Tom's CPU Hierarchy Chart

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm always taken aback a bit when I see the Ryzen 3 1300 in the same top tier as the i7-8700K in the CPU Hierarchy chart. The 1300 (a great low priced processor, btw) is just about topped out with a GTX 1060. Am I missing something?

Also:
1) I've seen the i7-8700K get up to roughly 2X the performance of the R3-1300 in games (review benchmarks), and

2) a GTX1060 arguably doesn't "top out" (be bottlenecked by) an R3-1300... games vary a LOT in how they use CPU's... for example, some games like DOOM (with Vulkan API) do an excellent job of using more cores than other games so may have minimal bottleneck by the CPU.. GTA5 though would have more CPU bottleneck as single-core performance matters more

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks for the reply...
I was basing the fact that the GTX 1060 is about all the R3 1300 can keep from bottlenecking on 1) my own limited testing with R3-1300 and 1300X builds I've done @ 3.9GHz, and by 2) this review I've that seems to confirm my own limited testing.

But yes, there are a few games that the R3 1300 can probably use more card in w/o bottleneck. Depending on resolution and such. But for the most part, the 1060 is about it, I think.
I'm just surprised that the top tier is so all-inclusive.