To all of you, who predicted socket 754 death soon..

pat

Expert
It s quite funny how things happens!! since socket 939 was introduced, people were advising against socket 754 because it was a dead end..

Now, I read that!

So, to all of you who still believe in futureproof system.. hope you'll learn something. Don't build for the future.. build for NOW

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Could be a supply issue. AMD may have over estimated their production and could have too many Socket 754s left over since everybody switched to Socket 939s.

jodo

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
actually the reasoning behind this is main-stream OEM makers. The semprons still make a lot of sense when it comes to selling a sub 500 machine. Many retailers sell systems that are 754 semprons and will for some time. The socket 939 doesn't house the low-end chips, never has. the AM2 is the successor to the 939 IMO, and won't house the low end chips either until obviously near Q4 07. I have a 754 pin AMD 64 3200+( withe the 1MB L2 cache at 2.0 Ghz) and there is nothing i can really do to upgrade. Sure i can go for the 3800+ that im sure i can find on ebay or something but whats the point of that. For enthusiasts and build it yourselfers, the 754 died as soon as 939 became popular. end of story.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
no dual core... last card supported on 754 was the 3700+ (i have it, pretty fast... but very hot... clocked at 2.4 with 1mb cache) it has 2800 3000 3200 3400 3700... all single core

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Theoretically, AMD can build dual-core cpus and FX cpus for S754...but you finally have the most sense here. This article isn't pointing out that S754 is more futureproof than S939, that's ridiculous. S754 is cheap, and OEM's love selling cheap PC's. S939 is better and more futureproof than S754 because S939 IS BETTER, NEWER TECHNOLOGY. If AMD stops selling S939 mobos/cpus today, and they continue to sell S754 cpus through 2040--S939 is still better technology, period.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
they make up to fx-55 i think for 754, maybe fx-57... there kinda a waste to buy because there still ultra expensive, and run very hot... so they wont overclock much without watercooling... clawhammer is pretty much the prescott of amd, without all of the heat protection features :(... but if ur on a really tight budget and dont want dual core... 754 is still a good deal, i got my 3700+ and mobo for 200 bux, and am very happy with the system. dual channel memory doesnt even make THAT much of a difference... just expect to buy a copper heatsink for any clawhammer...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
guess i just remembered wrong, and forgot about 940 :p... as for "run cool" my 2.4 stock speed 3700+ runs at a "cool" 50 degrees idle, and 66 load, topping out at 70 (its die temp) this is in a thermaltake tsunami case with 2 120 mm fans blowing at 100cfm and 2 80 mm fans in the psu, also with an 80 mm cpu fan at 2400 rpm AND! a socket cooler, plus the cooler on video card, so my case has some nice airflow, even with the side off an a huge window fan blowing on it it never gets under 47 (room temp is about 65-70F) the temp monitor is right because when i touch it at higher temps the heatpipes are quite warm.. not so hot i have to pull away but pretty warm... ill admit i think the sensor is broken at lower temps for some reason, because in the winter i did a test, taking off the side panel and letting my room cool to about 25F and the cpu temp was 47... with AS5... :roll:

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
For many, many people socket 754 is just right. Most people are not looking for the ultimate in performance from their PC, since many are only using it for web surfing, email, and running some photo or greeting card programs. They want something that will do what they need and at a nice price. They aren't worried about upgrading, since they'll just use their PC as it is until it dies. Sometimes the performance/gaming PC crowd mistake themselves as the majority, when they are the vast minority.

Xabbo

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
The reason 939 is getting canned is that it directly competes with socket 940. AMD isnt quite dumb enough to think that they are going to be able to push "new" processors when the existing 939 procs perform as good if not better. Plus it will be even harder to sell 940 at "new technology" prices when the consumer will just buy the older ones on the cheap.

pat

Expert
That's a little my point. Some peoples came here looking for advice on CPU. I'm talking about 1 or 2 years ago. For most of them, socket 754 were right for thm. Casual users with lmited need for performance. While socket 754 would have brought them something nice and cheap, they were advised against for the only reason that it was a dead socket. PCI-e motherboard weren't supposed to appears for it too.. now look, there is plenty of them and Epox even make a SLI motherboard for socket 754. The 3700+ cpu is still one fast CPU. Running at 2.4 GHz, it has nothing to envy to the 3800+ 939 CPU..

I'm not able to say 100% sure that dual core sempron won't be made available for it. If Intel got cheap dual core for the mass, then AMD will follow. Remember, first socket 754 were not 64 bits enabld... Intel got celeron 64bit, so does AMD..

