Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 109 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

I'm not seeing a GPU in those specs? I'm digging those copper heat pipes--tell me what it is!

vanquished

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
@lutfij - Definitely will post here when it comes time.

@Ickyness - It reminds me of a transformer for some reason :D Pretty sweet though.

Ickyness

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
@ vanquished - Lol, that's fine, too! I should add some blue for an undeniable Optimus Prime feel! Actually, I'm fairly certain its owner wouldn't let me change a thing, lol.

Ickyness

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
@ nstiver - we removed the paint all the way down to the metal with paint thinner and sandpaper. Sanding is a pain in the butt, for the record. But, that's what made it so shiny. After we sanded the metal, even the primer looked glossy!

After that, we just used glossy red paint on top of the primer; 4 coats of it to get it nice and deep. Then I used some carnauba wax and turtle wax to buff it and get it even smoother.

Lutfij

Titan
@ ntsiver - The GPU is in specs ;) XFX ATi 5770, revised cooler edition. * try not to double post - makes the thread unnecessarily lengthy :)

@ vanquished+ickyness - starscream from the transformers anime :)

@ ickyness - mind sharing a build log for that case paint job?

Ickyness

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
@ lutfij - Sure thing dude. I'll post some pics (we took a ton) of the process in a few minutes (after I'm done making dinner).

Additionally I'm starting a "blog" page for my endevours on Facebook. Gonna be publishing that page soon, and when I do I'll throw a link to that as well for even more details.

Lutfij

Titan
tonne of pics - you can have a gallery and link it to your threads/posts :) just focus on the ones that make your case/rig stand out however - mystery is always appreciated :p

looking forward to the links! [:lutfij:3]

Lutfij

Titan
@ ickyness - thats real nice but bro, pop over tot he first page of this thread - read the rules...:) edit your post so that you can include a few pics of the build(as it was taking shape) and post a link for this build log of yours.

*might also want to add the gallery link.
**max picture postage for this thread I believe is 4 but by default its 10, thas why some of your images are appearing only as links.
***edit soon - otherwise the hammer will come down with a cacophony from your screen :p

just to brush up.
Create new thread and title it to your build log. Link here. Link gallery as well.

[:lutfij:3]

Lutfij

Titan
I wasn't very sure what you meant by creating and linking a gallery.
well you've done the 1st part - by making an acc on an image hosting site and having it in an album.

2nd part is posting that link of the gallery/album at the end of your build log...and/or here maybe :)

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Finished my first build the other day, it was a fairly budget build but I figured for my first I shouldn't go to crazy lest I royally break something expensive. I'll post pics sometime in the next week of it since right now my cable management is dismal at best but for now I'll just go over specs and future plans.

CPU - FX-4100 3.6Ghz (No OC'ing yet, more on that in a minute)
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-970A D3
PSU - Corsair GS700 (Cable length issues on this one)
RAM - 8 GB of..something (Got em from a friend I work with, only 1333 but works well enough)
Case - Corsair 300R
Graphics - HD 6670 (Moderate gaming on a 1366 x 768 32" TV, works great so far)

Like I said it's fairly budget but it put together nicely, I really like the Corsair case for the simplicity of the look as well as the tool-less drive bays. As for the gaming performance since I'm on a much lower resolution I'm getting very respectable fps on medium to even high settings in games like Battlefield 3 and Just Cause 2. Yes I will upgrade to an actual monitor but only after I upgrade the card.

Will be picking up some extensions for cables this weekend so maybe pics by midweek next week.

Also I'm in the planning stages of figuring out how to squeeze an H100 in the 300R case for some OC'ing, I've seen it done at the top with some slimline fans but I think the method I'm gonna go with is to take out the HDD bay area and mount the radiator vertically there. Any opinions on that? Also feel free to PM me any pointers since I don't want to clog the thread with discussion, I will definitely be looking for some opinions when I do get pics up so more then I suppose.

you wont need a h100 to overclock a 4100. a good quality air cooler can do the trick unless youre trying to get into some 5g and over club.

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I'd like to get into the 5g club eventually but yeah for now the 212 evo will work just fine. Going from first build directly to a 5+ ghz OC seems like an unwise move for a novice to make.

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I just want you all to brace yourselves because this cable "management" has a chance at being the worst ever seen. This is what happens when you don't give thought to cabling before you start plugging things in with reckless abandon.

On the plus side I upgraded to the 660 Ti and have a fairly descent overclock. So...there's that!

Actually scratch the word management. Cable chaos. Fits the bill much better.

Lutfij

Titan
:)

1| I've seen worse but don't slack off on the next pointers we'll throw at you. ** have you read my PM - I did offer some CM pointers**
2| google+case+cablemnagement will yield some results for you to understand how to manage cables in your case
3| you have CM grommets on the mobo tray. Take a few hours off your daily grind and sit your case, w/ both side panels off so you can get a feel for each wiring + loop
4| have that GS face down - I know it has a vent on the bottom for PSU to draw outside air into its unit.

we can keep going but this post will keep getting longer :) but you try a few of my points and we can see how you've done. Modo has seen much much worse than I have - with dust bunnies and maybe some generations of dust bunnies :lol:

btw, there's a club for your carbide series of cases
http://www.overclock.net/t/1119694/official-corsair-carbide-series-300r-400r-500r-owners-club/

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

Fitting all the cables behind the motherboard tray will be hard but doable in the 300r. It is a great case for its price.

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Well I have Monday off so I'll do a tear down then, definitely flipping the power supply over, that little extra room should give my 8 pin enough room to be able to go behind the tray, either that or some extensions. Beyond that I'll most likely be picking up the 212 evo in a few days so by the end of the week (if all goes well) I should have myself a tidy case to be proud of).

As a side note I'm also building my friends PC so I'll post some shots of that next week when the parts get here.

UPDATE: Did a complete tear down last night, took out the cold cathodes until I get time to paint or otherwise cover up the ugly white wire and blue adapter. Why they chose those colors for their product is beyond me..any who I'll be posting up pics of the updated rig after work tonight.

thejamiel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
First build.. and first mod.

This is how it used to look..
old1_zps1e61d102.jpg

old2_zps62db885d.jpg

This is how it looks now..
new1_zps8f8ebb21.jpg

new2_zps1b717449.jpg

still needs some work.. i have white cable sleeving and more cutting to do.

im also replacing the blue LED fans with white LED fans to match to rope on the inside.

Specs:
GIGABYTE GA 970A D3
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
CM Hyper 212 EVO
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB
XFX Radeon HD 6850 BE
Antec EarthWatts GREEN 650W
WD Black 750GB
Antec 300 Illusion

Lutfij

Titan
NICE work there with the painted and cut up mobo tray :) could use some more work by:
1|aligning the cutout to go around the sata ports

2|Introduce some MNPC tech case feets or of your choosing.

3| raise case a few mm's off the ground

4| vent holes at the bottom so PSU is facing down. easier on cable routing.

Blue+white theme! I like! You get an award for being perceptive [:lutfij:3]:D

oh yeah, that wireless receiver, you get it with your controller or was it bought separately? MS isn't bundling that with controllers anymore.

* specs in your post'll be helpful. Sigs change, posts rarely do, unless you edit your older post for newer pics :p