Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RussK1

Splendid

You have a really nice rig but you're not doing it any justice with the cable management and having the Phantom that supports it. All top notch parts, a $600 GPU and a stock Intel cooler?

Lutfij

Titan
@ wud - your alias is erm...

FYI - those lil fans arent keeping your cpu any cooler. They're designed to cool the mobo! Stock cooler @ 70C [:lutfij:2] - better get an aftermarket cooler like a Hyper instead of going with a CLC, your temps should be around the 20~30C court.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
CL water coolers don't perform well enough to justify their price. If you're going to drop over $100 on WC, you might as well do it properly and get a custom loop.

Here's a Tom's article that says that the Noctua D14 pretty much outperforms most CL water coolers... it performs within a few degrees of the best (Corsair 100i) but is much cheaper. The Hyper 212 Evo is a bit cheaper than the D14 and not as high-performing, but for $30-35 it's a great cooler.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h100i-elc240-seidon-240m-lq320,3380-14.html

Yes, yes they are,
kindly read the entirity of the gallery and do try to pick some tips up, there are lots of great rigs and nifty ideas in here if only you scour the pages and pay attention :p
Moto

G

the irish ghetto special:
PSU: antec NEO ECO 620
MOBO: Asus P8H67-V
CPU: i5-2400
COOLER: Noctua NH-D14
GPU(s): EVGA GTX 570 | GTX 550ti
RAM: PNY DDR3 1333 CL9
HD(s) : WD 1 TB Black | WD 2 TB Green
OPTICAL: some no name DVD R/W

Old case: i had found the D-14 for $40 on craig's list and just couldn't say no:
15624138168750525924520.jpg

as you can see the hard drives caused a problem with clearance; one even had to be tilted. and cable mangement was supervised by the fortune cookies at the bottom; they didn't dust very often though and were eaten later.

after finding a case on the curb while driving:
img20121229171331.jpg

a little more room for the D-14 and cable mangement improved though a little "busy" around the 24 pin mobo connect with the drives in the same space. (apologies for the blurriness)

comparison of depth:
img20121230172559.jpg

again sorry for the cheap phone pic.

i have always kept the sides off of my cases so i am not discouraged that the D-14 sticks out on the side. now you may ask yourself why a D-14 for a i5-2400? well my temps were hitting ~70c in prime95 while undervolted and with the D-14 i can't recall seeing them go past 50c and it was so cheap!

using the 6 pin adapter for the 550ti isn't too exciting for me, but i had picked up the neo eco new for $35 and simply wanted to replace the CM eXteme Power+ 700 that was bought for me. when i got the GTX 570, again another CL find for $160, i moved the 550ti in the x4 slot for physX because i felt guilty about having a PSU that was 100 watts more than i needed.

thanks for reading/scoffing/laughing/grimacing at my post.

cheers.

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Leaving the side off the case may not be helping your temps .. All the testing on airflow in cases suggests that a relatively uninterupted front too rear air flow ( low/front to rear/high ) gives the best performance . I could be wrong but thats my understanding . BTW are all the hdd racks occupied ?? if not and you dont plan to fill them , some simple modding may be helpfull . :)

Lutfij

Titan
I could be wrong but that's my understanding .
No there was a test conducted that the tunnel/stack effect would greatly improve the flow of air and the distance with which cooler air can travel before dispersing impacts the cooling of a component.

^ Positive and negative pressure cases are designed with this in mind.

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Well I had to be right sooner or later !! I'll alert the media :D

G

yeah, i am aware that forced convection is better than natural convection for transferring heat. your completely spot on with low/front for cooler air intake and top/rear for exhaust of warmer air.

i am considering moving the HDs up to clear up that clump of cables by the 24 pin connection. and then cutting out the HD rack. really it wasn't exactly a planned move; i saw the case @ the curb on my way home, stop my van to pick it up, walk in my door and was booted back into windows; gaming/web surfing 2 hours later.

thanks for your input.

BlackmonFoy

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
My first post and my latest build . . .

8277204740_8df09ffc8d_b.jpg

i5 3570K (OC 4.2)
ASRock Extreme6 Z77
16gb Vengeance 1600
EVGA GTX 660
Samsung 840 series 250gb ssd
2 x Deskstar 2tb
1 x Barracuda 2tb
1 x Barracuda 1.5tb
Asus dvd burner
Asus Blu-ray burner
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050W
Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler
3 x Noctua NF-S12B 120mm
2 x Antec Tri-Cool led 120mm
Antec Eleven Hundred
Win 8 Pro

Thanks for looking,
Foy

Lutfij

Titan
@ BlackmonFoy - C'mon after 63 pages you could think of adding pics of a nest? :p Tidy up those wires and whats that wedge of paper up top by the drive bays? Furthermore running the GPU on that slot...are you getting its maximum bandwidth? That sleeved extension on your 24pin doesn't go along with the rest of the wires.

BUT seriously, cablemanagement - alot of helpful tips if you follow the prev 62 pages.

BlackmonFoy

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, I just put the video card in whatever handy slot there was, closest to me so I wouldn't have to reach as far; 3.0 or 15.9, whatever it takes.

The Extreme6 has <I>two</I> PCI Express 3.0 x16 lanes, the upper one that would have put the card hard against the D14, and the one I used. Same bandwidth on both lanes. It would have fit (barely) but I didn't like it.

Yes, I used un-peeled Velcro strips to temporarily force the tooless drive holders in. They weren't made for the shallow tray fan controller. No mercy expected or deserved.

The wires . . . no defense. Guilty as charged.

I did in fact, look at the previous pages and of course I won't use worse examples seen here to justify my poor cable management behavior.

pleasecanIhaveanotherFoy

I say you go back in there and nerve gas the whole F^&king nest,
then take the dropship into a low orbit and nuke the whole Pc, its the only way to be sure
Seriously, even try colour coding the scrap paper you use for the drive to camouflage it some, and don't your Hdd's have their capacity printed on them? you need labels?
and I think the gfx card will fit in the first slot just fine, rerouting those cables in the way as well
I'm in harshmode today, but that Pc needs help
Moto

BlackmonFoy

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
With the side panel on, the drives can't be seen, the Eleven Hundred's clear panel doesn't go over that far. I am not, however, using this as an excuse for poor skills and/or the dementia responsible for hard drive size stickers. I had those drives in another build . . . trying to remember . . .

They were part of a RAID I was having trouble with and the labels made sense, for some reason that escapes me now.

So, I "camouflage" it with the side panel.

notharshenoughFoy