Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thejamiel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011

Thank you! yeah definitely wanted to put feet on and flip the PSU. also was thinking about making smaller holes on the bottom to see if light will shine through to give it a nice effect below the case.

i was also gonna cut holes in the back of the drive bays and feed the sata through there and the graphics cable hole.

when i do all that, I'm switching the fans and sleeving the cables in white.
Any advice or tips on how to sleeve cables easily?

that wireless receiver came with my controller. i got it around 2011 christmas time.

thejamiel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I will definitely learn more and view more forums and tutorials as much as i can before starting..

i already have the mod/smart sleeving. first timer so i figured the less expensive would do for now.

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Completely re ran all my cables and the result is far, far cleaner than before. I removed the cold cathode lights till I can hide the white wires and blue box better. Might just paint them or get some LEDs from Bitfenix.

So here is the before:

And here is the after:

Pretty big difference. Really thinking about investing in a full tower in the coming months just to give it more room to breath. Also I eventually want to get into liquid cooling but that won't be for awhile. Right now I need to get my 212 and do a little more tidying up on the inside here and I can call my first build done.

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

What case is that?

Lutfij

Titan
@ nstiver- corsair Carbide 300R

@ revernd_mason - massive case to work with cables and watercooling - don't loose hope(as you're gunning for a full tower now) you can do wonders in it! BTW, massive change. More room for development...I'll PM you more info on your case CM'ing. Headsup!

pop over the watercooling section and we'll show you the ropes :) but don't expect us to help you walk with the rope in hand :D

@ thajamiel - not bad, Lustro shows you how to sleeve with almost every brand of sleeves.

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
The 300R is a nice case for (depending on what sale you find) $70 to $80. Though I really want to go all out and maybe get an AZZA Genesis 9000...I'd LIKE and 800D Corsair buuuut it's expensive. Best Buy salaries don't pay a lot when you're on the sales floor :)

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Oh don't get me wrong I know, I'm sticking with this case for awhile. I'm just planning a rough sketch for version 2 of my build somewhere down the road. Bigger psu, a mobo that's SLi compliant, and a full tower are my big 3 things...also possibly a switch to Intel. It really depends on if the Vishera architecture improves enough to keep me interested. For now though I like having the odd Nvidia/AMD combo.

Some nice improvements there guys, thanks to Lutfij for keeping em in line for me hehe
I've been busy lately mate but should be back to normal C.M. harrassment duties now,
+1 Rev, I'm considering Ordering Vish and chips myself, might just stick with my 975 for a while though
Moto

I got fed up with my boring old Antec 300 so I cut her up and made her shine:

mynew300.png

superglow.jpg

Tore out the HDD rack and made a new way to mount my drives. I only use 1 HDD and 1 SSD and don't plan on getting anymore HDDs so I made a rack with some cheap L brackets from the hardware store

2012-10-06_21-00-22_768.jpg

I cut cable management holes in the mobo tray and painted the interior glossy black

2012-10-06_19-26-33_497.jpg

I cut a bottom 120mm intake, and a 100mm hole for my PSU. I couldn't do 120mm because I didn't want to move the feet, I removed the stock feet and used wall-mounted rubber door stops that I painted black.

2012-10-06_19-13-52_823.jpg

2012-10-06_17-28-42_794.jpg

2012-10-06_16-22-23_187.jpg

I5-2500k
Maximus IV GENE-Z
8GB SAMSUNG 1866 cl8
Antec Kuhler 620
Sapphire 7870
64GB Samsung 830
1TB Seagate Barracuda
Enermax Liberty 500w

My goodness, now I want to mod my brother's Antec 300 :lol: You did one great job...hella sexy!

thejamiel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011

Good work sticky! one day ill make more cuts. 300s arent that bad at all.

im going white LED instead of blue, changing it up to see how she looks

Thanks for the praise guys!

Yeah the cable management needs work. There isn't a ton of room behind the mobo tray and I used to hide cables behind the HDD racks too. I actually didn't think about that when I got rid of it until I was putting all the components back in the finished case!

I might be upgrading PSU next week, after that or even if I decide not too I'll try to tighten up the cable management.

Oh yeah I have another case I modded this weekend. Its the HEC 63R3BB, it's an okay budget case, but I have the modding fever and anything box shaped made out of steel or aluminum is no longer safe... :D
Stock case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121120

2012-10-14_15-25-18_51.jpg

hecFinishmod1.png

hecModding.png

2012-10-14_16-07-40_424.jpg

FX 8150
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
4GB Crucial Ballistix
Hyper 212 Evo
MSI 6670 GDDR5
2x 250GB HDDs
Antec Earthwatts 500w

I have an odd assortment of fans because I had no intentions of buying new fans for this machine. I have one 100mm, two 120mm, three 92mm, and one 80mm! I cut out the top mesh because it was supposed to fit two 120mm fans but they don't fit because the motherboard CPU ATX and memory slots get in the way. So I centered a 120mm fan in plexiglass right over my Hyper 212 Evo that I have oriented to blow up out the top. Temps improved across the board and it has a clean custom look now.

Lutfij

Titan
What should i do different?
1| make the top acrylic frosty or if you want, drill holes in it to make it look like a perforated top panel or modders mesh'll take care of that.
2| get yourself a matched set of fans that should go well with the theme of the case
3| if you haven't figured it, start with a theme. You did it nicely on the first posting :)
4| cablemanagement(routing and hole cutting)
5| this is regarding the posts:
its a member gallery thread not a mod thread - by this I mean't by including your rig specs :D
6| square off that side panel widow or have it rounded off (the edges)
7| after specs come online - I'll be blah blah'ing more

[:lutfij:3]

Yeah the fans are all different, i basically just cleared out my spare parts box :D!

Specs for that machine:

FX 8150
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
4GB Crucial Ballistix
Hyper 212 Evo
MSI 6670 GDDR5
2x 250GB HDDs
Antec Earthwatts 500w

Specs aren't that impressive, its my media streaming, folding, kids computer.

Specs for Antec 300:

I5-2500k
Maximus IV GENE-Z
8GB SAMSUNG 1866 cl8
Antec Kuhler 620
Sapphire 7870
64GB Samsung 830
1TB Seagate Barracuda
Enermax Liberty 500w

Lutfij

Titan

Didn't notice that post. You're very welcome mate, just thought you could use some time off from being the urban cable monster :lol:

@ stickyg1 - Edit your previous posts and include the specs in under the rigs you've modded :) will look neat.

PM me with a shot inside of your Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rig so we can take this conversation off topic :)

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Will be posting a couple new pics tonight after work, taking into account what I learned from lutfij's advice, +1 btw, it should be looking a bit cleaner when the pics go up.

Okay I edited, I didnt cut any cable management holes because there is about 1/16th of an inch between motherboard tray and side panel. I cut a hole for front panel wires because the 22awg wires fit without bulging the side panel. Anything wider would cause problems. I might put mesh on the top, I didn't want holes though because the room that PC is in is so dusty. I actually cut all the mesh out and sealed it with plexi because of that. I'm getting filters for the 2 side intakes as well. All other intakes are filtered. I have 2 air purifiers in that room and change the air filters every month and its still so dusty. My GF dusts once a week minimum. The tenants before us were filthy according to our landlord and neighbors, IDK what they did but the air system needs a good cleaning and my landlord wont pay for it. I dont have the $2K they want to do it so oh well. I'll PM you pictures of the interior after work!

I like yours too! I see you got the NZXT sleeved light strips, I love those! I put mine in last week, So nice!

The Antec 300 has a lot of potential, but stock setup leaves you wanting more!