Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 176 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah i do appreciate the advice, but i'm pretty happy with the stability. RAM is currently at 3600 MHz just using the XMP Profile, to be honest i'm quite sure that's overkill my usage but it was pricing against the competition that made me get it (The Viper RGB 3600 MHz kit was $6 more than the Corsair Vengeance RGB and G-Skill Trident Z RGB kits both at 3200 MHz, seemed worth it to me not to mention the best looking, imo).

Sure is @Techy. I don't even have Photoshop nor know how to use it :pt1cable:

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah me too, good to see AMD & Intel finally back at it again and upgrades have been tempting at times, but for my uses the 6700K has been excellent from the day i got it and still is now. I'll probably hold off until 2020 or so once we can see what 7nm Zen 2 & 10nm [strike]Whatever [/strike]Lake has to offer.

Completed build...finally. Yes went a bit overboard on the RGB but....Systems spec in my sig with a 8700K, MSI Gaming GTX 1080, ADATA SX8200 NVMe and a Corsair H150i Pro AIO...

JlPE3Eh.jpg

moJWkS2.jpg

wwawdWb.jpg

Thanks darkbreeze...Had a lot of fun building it. The case was where I made a slight error as I had originally bought the H500P without the mesh front but thankfully they started selling the mesh front separably and it was quiet cheap. Overall the mesh front has made a big difference on temps. I then bought some mesh and cut it to size and removed the top plastic panel replacing that with the mesh...Not perfect but allows the H150i Pro AIO to exhaust properly.

One final thing to do but I am a bit scared!!! and that is to delid the 8700K...not really required but something inside me wants to take the plunge just to see the temps drop even more and maybe then I can have 5GHz as my daily driver...right now it is at 4.9GHz but going for 5GHz just drives the temps to high...

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

Mastercase H500P + 360mm Rad... I like your taste! :D

Thanks..its a must to fill the top with a 360 AIO or full watercooling loop... perfect match for great cooling.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Mastercase H500P + 360mm Rad... I like your taste! :D
Thanks..its a must to fill the top with a 360 AIO or full watercooling loop... perfect match for great cooling.

I totally agree, it's a fairly costly aesthetic preference but having a 360mm rad across the top of the H500P looks awesome! I've got 6 RGB fans on it as well (3 on top of the rad, 3 underneath) and i was debating between the Corsair H150i and TT Floe Riing but ended up grabbing the latter because it included RGB fans + controller (it was $25 cheaper too). :vip:

Good job, that must look absolutely crazy awesome!!! I did the same with a set of Enermax TB fans but one of the was making a noise, so I removed them. I have ordered a set of Deepcool RF fans to stick in the top for push pull...It is amazing that there is just enough room at the very top for another set of fans.

God, is this so addictive...

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

It sure does haha.. All mine on the inside and under the rad are CM Masterfans (since the case came with 2x 200mm on the front) so i just added a 140mm to rear and 3x 120mm under the rad connected to a CM RGB controller although i'm a little annoyed the case didn't include one. Then of course got the other 3x 120mm fans on top of rad which are the included TT Riings which are completely different RGB profiles but looks perfectly fine imo since they're separated. If you scroll back a few posts i posted my build not too long ago, no point spamming more pictures here.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well there is several different RGB hookups, and more than a few are proprietary to certain fans. So chances are decent that any included RGB controller would be a waste of the manufacturers money as the end user would just junk it or not use it. I think it's better that it's not included, something I don't have to pay extra for if I'm not going to use it anyways.

Yep agree, there really should be a standardised RGB control that all manufactures should provide at the very least. I currently have my Motherboard RGB controlling the Deepcool RF fans 3 x 120mm and 1 x140mm and thankfully it also controls the 2 x 200mm Fans and the 2 light bars from Coolermaster, but the Corsair H150i Pro and my Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM run of the iCue software which doesn't play with the Motherboard!!!

Have to admit the Deepcool RF RGB fans have worked out very well, great price for the 3 pack, connect to the motherboard and very good airflow with a great light spill across the fans. I have a 8 port XSPC RGB hub which it is all hooked up to...works perfectly....Having written it down it does look like I have gone RGB MAD....

Yes please just use the standard connector used for led strips.

Clearly this does not work if someone wants a rainbow of different colors on the same strip, but for solid color case lighting. it is the way to go for sure.

And i say this as someone who generally does not use RGB.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
If Karadjgne and Darkbreeze are still lurking here... If my temps raised some eye brows before.... I've returned to knock some socks off! :pt1cable:

A fried of mine picked up a Der8auer delidding kit for his 8700K (fair enough) because it was giving even his NH-D15 a lot of trouble with a good overclock. So i decided to do it myself for the lols.... Check this... :D

*Before i finished cleaning it & applied liquid metal*
BEX2OEs.jpg

*Idle temps on desktop with just Discord, Steam and Wallpaper Engine running - Also before overclock*
6rdG0Sa.png

*Load temps in full run of Cinebench Multi-threaded test*
bvDVDw9.png

*Load temps in Prime95 SmallFFTs, ran it for 15min for now it's getting late and i think it's evident enough, it's chilly*
AfBOHb7.png

To clarify; This is a 6700K running at 4.6 GHz @ 1.375v. Delidded with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal, Arctic Silver MX-5 Thermal Paste on a TT Floe Riing 360mm Premium Edition AIO (with 3 fans on top and 3 fans on the bottom, all push). I think i'm done with cooling now i promise.. :lol:

Thats neat but isn't there a risk with a liquid metal based TIM directly on the die?

Honestly, I don't know what material is used on the top of the die. But if there is aluminum or copper content there, it could be a problem. Copper isn't AS bad as aluminum, by a long shot, but it still causes some corrosion and creates an alloy layer, as well as makes the metal brittle. I seriously doubt there is nickel plating on the top of the die, which is what you'd want there to be when using any Gallium based TIM and most liquid metals are Gallium based.

I know a lot of people use Conductonaught for delidding, and don't seem to have issues even when taken back apart later to repaste, so it must be something that doesn't have a very high dissimilar metal content.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There is a coating on top of the silicon, but what it is made of is escaping my brain a bit. Derbauer had a video explaining his own attempts at soldering CPU dies and he went through what everything consisted of. Or there was another video where he lapped a CPU die, it was in one of them.

Ideally the heatspreader should have gold on it to prevent corrosion, but given the time scales people like us tend to keep hardware I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah, I don't know about that. I still have functional systems from 15 years ago. LOL. I know a lot of other members have kept their older systems for various duties such as media servers or HTPCs. Also for testing various things. I don't think anything that causes something to be damaged, if it does, is a very good idea unless you don't care at all due to very deep pockets.

For a lot of our members that try to use a given system as long as humanly possible, it might be even more so.