[SOLVED] Tomahawk max argb 5v

Anderson_6

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
so I built a pc a few months ago and today I got new fans (Lian Li uni sl120 with controller) but my Motherboard MSI b450 Tomahawk Max doesnt have the ARGB 5V just jrgb 12v and now I cant control my RGB thank god is a normal Rainbow on the fans for default but is there anyway I could conver the 12v to 5v with anything ? and be able to use Lian li L-connect software? if not can someone tell me a good mobo ? ill replace my mobo if i have to

PC specs :
AMD Ryzen 3700x
16gb hyper x predator rgb 3200mhz
EVGA 3080 FTW3
Kraken X73 360mm

Case : lian li dynamic o11

Solution
Wait a minute! I just realized from OP's last post: OP has a 3-pack of Lian Li fans WITH a CONTROLLER that is managed through their L-Connect software tool. OP, you already HAVE the controller you need!!

You mount the Controller module in your case and connect to that the lighting cable from it to the first fan. All the fans connect to each other in a slide-together mechanism to create an electrical daisy chain for both fan motors and lights. You must connect to the Controller a cable for power from a SATA output from the PSU, and a cable to a mobo USB2 header. The L-Connect software tool uses that USB connection to communicate control of both the fan motors and the lights, and you use that tool to set your display preferences and fan...
so I built a pc a few months ago and today I got new fans (Lian Li uni sl120 with controller) but my Motherboard MSI b450 Tomahawk Max doesnt have the ARGB 5V just jrgb 12v and now I cant control my RGB thank god is a normal Rainbow on the fans for default but is there anyway I could conver the 12v to 5v with anything ? and be able to use Lian li L-connect software? if not can someone tell me a good mobo ? ill replace my mobo if i have to

PC specs :
AMD Ryzen 3700x
16gb hyper x predator rgb 3200mhz
EVGA 3080 FTW3
Kraken X73 360mm

Case : lian li dynamic o11
https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-RGB-Convertor-Motherboard-Non-Compatible/dp/B07T5CSZ52
or search for "converter 5v argb header to 12v rgb". There is no simple adapter.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are a few ARGB Controllers and converters like CountMike has linked to above, and they CAN convert from the 12 VDC 4-pin plain RGB signal system to proper signals and power for a ARGB system. HOWEVER, there is a big limit that is important to you. As you are aware, a plain RGB system cannot generate many of the fancy multi-colour displays you can get from ARGB - things like a static rainbow, or even a rainbow chasing itself down the light strip. Hence the mobo 4-pin plain RGB header and its Controller does NOT know how to send out signals that its intended lighting device cannot generate, anyway. So when you use a signal translator box, the ARGB lights can be fed the proper signals to generate all the displays a PLAIN RGB system could do, but it will never get signals to generate the fancier things that ARGB lights can do when fed by an ARGB Controller. You need an actual ARGB controller for that type of signal.

I have been told of such a device from a third-party accessory maker that you can buy without changing your mobo. However, I am not yet sure the stories I heard are true. I will try to contact that maker and get the facts. I can let you know here what I find out.

Reactions: CountMike

Anderson_6

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
There are a few ARGB Controllers and converters like CountMike has linked to above, and they CAN convert from the 12 VDC 4-pin plain RGB signal system to proper signals and power for a ARGB system. HOWEVER, there is a big limit that is important to you. As you are aware, a plain RGB system cannot generate many of the fancy multi-colour displays you can get from ARGB - things like a static rainbow, or even a rainbow chasing itself down the light strip. Hence the mobo 4-pin plain RGB header and its Controller does NOT know how to send out signals that its intended lighting device cannot generate, anyway. So when you use a signal translator box, the ARGB lights can be fed the proper signals to generate all the displays a PLAIN RGB system could do, but it will never get signals to generate the fancier things that ARGB lights can do when fed by an ARGB Controller. You need an actual ARGB controller for that type of signal.

I have been told of such a device from a third-party accessory maker that you can buy without changing your mobo. However, I am not yet sure the stories I heard are true. I will try to contact that maker and get the facts. I can let you know here what I find out.
I found this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082KJH2T3/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2A4XZZKQVDB4S
I have the Lian Li Controller already i just need to plug in the 3pin 5v connector and I want to buy the product above to plug that in and then plug it in the motherboard but would i be able to use the L-connect software with it ? or you dont know

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wait a minute! I just realized from OP's last post: OP has a 3-pack of Lian Li fans WITH a CONTROLLER that is managed through their L-Connect software tool. OP, you already HAVE the controller you need!!

You mount the Controller module in your case and connect to that the lighting cable from it to the first fan. All the fans connect to each other in a slide-together mechanism to create an electrical daisy chain for both fan motors and lights. You must connect to the Controller a cable for power from a SATA output from the PSU, and a cable to a mobo USB2 header. The L-Connect software tool uses that USB connection to communicate control of both the fan motors and the lights, and you use that tool to set your display preferences and fan speeds. There is no NEED to connect to a mobo ARGB header you don't have, and certainly no need to adapt a plain RGB header output for connection to the Controller box. That box does everything you need.

Although it is not too clear on the Lian Li product page, it appears that Controller also includes a cable to connect from it (on some port?) to a mobo SYS_FAN header that is operating in PWM Mode. Within L-Connect I assume you have the option to allow the mobo's automatic fan cpeed control to take over control of these fans' speeds, as opposed to using manual speed control by L-Connect.

Solution