Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 121 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DorianGraves

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Everyone's rigs look really great, good job guys!

Here is my small contribution, for now:
imagegyhl.jpg

Specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
Asrock extreme3 970
2x4gb gskill RAM 1333mhz
1tb WD Caviar Black
Rosewill Challenger Mid-Tower Case
1x 120mm LED fan
1x 120mm fan
1x 140mm fan
ASUS GTX 550 ti 1gb Gddr5

I'm thinking about upgrading to these specs in or around February 2013:

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair h100 liquid cooling system
Same mobo, or maybe 990fx
Same ram, but upgrade to 4x4gb
Same hdd
Ocz vertex 4 SSD
Cooler Master HAF 912 (so I can fit the h100)
I'll pull the fans out of the Challenger and put them in the HAF 912
Then I'll ditch the 550ti and add a 670 FTW, then sli them later.

Comment? Questions? I welcome them!

Lutfij

Titan
Thank you :)

1| don't upgrade down the AMD path for now, just wait out until mid this year and news will start gushing forth from both camps!
2| rotate pic
3| cablemanagement
4| similar advice pertaining to GPU as was given for CPU :)

^ I could give you more however, thread rules - off topic chatter via PM :)

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
Pretty clean build, i like it. are those water tubes UV reactive? and isn't that cpu getting a little outdated or do i not know much about old amd cpu's? could you post a few more pics, i would like to see this build at different angles :)

Lutfij

Titan
Updated my prev post and my member config. Though the build log has more info on my stuff.

@ mlcaouette - the best idea is to have a thread of your own and you can add posts to showcase your gradual and immediate updates. You can link the threads to various galleries and maybe if its a build log, can go accordingly.

@ snowsniper2 - I sent you a PM, no reply as of yet :)...or that its yet unread :p perform the CM'ing tips I mentioned and you can also pick up some pointers by looking through the AMS build log.

I like the FC5...was in a dilemma on which one to get but I have this and I have the Bitfenix recon for the other build log.

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
i looked at all the picks of your build pics @lutfij and there isn't a straight on one of the components and how the cable management looks like from the front. if there was and i missed it please PM it to me i really like the look of your build :)

Lutfij

Titan
oh I did the back :) - I'm trying to find time to take pics of the case to show the innards nicely, however the pointers were that; get the majority of your cables behind mobo tray with ALOT of zipties - I think I I finished a bag of 100 4" clear zipties except for a handful of them.

Will def post a pic after I've uploaded on Photobucket.

Lutfij

Titan
sorry for double posting
IMG_0396-1.jpg

IMG_0398-1.jpg

IMG_0417-1.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

* I despise flash photography, just did it to show you the wires - but honestly you won't even see them on normal circumstances which is under naturally lit rooms or with a bulb in the corner of a room.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
"@ mlcaouette - the best idea is to have a thread of your own and you can add posts to showcase your gradual and immediate updates. You can link the threads to various galleries and maybe if its a build log can go accordingly."

Thanks for the above suggestion Lutfij, I will do so for future updates. Plus I'll put the old pictures in there so people can easily see the progression. Your build looks awesome, I really like the interior color scheme.

Lutfij

Titan
@ mlcaoulette - [:lutfij:3] thank you! and your welcome! Picked parts accordingly and it paid off in the end with the copper, white, black and red scheme.
regarding your build log/progress thread - PM me the link to that thread, would love to check it out :)

@ jakewat97 - just re-read your earlier post, thank you, glad you liked it.

knotman

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hi guys! A (kinda') new Norwegian guy here. :D

Pretty happy with my build, thinking of getting another card for SLI. I know for myself that I don't need it, but I want it.
A 17 year old with a monthly income of 500-600$, and no real outcome, components are just a few clicks away...

Nine noctua fans! :love:
Migyy.jpg

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/Migyy.jpg

Case: Corsair Obsidian 550D
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
CPU: Intel Core i7 3570k @ 4.5GHz
GPU: Asus GTX 670 Direct CUII
PSU: be quiet! P10 850W
Cooler: Noctua D14
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600MHz LP
SSD: Intel 520 120GB
HDD1: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200RPM
HDD2: Samsung Spinpoint 2TB 5400RPM
Fan controller: Lamptron Touch

Couldn't really be more pleased with this build at this point! I really love the PSU, the largest investment right after the GPU. Cost me 350$, but it was worth every penny! (Even though we don't have dollars or pennies over here.)

As you can see, the GPU is bending a bit, not as twisted as the image leads you to believe, but it's bending at the joint between the I/O plate and the card itself, BUT I got a PowerColor Powerjack in the mail last week, took six weeks to get here from Australia, as it was impossible to get in in Norway. It works like a charm.

http://i.imgur.com/l1CuO.jpg
Ghetto fanmount v1.0
The PSU was just a bit too big for the fan to be mounted in the mounting holes, but strips worked great!

