To those people angry about not getting their OS CD...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

laura

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> This sure seems to be a situation that is not consistent with every Dell
> shipped. I received my 2400 at the end of March and it did not include the
> resource CDs with the drivers and such but it did include XP Home with
> SP2. I have used it to format and reinstall on the 2400 without a problem.
> I am wondering though since I ordered through the small business site
> could the home site have different procedures?

It appears that folks ordering PCs from the Small business side of the house
are getting different treatment from those of us that order Home systems.

My new machine came with the CDs for AOhell and the DVD/CD burning software
only. I did call yesterday and they are sending the OS and Driver CDs that
they NO LONGER provide to us.

laura

The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no good.
As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2 for a
clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
> have a
> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>>your own:
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>>
>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
>> this though.

You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
> BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
> drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no
> good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2
> for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
>
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
>> have a
>> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
>> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>>>your own:
>>>
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>>>
>>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
>>> this though.

tiffany

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

If you call Microsoft they will give you a few extra activations to account
for hardware changes. It may be inconvenient, but that's MS's way of dealing
with Piracy of the Windows platform. Office also has the same activation
scheme.

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
> You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
> reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?

From tha MS web site:

" If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of
hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to
reactivate Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone
number displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software. "

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

laura

<tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
> <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> snipped all
>
> I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.
>
> I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.
>
> I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
> stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.
>
> Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
> it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.
>
> We shall see.

I got the CD for AOHell, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Sonic MyDVD and Word Perfect.
This is a lot less than I have gotten in the past from Dell.

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:40:15 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
wrote:

><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
>> <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> snipped all
>>
>> I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.
>>
>> I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.
>>
>> I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
>> stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.
>>
>> Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
>> it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.
>>
>> We shall see.
>
>I got the CD for AOHell, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Sonic MyDVD and Word Perfect.
>This is a lot less than I have gotten in the past from Dell.

This whole mess is going to come back and them in their financial butt.

laura

"Bob Johnson" <goldsheet@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
> Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
> have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
> START menu (as you originally described above),
> so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

The start menu entry on my machine is pointing to: C:\DELL\MEDIAEXE\ODM.EXE.

Are you also missing the Dell Accessaries folder in the start menu? Have you
been uninstalling the extra Dell bloatware?

laura

Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses the
real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an install
CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And dealing with
Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another story for
another day. But that being said it is because of my experience last summer
that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk in addition to a
Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
> You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
> reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?
>

> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking
>> disk. BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on
>> THAT hard drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery
>> CD is no good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of
>> XP SP2 for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
>>
>> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
>>> have a
>>> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
>>> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
>>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

tiffany

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just assuming
that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states that is is a "
Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".

> Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses the
> real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an
> install CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And
> dealing with Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another
> story for another day. But that being said it is because of my experience
> last summer that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk in
> addition to a Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

laura

That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be used
to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank Hard drive.
It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.

<tedB@bommer.net> wrote
> It is becoming more and more obvious how MS/DELL have screwed all of us.

you folks need to cool your jets. i bought a dimension 3000 for my gfriend
about a month ago. i wasn't happy when i saw there was no OS cd to be
found. however, i contacted dell support via their chat interface and i
received the OS cd shipment in three days. your mileage may vary, but
that's my story.

laura

I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will not
work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden partition. It
will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive because the
install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I commented to the
Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able to install XP on a
replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try and tell me that the
Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So for now I still believe
that we are better off having the real XP OS CD. YMMV

> Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just assuming
> that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states that is is a
> " Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".
>
> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>> Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses
>> the real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an
>> install CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And
>> dealing with Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another
>> story for another day. But that being said it is because of my experience
>> last summer that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk
>> in addition to a Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with you
computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you boot...to
access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need a CD.

Isn't this correct?

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message news:l0Bae.26809$gs4.11787@okepread05...
> What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
> HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with you
> computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you boot...to
> access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need a CD.

