Tom's Hardware Bias??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerJ98M

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Just found this article on Reddit where someone is having a rant about this site, just thought it was worth mentioning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/64ixhu/toms_hardware_is_complete_intel_fanboy/

YourLocal

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Everyone has their own individual opinions. We can't let one discussion on reddit submitted by one guy represent Tom's Hardware as a whole. That's just his opinion or take on it.

Nothing new. I've been a member of Tom's for nearly 20 years (forced to make another account back in 2008). There is always a fanboy triggered somewhere in a review. In this case, it's an AMD fan upset that Tom's didn't give a 100% positive review of Ryzen. You'll see the same reaction from an Intel fan when Tom's doesn't give a 100% glowing review of their latest CPU (which there has been a lot of lately as Intel has broken no new molds in recent generations).

And if you REALLY want to be entertained by fanboyism triggering, read the video card reviews and comments between AMD and Nvidia. I remember when all the AMD fanboys were bragging that the Fury X would just destroy the GTX 980Ti. Then when the reviews started coming out showing a very underwhelming card based on the hype surrounding it, they had meltdowns crying about Nvidia bias. You'll see the same on Anandtech, Guru3D, and other hardware review sites as well. Nothing new. Just like a classic Ford vs. Chevy debate on Car & driver or Motor Trend, lol.

With that said, this dude's comment had me rolling in laughter:

"Today we're going to compare this Tesla Model S against a Bugatti Veyron for our speed test and then against a UPS truck for our shopping storage test. Welcome to another episode of totally fair and unbiased reviews, please check out our sponsor for this episode, Audible.com."

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
(geezer voice) . . . "back in my day..."

I have recollections of the Riva128 website/forum having a few extremely annoying 3DFx fanboys. One in particular who liked to post as his ultimate response to anyting about Nvidia in the forums (yes, with all caps) "GIGAPIXEL BAYBEE HAHAHAHAHA!!"

He wasn't the only one, but he was the all-caps guy of the board, convinced that 3DFx was going to absolutely crush Nvidia.

(back to old geezer voice) . . . "a'course, this was back a'fore the turn o' the century, mind you..."

^^Hahahaha! I'm one of those who had Voodoo 2 in SLI but eventually moved to Nvidia. The Dell Pentium II 333MHz desktop PC I ordered in 1998 came with a Riva 128 upgrade but I was experimenting with a Celeron 333->450MHz overclock build as well with those Voodoo 2s. Moving up from a 1024x768 resolution 15" CRT monitor to a Sony 19" 1600x1200 Trinitron monitor for Quake II was like going from 1080p to 4K in my mind at the time, heh. For some reason I just don't get the same enjoyment anymore when upgrading PC hardware.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oh, so you're an old codger like me! :D Oh, I remember when I went from 1024x768 to 1280x1024, whoo boy was that impressive!

Well, back then, I imagine we had more spare time. Plus, the hardware was, looking back, so weak back then that any improvement was a big deal. Today, if we, say, overclock a 3.5GHz processor to 3.8, that's probably something like boosting a 150MHz Pentium to 166MHz.

Though, I admit, recently, I've been getting a kick out of getting old PCs and tinkering with them a little. But, eh, real life seems to interfere with my spare time too much these days. Dag nab it!

I do have to say on those rare occasions when I do get to stick in a new video card, or more memory, I still kinda get a bit of excitement out of it. The magic's not all gone yet!

Replying to this on a 1024x768 monitor right now.

What a nice day outside.

People on Reddit don't like Tomshardware.

Guess the sunshine is ruined. /s

Plus if you read the thread barely anyone is saying anything against Toms, just the OP, everyone else is dissing him (is dissing still a term?).

They do.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I tell myself that I'm not, either. The grays sneaking in tell me otherwise.

But, for those of us in the know, your avatar image from Hell Bent For Leather kind of gives you away! LOL

(and, yes, that's just one piece of the overwhelming pile of evidence for being able to legitimately say "The music in my day was WAY better than today!")

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Then I commend you for your excellent taste in music!

My first grays showed up when I was 19. Eventually, they invited friends. I'm glad I didn't go completely white, as all my aunts/uncles on my mom's side were dying their hair before 30. One uncle by 23, if I recall correctly.

I think grey/white hair can look good honestly. If it's well-distributed color I think it can look good. I see some girls with white hair, albeit it's definitely dyed, I think it looks nice still.

Status
Not open for further replies.