to Quad channel or Dual channel the memory. that is the Question

twoguns

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
1st build.the case is a very sexy NZXT Phantom, mobo ASUS Maximus VII, i7 4790k proc.. but enough of that (unless you need more) but as the evening draws near here is my question..
if a train leaves NY traveling 72 mph and a train leaves LA traveling 55mph.
oh wait thats something different.
Memory Gskill RipjawsZ-F3-14900CL8Q-16GBZM (4X4G=16G 1866MHZ) or Gskill TridentX F3-1866C8D-16GTX (2X8G=16G)..

Solution
With the Maximus VII mobos and your CPU, I'd look to the Tridents 2x8GB TridentX F3-1866C8D-16GTX...While you can run 4 sticks they will still run but in dual channel mode, it's a limitation of the CPU and mobo chipset. The socket 2011 mobos and associated CPUs are about it for running true quad channel

twoguns

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
ok but in the owners manual (yeah the first time Ive ever read one) for capability it states that I can use either setup for up to 32GB. I dont mind using just the 2 8GB but as it is in my genetic code to always wonder if the 4 4GBs would be a mil sec faster should I have gone with it.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
With the Maximus VII mobos and your CPU, I'd look to the Tridents 2x8GB TridentX F3-1866C8D-16GTX...While you can run 4 sticks they will still run but in dual channel mode, it's a limitation of the CPU and mobo chipset. The socket 2011 mobos and associated CPUs are about it for running true quad channel

Solution

twoguns

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
Then why in the world would I even want to upgrade 32GB of memory? (of course I want to upgrade 32GB of memory as this defect is also built into my genetic code)
Thanks for the great info everyone!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

DRAM is a 64 bit device, when operated in dual channel, whether it be 2 sticks or for - ALL the DRAM is seen as a SINGLE 128 bit device, so actually the 2x8GB vs 4x4GB is the better choice since while the MC (memory controller) sees all the DRAM as a single device, it's is only running it through 2 pipes (or lanes) vs 4 w/ 4 sticks, so it can be ever so little faster w/ 2 sticks

twoguns

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
honestly ive learned the little bit I know from a friend Pete who pointed me to trolling tomshardware forums for different little tid bits and I never even thought about Quad channel or dual channel memory(or mobo's to run that memory) until it came down to looking at my final two choices of memory and realized that I must have an answer to this question. (remember if it aint broke why fix it. it takes a college education to break it and a high school education to fix it)