Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Ashes of the Singularity

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zYbSeb

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
I'd like to see DUNE adapted to new machines... I'm really hoping today's engines are more than capable of delivering what you can "see" by reading a book on the screen!

Derek Carlson

Reputable
May 26, 2015
Railroad Tycoon, especially based on Railroad Tycoon 2. Railroad Tycoon 3 was okay, and Sid Meier's Railroads was terrible, but I'd really like a good remake of Railroad Tycoon 2 or 3.

Without question Half Life needs a rebirth. I replayed HL2 with the updated textures mod and it looked better, but it still shows its age. Valve has missed a huge opportunity with not developing HL3 (and no, Episodes 1 and 2 were not it).

jldinbama

Reputable
May 13, 2015

Obviously a lot of RTS fans in this thread, but it's pretty amazing that two long-running giants of the genre have been more or less completely forgotten. I'll go a bit further and say what I'd like to see in each:

Command & Conquer: Get back to the reality-based roots of the game. The original, and Red Alert, were both strongly steeped in real combat. It seemed the more tiberium-crazy they got, the worse. For a reboot, I think they could really focus on taking a Company of Heroes vibe and mixing it in with the slightly-oddball themes like you saw in Generals. Keep it just on the edge of realism and believability.

Age of Empires: I really feel like the issue with Age of Empires is that advanced controls don't scale well with large unit sizes. Either the units have to be simple (Ashes), or you have to aggregate them (Total War series). Given AoE's historical roots, it'd be pretty awesome if they went in the Total War direction. The hardwareis about at the point where it's feasible for the player to build a fortress city in-game, build up an army (with only a few units with large unit sizes), and fight in a semi-realistic 3D mockup map.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
I agree with AoE II recommendations above. A proper reboot would be amazing. I also own the HD versions and have less than 10hrs on steam on the game as it is not on par with modern titles. A solid reboot with revamped graphics and gameplay is needed. Something in the vein of what Valve has done with Dota 1.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished

Hmm, I don't agree. The controls in AoE II were decent even by today's standards. Unit control (control groups etc) was well done. The amount of military units on a map never overpowered the available controls.

EDIT: Unless you are talking exclusively about AoE 1...

Ryguy64

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Total Annihilation deserves a reboot. Maybe this is it?

Someone else said Chrono Trigger. I'd be happy with that too.

The worlds of Everquest (though I'd strike the word Everquest from the actual title to get some distance from the darker elements in its past). Multiple planets, universes, domains, multiple races and religions, an expansive timeline of history. I'd love to see AAA / Hollywood treatment of this multi-verse, not necessary rebooted as a MMO, but a single player with multi player elements ala Dark Souls, with all encounters tuned for 1-16 players, to support a more action RPG crowd, friendly for consoles.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
AoE (especially AoE 2) was definitely a great game. We still play that as well (my brother-in-law having introduced my nephews to it). However, in some ways I think it already had a semi-reboot with Rise of Nations.

Andrew_169

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
"I'm Dale Jarret and this is NASCAR Racing from Papyrus." The old NASCAR series from Papyrus/Sierra. Man those were great games. The NASCAR games from today don't even come close to the amount of customization to your car you could have. If you had a little bit of know-how you could even make a nice custom car skin. Greatest NASCAR game ever.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished

I played (and still own) all the AoE titles. In my opinion, AoE II: The Conquerors (I have lots of competitive hours on this) was the best of them all. Rise of Nations was definitely not a reboot of AoE. The balance and gameplay cannot be compared.

TRENDING THREADS