Question Tomahawk B550 Motherboard no power on startup

thunter78

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
Hello everyone, hope you are doing well today!

I have an older rig that I have played less and less, I have let my children play on it a lot recently. Here's what I had:

Motherboard: Tomahawk B450
CPU: Ryzen 5v 2600
GPU: RX-580P8D
RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4 8 gig (x2)
PS: EVGA 700W

One day last week I sat down to play for the first time in months, I played the game my children usually play - New World. About 15 minutes in, the PC suddenly shut down. I was suspicious as to what could have caused it, when my sons informed me that this happens all the time.. they just restart it!

Upon restarting I checked my temps, they were warm. I started New World and within a few minutes the CPU temps were critical. Right as I was about to shut it down and take a look inside, it shutdown again. This time, the CPU LED on the motherboard came on. I took a look inside and did some troubleshooting. It didn't take long to confirm my CPU fan had died.

I ordered a new CPU, Ryzen 5 3600, and on startup the same CPU light came on. I figured I had burnt up the CPU slot on the motherboard. So, I ordered a new motherboard, B550 this time. After installing the new motherboard, when I start the computer nothing happens. No LED, no beeps, nothing! I had a brand new 650W Power Supply laying around and tried it out as well, same results. From checking online, it appears this setup only requires a 600W Power Supply.

I confirmed I had power, I checked all the seats, I rechecked every power supply connection ten times. I swapped the power on and reset cables from the case, I have tried jumping them directly. I have removed everything on the motherboard but one stick of ram, re-seat the CPU, swapped the motherboard battery, I can't get this thing to do anything. It's possible I just received a dead motherboard, so I have a replacement on the way. In the meantime, can anyone think of something I'm missing?

Hello everyone, hope you are doing well today!

I have an older rig that I have played less and less, I have let my children play on it a lot recently. Here's what I had:

Motherboard: Tomahawk B450
CPU: Ryzen 5v 2600
GPU: RX-580P8D
RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4 8 gig (x2)
PS: EVGA 700W

One day last week I sat down to play for the first time in months, I played the game my children usually play - New World. About 15 minutes in, the PC suddenly shut down. I was suspicious as to what could have caused it, when my sons informed me that this happens all the time.. they just restart it!

Upon restarting I checked my temps, they were warm. I started New World and within a few minutes the CPU temps were critical. Right as I was about to shut it down and take a look inside, it shutdown again. This time, the CPU LED on the motherboard came on. I took a look inside and did some troubleshooting. It didn't take long to confirm my CPU fan had died.

I ordered a new CPU, Ryzen 5 3600, and on startup the same CPU light came on. I figured I had burnt up the CPU slot on the motherboard. So, I ordered a new motherboard, B550 this time. After installing the new motherboard, when I start the computer nothing happens. No LED, no beeps, nothing! I had a brand new 650W Power Supply laying around and tried it out as well, same results. From checking online, it appears this setup only requires a 600W Power Supply.

I confirmed I had power, I checked all the seats, I rechecked every power supply connection ten times. I swapped the power on and reset cables from the case, I have tried jumping them directly. I have removed everything on the motherboard but one stick of ram, re-seat the CPU, swapped the motherboard battery, I can't get this thing to do anything. It's possible I just received a dead motherboard, so I have a replacement on the way. In the meantime, can anyone think of something I'm missing?
It would be helpful to post complete system specs. Include CPU cooler, case fans. And especially the PSU brand and model; just because it's brand new and says 650W doesn't mean it's any good.

But a couple things first: the B450 Tomahawk quite likely doesn't have a BIOS rev. that's compatible with a 3000 series processor since you updated from a 2000 series processor. You could put the 2000 series back in and update BIOS to the latest, then put the 3600 back in being sure to reset CMOS in between each CPU swap. Something else is be sure the CPU cooler fins aren't clogged with dust and hair, if you haven't already.

TRENDING THREADS