to "www.checktls.com" and ran a test and it says its able to connect with TLS.

I understand that a TLS1.2 certificate is still called an SSL certificate... but I am really getting pretty confused.

I just want to save us money and i am starting to think this might not be hard to do, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Please help

Ralston18

Titan
TLS being "Transport Layer Security" - correct?

More information/reference:

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2303073/lan-wan-what-is-transport-layer-security-protocol.html

and

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/security/prepare-tls-1.2-in-office-365

Overall, I am very much reminded of the Y2K panic almost 20 years ago. And that "panic" often included thousands of dollars of charges....

You are very correct with respect to that "local computer company".....

Here are three suggestions:

1.) Absolutely determine where your client is now. Why that demand, reasons, rational, etc....

2.) Absolutely determine where your client needs to be (e.g., TLS 1.2)

3). Absolutely determine how your client must go from 1.) to 2.).

Then prepare a RFP (Request for Proposal) to submit to computer companies (local or otherwise) to get quotes.

Not an answer per se to your post. But the gutsy part is that you must really dig into things, learn more, and press the issues, the issues, and matters at all levels.

May not be hard to do. Then again (full disclosure) my experience has occasionally proven otherwise.

Follow your instincts, your knowledge, and your experience.

And the facts....