Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Nice cat. Did he/she help with the build. Keeps it stable sitting on top? A kitty burglar alarm?

RussK1

Splendid
Can you tell I use the poo-poo out of this machine? lol

Antec 902 v3
Win. 7 sp 1
Asrock P67 extreme 6
I7 2600k @ 4.5 GHZ 1.31v
16gb 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance
Active cooling fans for memory (used to run Ballistix)
2 XXX 6950\\\'s CF
Corsair HX1050\\
Corsair H50 w/Antecs Formula 7 TIM
Hdd\\\'s are Barricudas both have a 7200rpm spindle speed... 1tb and 500gb for media
1 120gb Intel 510 series SSD
2 optical drives- Blu-ray R/W and Dual-layer R/W

DSCN2198.jpg

DSCN2193.jpg

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Wow; that's a lot of dust! I do not know how fast dust filters would get choked if you had them installed.

RussK1

Splendid
Wow; that's a lot of dust! I do not know how fast dust filters would get choked if you had them installed.

Merely aesthetics my friend; I regularly clean the filters (once a week or so) and give it spraying I just personally find it impractical to scrub the inside of my case. Stability and functionality are more important to me than winning a beauty contest. I could have cherry picked my best pictures but this picture shows I actually use the machine 24/7. Although I will be switching cases soon, she'll get her cleaning.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Props on the weekly cleaning and I agree with you that it is impractical to scrub the inside as often. I personally clean the inside of my main rig during upgrades or once a year, whichever comes first. The filters are done every 4 to 6 weeks ever since I moved it to the desk.
Today at work, I checked one system that had a dust carpet blocking the front of the CPU heatsink. Schools should really have PCs with easy to maintain filters.

drtorky

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hi I am new @ TOM's hardware forum.

CPU:Intel core I7 2600k OC 4.5 GHz
Ram:8GB Corsair DDR3
Mainboard:Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
HD OS:Intel X25-m SSD triple raid 0
HD data:2x Velociraptor 600
Graphics:ATI 6970 CfX
Sound:Asus xonar essence stx soundcard
Case:Cosmos S

rig.jpg

rig1.jpg

rig2.jpg

rig3.jpg

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Looks like a UV-reactive liquid-cooling system, correct? Are your 6970's a reference model? I am just wondering if you plan to add them to the cooling system.

RussK1

Splendid

Lol, you should have seen my dads when I took it apart; he had a dead fly stuck in the gpu fan. I could have made a plush toy from all the dust bunnies.

RussK1

Splendid

haha, that made me laugh... really a fly? haha I don't let mine get that bad lol. I just don't see the importance of a spot free car wash if my temps aren't affected if you know what I mean. Now my moms comp was a different story. I had to get out the shop vac for that one! What tipped me off was I could smell the heat (dust burning) and took a look.

Where I live is pretty bad with dust esp. with the carpet and the fact my apt. building is smoking hot and I'm forced to open all of the windows.

Do you like the flat cables? I have them for the drives and they are actually hard to work with...

I don't like them much but they were free. I'd much rather have something different but am lazy and cheap lol

RussK1

Splendid

I'm with ya then... They just don't bend well.

You are correct. I bought some rustoleum high heat flat black and went to town. There is a tiny bit of dripping but really nothing to complain about.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I just did a build with a HAF 912 and mine is unpainted on the inside. Great case. I love it. It's very well designed. Looks great, easy to use, good cable management layout.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Flat cables suck. I really don't like them, they seem to take up more room than regular cables.

Getting my side panel on is a nightmare because of all the kinks in the flat cables were they bend.

Anyway... thats my rant about flat cables over and done with haha

MY 1337 gaming rig -

Q6600 - 1.45v - 3.6ghz - 1600FSB x9 - lapped
Corsair H50 with Rosewill fans in push/pull - lapped - Prime95, small ffts, 30mins - 66c
G.Skill RAM - 8GB - DDR2 - 1066 5-5-5-15, 2T
Asus P5N-D - 1.6v NB
EVGA GTX 570 - 1.05v - 850mhz core - 2100mhz mem - peak temp 86c (Skyrim - 1080p ultra maxed, 35ish fps)
OCZ Agility 3 - 120GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB (another waiting to go in later...)
Thermaltake TR2 RX-850
Thermaltake V9 Black Edition

It looks dusty!

25an0ja.jpg

Lights on!

sm4vth.jpg

I was kidding about 1337 part. Well, it does ok. In a couple days it will all be tucked into the Fractal Design Arc Midi, so no need for suggestions just yet. Wait for the update in the fractal case. I've wanted this case for a long time and now newegg finally carries it. I have a ton of other plans for it as well but wanted to get this out in the wild now before it transforms from the ugly duckling that it is today. I did well with this case considering there is no cable management whatsoever. The flat IDE ribbon cable lays flat in the back and covers up a lot of cables, but for the most part, there is nowhere to hide them, so I slapped on a few zip ties to at least show I acknowledged their presence. Sometime after Christmas, I want to upgrade this system to a low-budget, low-power system, using the i3 or something else. I don't know yet. Pretty soon it'll be retired to only web-browsing and media consumption and playback on the Samsung 46" tv. There's another build that's a true gaming / media creation system but it's not done yet.

A few benchmarks, first the one malmental called for from someone else on page 15 (for me)...

119vt6o.jpg

Here it says Tesselation is normal, but its actually disabled during this run.

vdmiic.jpg