Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 119 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I would have some new pics of my setup now fully enclosed in a black and orange phantom case. There was just one problem. After two days of setup, leak testing, and making sure everything was perfect my power supply blew up ten minutes into the intinal run. It was a sad day indeed.

Good news is i have a new one on the way, should be here saturday. So expect pics shortly thereafter. Assuming when the power supply went it only killed itself.

On another note the past few builds posted here are pretty sweet looking!

Oh and posting from my tablet is a real pain in the A.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Oh i know it can, it wasn't really a "bad" power supply though. It was an antec and it lasted for well over a year being pushed to its limits. Everything dies eventually.

I'm hoping it didn't kill everything because shortly before it blew the system just powered off and wouldn't start back up even though according to the M/B led it had power. I thought it was a water leak but while i was checking for leaks i heard a fizzing noise similar to a fuse on a firecracker, then came a loud pop and a flash from the psu. Scared the s**t right out of me.

Unfortunatly for me i have no way of knowing if it killed any of my componets untill the new psu arrives on Saturday.

I'd agree that tablets suck for content creation in any and all forms, but I mainly use mine for portable content comsumption and for that it works great.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
You may have misunderstood, everything thing was fine durning leak testing, psu was jumpered using the supplied jumper and all was well.

System was completely assembled and running, then the system shut down on it's own and wouldn't reboot, it was durning this time while the system was off and i was searching for a culprit that the power supply blew.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
No worries.

All i can do now is sit here and pray that the only thing fried in my system was the psu.

I'll post back on saturday, hopefully from my computer and not this tablet!

dodger6936

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
NOOB Budget Build - Engineering Student use. AutoCAD, SolidWorks, MicroStation, ProE...etc.

raidmaxblackstormcablemanagement2_zpse5684f9a.jpg

rig_zps3b85b371.jpg

AMD FX 8350 8 Core OC 4.4ghz
Patriot Viper Black 2 x 8 gb 1600 Mhz
Asus M5A97
EVGA Gt 630
Raidmax Blackstorm Case
Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler

I like the use of the ducting tubing, but theres too much of it to my eyes, try consolidating them into larger ducts maybe?
Or go fully steampunk/apocalypse and highlight them with some copper/bronze paint, check out
This for some guidance on P.a styling
That isn't the easiest case to work in I know but it could be better looking inside :p
Moto

dodger6936

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Thanks for the help. Consolidating has crossed my mind. When I first built this the words cable management weren't even in my vocabulary...In short, nothing I bought is conducive to be managed...lol ... I'll update it when I upgrade it.

Lutfij

Titan
I like that rig dodger - however that PSU is whats got my going :heink: juggle the front bay devices a bit and see if you can manage the wires any differently. When you'll go for a better PSU, the length of them cables will be better and ofc your HDD will move down to the drive cage instead of one fo the floppy bays :)

If you were on a budget , why'd you buy a H60? how much did it cost you?

RussK1

Splendid

The psu was probably a combo deal and came with the case. I agree though, first priority is replacing the psu shaped object.

Almost bought water cooling stuff yesterday. MC had this slim triple 180mm radiator for $110 that was pretty cool (also had RX360 triple for $95). Was going to buy a Alphacool VPP655 pump, Watercool Heatkiller Rev. 3 block, maybe the Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi type, the needed compression fittings/tubing, and coolant... (everything was 1/4") but I decided to wait and get alittle more organized and just get a kit from Frozen CPU or something.

Lutfij

Titan
:O ooo i see RussK1 going wet all over ! kudos man! but em, you can find alot of other blocks for that price and are better in performance ;)

hey Russ, pop by the watercooling sticky and stock yourself with info. You can actually get a head start in knowledge. I'll be getting my stuff in a while. You can check out my build logs as well on the parts I've ordered.

RussK1

Splendid

Will do but hey, what do you think of the pump by the way? 1,500L/hr? That's good right?

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
My new case! After getting this I don't know if I will ever go back to a mid tower.

Finally got the new PSU on Christmas eve since the shipping monsters shipped it to the wrong side of the country first :fou: .

Pics:
IMG_20121225_104504_zps6c924e8f.jpg

IMG_20121225_104406_zpsca30551e.jpg

IMG_20121224_225848_zps47d032b0.jpg

IMG_20121224_225831_zps6549b566.jpg

Specs:
Phenom II x4 955 @ 4.2Ghz N/B @ 2.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth 990fx
G Skill 12Gb 1600Mhz
500Gb and 2Tb @ 7200rpm
Rosewell 630watt green series
NZXT phantom full tower case
13 Fans
RS360 Rad, raystorm cpu block, pump/res combo, and a danger den 1155 cpu block on the gpu

I also found what may have caused my last PSU to explode, there was a small rubber foot from my old case that somehow got lodged in the power supply fan causing it to overheat, shut down, and then blow up :(

I still have to straighten up the wiring a bit more but after having to do the wiring twice I was growing very impatient. My main concern is dealing with the wires I stuck under the hard drives.

Just installed new Christmas goodies, so here is an update of my rig:

imag0028sm.jpg

Yes, I have removed the heatsink from one of the RAM sticks so it would fit under the cooler. The cooler is millimeters from the side panel with it installed, but it does fit.

Here's the back. Yes, the back panel does fit. (with some 'persuasion') Most of that crap is from my fan controller.

imag0027pg.jpg

Garpatron

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

In your sig you said you have a 7970 but in your post you have a 7870?

EDIT: Didnt notice the this build is for someone else I thought it was yours since you are posting in the member rig gallery

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Glad to see I'm not the only one on here with that case. :) I had a mid tower prior to the Phantom as well. I love the full tower, but also miss the size/portability of a mid tower since I bring my computer places fairly often.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

It kind of looks like it in pictures but trust me it's pretty large. Source: I have the exact same case.

Fixed my cable management a bit.

I can't do anything about the audio header being at the back of the motherboard and the cable from the front panel not being long enough to make it through the back of the case and back to the front. I guess I could run it under the board but I don't really care or see the need to move it.

tsmall

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Wanted to post this in a while now, but waited for the last few touches (Bitfenix alchemy cables), at last its finally done and i can show it off, this is the first build that I've built myself from scratch.

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 White
CPU: I5 3570k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
M/B: Asrock z77 extreme 6
RAM: 2x4 G.skill Ares 1600
GPU: MSI geforce gtx 670 Power Edition (factory o/c).
Sound Card: Creative Fx-Titanium.
SSD: Samsung 830 128 GB
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU: Seasonic X-series 850w 80+ gold

IMG_02821.jpg

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0304.jpg

DSCN0296.jpg

PS. This is the Real builder hiding there in the first pic