Tom's Definitive Linux Software Roundup: Internet Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]my web machine runs on linux and i find the experience to be quite satisfying but i still game on windows.[/citation]
I run Linux on my old notebook and the experience is more than just satisfying. In fact most of the office work I do on that notebook is now done in linux an Win are used only to play. If linux only got some more games...

charlesxuma

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
allow me to say this in a simple minded manner ...

for the dumb there is OS X
for the weak there is windows
for the rest there is LINUX

If u find my statement offensive, then DO something about it dont just sit there winning about it. (LEARN) Remember we were all DUMB ONCE.

p.s : GAMERS NOT INCLUDED :)

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
[citation][nom]CharlesXuma[/nom]allow me to say this in a simple minded manner ... for the dumb there is OS Xfor the weak there is windows for the rest there is LINUXIf u find my statement offensive, then DO something about it dont just sit there winning about it. (LEARN) Remember we were all DUMB ONCE.p.s : GAMERS NOT INCLUDED[/citation]

ding fries are done....

G

For FTP you can also simply use nautilus, the file manager. Just click file->connect to server (or in the menu bar places->connect to server)

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
CharlesXuma:
You truly covered all of you bases in that post.

I was hoping that with the recession, perhaps companies who were really trying to make more efficient use of their capital would start to look at Linux as a tempting prospect.
I wounder if there are any intriguing statistics about this.

I'm a Linux user. I'm not a big gamer.

Still, that Nexuiz thingie gives my RadeonHD 4850 a workout. Chromium B.S.U. might be old but it's nice looking and addictive. And TORCS is not for the faint of heart. And...

Well, if you go and dig into the results of 'linux games' in Google, you can find nice stuff.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
In order to test drive the feature sets of these applications, and to determine 64-bit friendliness, I used a native (non-VM) and fully-updated installation of 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04. When an application was not available for the 64-bit architecture, I used the 32-bit VM installation of Ubuntu. If that failed I would use Kubuntu, then Fedora, and then openSUSE

Fail!

You had to use ~5 different versions of Linux to install your apps?

charlesxuma

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
u actually can run most of your games through wine, however if ur a hardcore gamer that installs and plays many (as in 20+) new games, wine still needs development for these kinds of users, your better off having windows os on the side, for that task in particular.

There is an exception, but it will cost you a monthly fee, that hooks wine on to a software that updates installation and compatibility on a regular basis.(for the ones who can't configure wine themselves.)

crash27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
The mouse lag drives me nuts.
got a gmae server up but it took so long I reinstalled windows and hit the install button. Server was up in less than 2 minutes.

Linux is great if you have hours and hours to get it all working......
oh and if you don't mind waiting to se where you moved your mouse all the time.
No wait move it back just a little.....

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cybrcatter[/nom]CharlesXuma:You truly covered all of you bases in that post.I was hoping that with the recession, perhaps companies who were really trying to make more efficient use of their capital would start to look at Linux as a tempting prospect.I wounder if there are any intriguing statistics about this.[/citation]

I'm afraid that for the most companies "efficient use of their capital" means outsourcing (and "downsizing" the number of workers).
As for companies SWITCHING from Windows to Linux there are many obstacles, like in the process of doing so the working process in the company would be affected or even partially halted; employees often don't like to change the software they are used to work with (although working with most software packets in Linux is not so much different than in Windows - especially office applications); possible hardware compatibility problems; but most of all the biggest problem is Windows licensing: you can hardly buy a computer without Windows already installed - if you switch to Linux you "throw away" the money paid for the license.

The interesting statistics would be how many of NEW FOUNDED companies are using Linux as they don't all the problems mentioned above and are also strapped of cash.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cybrcatter[/nom]CharlesXuma:You truly covered all of you bases in that post.I was hoping that with the recession, perhaps companies who were really trying to make more efficient use of their capital would start to look at Linux as a tempting prospect.I wounder if there are any intriguing statistics about this.[/citation]

I'm afraid that for the most companies "efficient use of their capital" means outsourcing (and "downsizing" the number of workers).
As for companies SWITCHING from Windows to Linux there are many obstacles, like in the process of doing so the working process in the company would be affected or even partially halted; employees often don't like to change the software they are used to work with (although working with most software packets in Linux is not so much different than in Windows - especially office applications); possible hardware compatibility problems; but most of all the biggest problem is Windows licensing: you can hardly buy a computer without Windows already installed - if you switch to Linux you "throw away" the money paid for the license.