Well that reinstalls everything I believe, but the point still stands. If
the OS CD you create can only reinstall on an original HD that has
the restore partition, it would seem to be redundant.

IIRC, one thing you can do with a real OS CD is boot it and perform
repairs via the recovery console. Conceptually at least, I suppose the
CD you create could have the unique purpose of allowing you to do
that. But that seems like a stretch to me.

Not having the means to restore the OS (and apps) from optical media
to a new non-Dell HD is a rather serious issue if you ask me. I could
see Dell providing a means to create said CDs rather than providing
CDs, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that reinstall from created
CDs would be contingent upon having a Dell HD & restore partition.
If your HD failed you'd either have to acquire a new one from Dell,
or acquire a new one from elsewhere *and* an OS. Knowledgeable
users would be furious.

laura

That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.

I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing HD.
Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I have
never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know if that
would work on these machines.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19#step1

> That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
> good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
> before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.
>
> I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing HD.
> Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I have
> never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know if
> that would work on these machines.
>
> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
>> What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
>> HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with
>> you computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you
>> boot...to access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need
>> a CD.
>>
>> Isn't this correct?
>>
>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>>>I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
>>>able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
>>>compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will
>>>not work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden
>>>partition. It will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive
>>>because the install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I
>>>commented to the Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able
>>>to install XP on a replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try
>>>and tell me that the Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So
>>>for now I still believe that we are better off having the real XP OS CD.
>>>YMMV
>>>
>>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

TedB

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:05:10 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
wrote:

>That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
>good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
>before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.

I found all the SATA and other driver placed by Dell in

C:\Drivers

It contains 6 folders:
Audio
Modem
Network
Storage
System
Video

That helps. Now to copy to a CD.

BigJim

it boots like a copy of xp
"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
> BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
> drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no
> good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2
> for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
>
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
>> have a
>> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
>> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>>>your own:
>>>
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>>>
>>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
>>> this though.

BigJim

well it boots from cd but I have no use to install at this time/
need someone with a dell sitting around with a clean hard drive to try it
because if it is a real OS then you can install it on any dell system/

> That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be
> used to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank Hard
> drive. It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.
>
> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't
>> cover?
>>

>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>>> They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I
>>> even called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.
>>>
>>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

laura

And where do either page say that the CDs created can be used on a new hard
drive where the OS is not on a hidden partition?

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:05:37 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>

>>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>>>What "Recovery CD?"
>>>
>>>I received no such CD with the computer.
>>>
>>>Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>>>
>>>(This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>>>problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>>>will NEVER buy from them again.)
>>
>>When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
>>the same thing happens... Nothing.
>
> I have no such menu item as Dell ResourceCD.
>
> I have only Dell OS Recovery CD.
>
>>The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
>>
>>Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?
>>
>>Notan
>
> I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
> for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
>
> Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
> the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
> still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
> Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
> described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
> item in my menu.
>
> I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
> wastebasket

Mixed metaphor here, dude, an *email* in a *wastebasket*? Bit bucket,
maybe, not not a wastebasket.

Besides, that's irrelevant, they probably routinely toss any
communication from people who appear illiterate or deranged.

Bob Johnson wrote:

>>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>

> Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
> have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
> START menu (as you originally described above),
> so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

IIRC you need to have the Resource CD first and when you put it in your
CD drive you get the option to install the Dell Resource CD. That's how
it worked with my Dim 8400 anyway.

Well, it calls it:

one Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD

That sounds like a real OS CD to me.

We need someone to try it!

Tom
> And where do either page say that the CDs created can be used on a new
> hard drive where the OS is not on a hidden partition?
>
> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19#step1
>>
>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>>> That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is
>>> only good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard
>>> drives before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.
>>>
>>> I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing
>>> HD. Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I
>>> have never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know
>>> if that would work on these machines.
>>>
>>> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message

Good. Some day we won't have to listen to your childish rants and raves!