I would welcome any kind of criticism on my English, thank you.

But anyway: Thoughts?

Snowsniper2

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
ok mate ill check my pms i havent been on alot so i just quickly check this forum and hop off with a question or something XD
Your vintage case mod looks great too ive read through that

Nice build. Your English is excellent. You could remove the "for myself" from the above sentence to make it better, but that is extremely minor. Otherwise your post was flawless English.

Snowsniper2

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I just realised what Lutfij's rig was :O
A core 2 quad Q9550?
Its getting on a little bit but it must fly at 3.4ghz being the same frequency as my i5 lol
Ive always loved the core 2 series XD
I have 4 core 2 machines still running
core 2 duo e6600 posted earlier
Core 2 duo E8450 3ghz in my low profile machine hooked up to my projector
core 2 quad Q8400 posted earlier
and
core 2 duo E6300
if anyone wants photos of them just ask and ill post :)

Lutfij

Titan
@ snowsniper2 - Well it can still chew anything I throw at it at stock, with a lil drop in FPS however I game on my offtime(with as high a settings as I can get-which is everything maxed)). Rendering and photoshop duties are what I usually do professionally :) 3.2Ghz made it fly...and I can still go more.

I'm in the midst of lowering my vcore to the absolute minimum while holding stable on that 3.4GHz and so far, 12hr P95 test all cores pass. Heat is tamed by my AMS and to say the least, that H50 was really bad even with a dual rad mod but now I know cooling isn't going to hold me back.

^all updates/progress are on my AMS build log - this is a gallery thread :)

I'm finding it a really funny situation when so many people are amazed by seeing my Q9550 - last I checked this isn't OCN where we prescribe expensive hardware just to stay in the same pack of alpha males. Similarly this isn't 2001 where everything inside case was power hungry and you'd need a ~1KW psu, everything can be run off a 450W~550W gold rated PSU. I can't find the link but a realistic test was produced to show how much power we really need off of a high ended single GPU system with the best of overclocks - so 750+W's of power, a lil too much for my taste.

Starting with vintage case mod, I'm shooting for a really low power consumption on an overclock too.

*on the cpu hierarchy chart my cpu is still top notch :)
**this is a member gallery mate, post and maybe ask people to rate your effort/rig :)

@ knotman - I once liked the Noctua fans about 3 years back but now the noiseblockers are the next best thing to the noctuas, silent and they come in black with ice black blades - awesome for any case with any color interior.

Snip those cable ties at the bottom, remove side panel case fan as that wire is def dangling inside case when case panel is shut and lastly tidy up the bunch of wires going to the top of the drive bays. Manage wires that run to your coolers and fans - they can be much more stealthier.

One of my favorite cases is the 550D :sol:

If you hadn't mentioned you're from Norway, I'd have guessed you were a person with English as a first language.

knotman

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Don't know how much I can tidy up the cables at the top there, maybe it's possible to run them behind the drive bays an then into the fan controller. Shouldn't be impossible, especially with a dremel at hand.

I don't really want to remove the fan in the side panel, as I like having a fan directly blowing at the GPU, maybe I can make it go along the side panel, so the only dangling will be right outside the drive bays.

The rest you mentioned is on my to-do list.

We don't have the same number of brands and products as you've got. So Noctua was a no-brainer for me. But I really wish we could have more stuff to choose from. Like when I wanted the be quiet! PSU, there was just a few online stores here that had them, and fewer stores, means less competition and higher prices.

Right now I want to switch out my Logitech Illuminated with a Das Keyboard Ultimate with brown switches, but I'll have to buy it from some other European country to get it.

knotman

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Don't know how it is with warranties and such in Bangladesh, but in Norway you are given five years on electronics, no matter what company or store you buy it from, as long as it is in Norway. When ordering online like that, you may not get more than one or two years, and if the product fails, It may not even be worth shipping it back, since the prices for that here are pleasant.

Doesn't look like a Max Keyboard is something for me, probably gonna get a Das Keyboard Ultimate. Their mouse looked quite neat though. :)

EDIT:
And one other drawback with ordering from abroad, is the customs. All orders over 35$ will be stopped in customs, you'll have to pay a 10-15$ fee, as well as 25% tax of the item prices as well as the original shipping fee. So an order that costs 40$+10$ in shipping will easily go over 80$.

Lutfij

Titan
:) I'm willing to pay for that since I wouldn't want to be someone with the same hardware as thousands of other, something different , something new :sol:

Might want to know it cost me another 6% for my AMS rad to pass EU borders into US and then to my shores. Thing weighed 8 lbs.

* we're cluttering this thread with our border rants...lets take it via PM, but for now my cablemanagement ideas still stand :)

TRENDING THREADS