The interesting statistics would be how many of NEW FOUNDED companies are using Linux as they don't have all the problems mentioned above and are also strapped of cash.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
No doubt Linux is more stable and reliable than Windows, however where it falls behind is graphics user interface and usability. A simplified and cut down version of Linux should be made for the mass market, with a smooth user-friendly GUI that can match Windows.

Even then it would be still unlikely Linux can threat windows, because the dollar rules, major software companies are here to make money.

G

Linux developers need to learn how to design a efficient user interface. The fact that a commercial Unix (OS X) has the most usable interface between the hundreds of linux/unix distros is a testament of their flawed philosophy of "open software is always better"

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ibnsina[/nom]No doubt Linux is more stable and reliable than Windows, however where it falls behind is graphics user interface and usability. A simplified and cut down version of Linux should be made for the mass market, with a smooth user-friendly GUI that can match Windows. Even then it would be still unlikely Linux can threat windows, because the dollar rules, major software companies are here to make money.[/citation]
There already is an cut down version of Linux with a smooth user friendly GUI - it is called OS X (the mass market aspect is questionable though) :).

As pretty much everything with Linux the graphical interfaces come in various shapes and sizes (so to say). In Windows you are pretty much locked in AERO GUI but there are several different GUI's.
Most popular are GNOME and KDE - and at least they don't lack in usability compared to Windows.

sanctoon

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ibnsina[/nom]No doubt Linux is more stable and reliable than Windows, however where it falls behind is graphics user interface and usability. A simplified and cut down version of Linux should be made for the mass market, with a smooth user-friendly GUI that can match Windows. Even then it would be still unlikely Linux can threat windows, because the dollar rules, major software companies are here to make money.[/citation]

My Jaunty GUI is much more efficient than any windows one. Thats the beauty of it all, the customizability. If you ever think, oh it would be nice if my GUI could do that or look like this, chances are, with a bit of google you could do it.

G

Thanks for the list toms!
If this where an article that covered all programs it wouldn't be up by 100%, but 100x.
There are nearly 1000 free apps for Linux, and a couple of hundred payed or semi payed apps.

It also greatly differs from which version of Linux. Most apps talked about here work in a gnome/denian based Linux. There's also Slaxx, or redhat based linux.
Programs that work in Ubuntu may not always work in Mandriva, or DSL.

But it's a good list of options in case I would want to switch to a Buntu style Linux.

G

pepe_2: I assume you're completely ignorant to Linux, Linux is very, very useable, but the UI isn't dumbed down to MacOSX levels, and I wouldn't want it to be. I take it you're a Mac user, is that 2-button mouse a bit too complicated for you?

PS: Nice article, I appreciate the attempts to spread awareness. I use Linux as my main OS, and I would never go back to Windows now, most people don't switch just because they don't realize that Linux can do everything they need it to. Kubuntu9.10 is just amazing, I tried the alpha live CD, with the new video driver, it runs fast even on my crappy 5 y/o Intel IGP.

freeman70

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
You should add utorrent running as a wine app. It works well in ubuntu.

Also, there are a lot of windows apps that run quite well under wine so many users needn't think that their one favorite window app will be lost forever. Other apps you should consider are Sun's VirtualBox for running virtual machines. I have to tip my hat to them. It works really well and is relatively easy to set up. I run an XP virtual machine and it is quite useful for running old games and certain windows apps that don't run well with wine. I usually only boot my original XP install to play the latest games.

Lastly, use ubuntu with compiz and some effects enabled for a day and then come and post about the usability and effectiveness of its UI.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]shuffman37[/nom]Wheres Google Chrome? The dev build has been on the google site for download for almost the whole summer. http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/ [...] e_i386_debRuns pretty good with very few bugs. Oh and flash does work if you enable plugins.[/citation]
It's mentioned at the bottom of page 4 "Web Browsers: The Rest", with the reasoning why it's not given full treatment... yet

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
This is the best article I have read on tomshardware in a long time. Though I have used linux for 14 years, I learned about a bunch of programs I was unfamiliar with.

Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.