Nobody knows exactly what will happen. Us, customers, are just puppets manipulated by them.. they make us believe what they want us to believe, they make us bought what they want us to buy. puppets in the hand of skilled puppetters. Fanboybeing the best puppets.. so easy to manipulate... So, tonight, listen to metallica's song "master of puppets" ...

Sad but true.. 8O Still from metallica..

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
What I find interesting is that AM2's days are already numbered even before it's released. From the article 9-inch originally posted, it seems developers are already looking at an AM3 for DDR3 support.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30617

AT CEBIT we came across a few people mentioning the next AMD socket called, wait for it, AM3.

If you can't figure it out, it is the successor to AM2, and it supports DDR3 while AMD does DDR2. If you look at AMD's future chips, you can see that Santa Rosa does DDR2 and Cerebus does FBD, so that would put AM3 on Deerhound.
HKEPC has also reported it.

Original Chinese:
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=574791

Translated:
http://www.google.ca/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hkepc.com%2Fbbs%2Fnews.php%3Ftid%3D574791&langpair=zh-CN%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
What I find interesting about the whole Socket 754/939 and 939/AM2 issue is something I have not found brought up yet in these forums - Socket F (1207-pin).

When THG first posted about AMD's new processors, they mentioned that there was going to be a "consumer" level chip (Socket AM2) and a "server" level chip, Socket F.

As I recall, the same thing happened when the Athlon 64 was first launched. The "consumer" level was socket 754, where as the "server" level was socket 940. The 940 beat the 754 in just about every way, but required registered memory. There was major interest in this chip for the gaming/enthusiast crowd, but nobody wanted the registered DIMMs.

So then AMD released the socket 939, which did not require the registered memory. Seemingly overnight, Socket 754 faded to a mere budget processor. Something that, as many have posted, gets used by OEMs for sub-$500 systems.

I think we may be in store for history repeating itself. I want to see the Socket F benchmarks versus AM2 and 939. If Socket F beats AM2 hands down (especially in gaming), I have no dobut that we will see AM2 become the "budget" processor within Socket F's first year of life.

If somebody has benchmarks for Socket F, I'd be very grateful if you could post a link to them.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What game can't you run with a Clawhammer on a 754 platform? I run 52,000 Aquamark 3 scores with a 6800O/C card. Far Cry, HL2, DOOM3, etc all run super. My overclocked Northwood @ 3.6ghz with a 9800Pro card will hit 50Keasy. Once all the games are optimized for DC platforms things will be different. For right now a D/C platform is of no use for me. :roll:

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
My old 3700+ is still going strong although I killed my DFI. Oh well hopefully the K8N-E i gott off of ebay today will replace it with no issues.

seanx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
So said:
Yeah well as most ppl have mentioned AMD has kept these for the OEM
market , i.e the cheap company re-sell.

I think 939 is superior mainly due o dual-channel memory addressing
this is where 754 failed imo ;-)

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
we still sell 754 based systems still its what thay can afford i norm give them an option for better more upgradeable 939 but alot seem to be happy with 2800+ semprons (256k vers i only sell 128k ones seem to not work well under some heavy load) and thay are quite compereable to amd XP chips as the 754 on chip DDR controller speed is plenty and thay just never overheat if the heat sink was bigger it run passive (down clock it will)

stoppard

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
What game can't you run with a Clawhammer on a 754 platform? I run 52,000 Aquamark 3 scores with a 6800O/C card. Far Cry, HL2, DOOM3, etc all run super. My overclocked Northwood @ 3.6ghz with a 9800Pro card will hit 50Keasy. Once all the games are optimized for DC platforms things will be different. For right now a D/C platform is of no use for me. :roll:

On the same note. My am3 score.
evenmorebetter9ub.jpg

I'm still running socket A(462). My oc'd 2600+ (@ 2.3 ghz air cooled. Temp at 43c running prime 95), and agp 7800gs will run any game out there. And this is a pretty mild OC. Check out the url in my sig and look at the benchmark thread to see some lots higher. I'm currently playing Fear at high resolutions and exellent frame rates. It looks amazing, and there is no hitching or lag. I know that gfx card is expensive. But it was alot less to upgrade than to build a whole new machine.

When AM2 comes out I'll probably build a socket 939 machine. Being a step or two behind the cutting edge stuff saves a lot of hassle. There is a large knowledge base if you run in to problems, and alot of information on what components to buy/stay away from. Most importantly, the majority of the bugs are already worked out.

I'm perfectly happy to save money while others blow it on the next new thing.