Tom's Hardware Needs More Mobile Reviewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
"and what we don't catch, readers are sure to)."
Perhaps this is dated thinking but isn't the job of the editor to make it so that reader's don't have to catch writing mistakes? I would think that if you were publishing a review you would want every mistake caught before publication...

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
TechnoD: It is not dated thinking. A little sausage making . . . articles go through a multi-step process. First, we try to hire people who know their s*#@, and know how to write. One of us usually does a first read to make sure the content is good, and any initial clean up. Then it goes to a copy desk, which edits for style, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and so on. Producers lay out the article, create charts, and a few other elements that go into how the final article appears to the reader. Then a technical editor pores over the content to ensure accuracy, meaning, and to clean up any final issues. Our managing editor will do a final look before making it ready and scheduling it for publishing. We take accuracy seriously. But it is an imperfect task. I find typos and grammatical mistakes in venerable publications like the Wall St Journal constantly. I happen to think we're better than most, and I can promise you we strive for perfection. In 10 page reviews of highly technical matter, it is a constant quest. Shorter answer: Yes. :)

Larry: No. These are primarily freelance/contract opportunities. You do get paid for your work. Sometimes when freelancers are fantastic, we end up hiring them (or trying).

- Fritz Nelson, Editor-in-chief, Tom's Hardware

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Not to nitpick but if you want to be "better than most", maybe you guys can stop using contractions. It drives me crazy. I am far from perfect but I notice these things.

MobileEditor

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Not to nitpick but if you want to be "better than most", maybe you guys can stop using contractions. It drives me crazy. I am far from perfect but I notice these things.

Thank you for your feedback. Ultimately, the use of contractions is a matter of style and writing for a specific audience. For example, contractions would be avoided when writing scientific or engineering papers (as an aerospace engineer, I wrote many of these). However, we feel our writing is more engaging if we avoid the third person point of view and make it sound more conversational (the only being I ever heard speak without using contractions is Commander Data :)

I hope you do not find this style decision too offensive, and hopefully you can still enjoy the content.

- Matt H.

P.S. I did not use a single contraction in this comment :)

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
it does seem lately you have too many people who are just doing opinion pieces aboutt theories and other that are just flamebait more than actual news and reviews

I'm not sure what you would consider flamebait...?

the apple article about why the writer bought a mac is a good example. considering the article was filled with many controversial points on the pc hardware that was used to compare against the apple hardware

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

the apple article about why the writer bought a mac is a good example. considering the article was filled with many controversial points on the pc hardware that was used to compare against the apple hardware

I disagree on the "flamebait" accusation--it's never our intention to produce content with that design, in any case--but I can see how you might interpret that particular article as such. However, I believe our readership is capable of having conversations around divisive topics without devolving into flame wars.

Even so, that article's over three months old. That hardly constitutes "lately," and a single article does not a trend make. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

If you don't like op-eds in general, that's a different story.

MobileEditor

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
If anyone has trouble loading/submitting the survey, you can PM me directly. Send me a mini review of a smartphone or tablet. At least a couple paragraphs for: Intro, Design, and Software.

- Matt H.

Status
Not open for further replies.