Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Ashes of the Singularity

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joneswk

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
The series most deserving of a reboot (or a remake) is Ultima. It's one of the class CRPG series and for its time was well received and well made, at least until Ultima IIX.

Otherwise, though they're not series, Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and/or Planescape: Torment deserve a revisit too.

Ravenwingsts

Reputable
May 26, 2015
Not sure how you would do it but (showing my age) Ultima was where I started some 3+ decades ago.
I can recall waiting until the next in the series came out and figuring out how to get it quickly (I was living in the Middle East at the time).
Talking about playing and progress with coworkers at the office (I was working in a corporate applications development department).

(Command and Conquer would have to be a close second.)

broodling123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

For me the series most deserving of a reboot is the Myth series from Bungie. I really enjoyed both the game mechanics and lore, and I definitely feel that the series didn't quite reach its full potential.

There are so may old pc games that could do with a reboot.

Back in the days when 3D graphics cards became available for the Pc, the 3D FX cards with 4Mb of memory on them.
It was just simply stunning comparing it to a PC that was running the game without Glide, or Direct X 3D.

One Game that Stuck out most of all shortly after the event of 3D graphics technology came to Pc`s.

Just has to be Interstate 76, I say this because the sheer atmosphere and story line of the game was so well put together.
From the period or year the story of the game was set in, To the missions you had to perform, and the ability to upgrade your car, and weaponry.
And the caricatures of the game, to the in game speech.

Anyone of a age old enough to experience this game, for it pure play ability if it was rebooted and revamped with better graphics would buy and play this game.

For it`s single player and multiplayer modes it provided.
The game was a sheer joy to play, and a real challenge when it came to some missions I will admit.

But for pure playing and engrossment, many hours of play.

Interstate 76 deserves a reboot for today`s pc`s with modern graphics hardware in my mind.

And would be well deserved.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
well, you asked a hard question...

personally, i don't like the idea of rebooting, remake on the other hand, now you have some options.

the classic rct games, in that graphic style or close to it, but that's happening with parkitect
revolt is another good one.
sim city 2000, with roughly the same art style with ease of mobility so you can make a real city that looks wildly different and has a somewhat timeless appeal to it.

Im trying to think of other games that could stand a remake...

dwarf fortress kind of, at least by someone who knows how to make a ui and thats about it.

Hydrotricithline

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Most deserving of a reboot? Daggerfall/morrow-wind, how long has it been since we didn't just see 'another version' of skyrim rehashing stuff that already happened. With the new HTC and various other VR devices, this game and genre would be amazingly compatible with both VR and multiplayer. Online multi-player RPG with depth and story line. Where as the graphics in this game were always 'passable' it would be pretty easy to port the style over to a modern day VR game. (the graphics on modern VR now look to be about where daggerfall/morrowwind were then) I think this would be a huge under taking but could re-ignite the RPG genre back into some good medieval RPG where you can your 'friends' could get together and have a weekend gaming party in VR with different classes working together (or not) :)

Just my 2 cents :p

A full reboot you ask?

I would vote for Warcraft getting a reboot.
Not another MMO mind you, more a reboot of the Warcraft I/II style RTS.
The originals are simply classic and, IMO, the franchise and gameplay has been sinking since Warcraft III introduced the Hero gameplay element to drive an overdone story.
Give me some classic RTS gameplay with a fun story and no gimmicks please!

effe88

Honorable
Jun 5, 2016
Jedi Knight series! I played those for so many hours and I just loved everything about them. I would love to see them rebooted or continued with up-to-date graphics engine and the same awesome gameplay as the originals ( of course with mod support too!)

arvyb

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
i would love to see some old RTS games rebooted like Warcraft 2. Also my favourites would be classic Command & Conquer (with GDI and NOD) and C&C: Red alert.

emmaps

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

This. Couldn't agree with this any more.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
As a long-time Homeworld fan, I'm going to say I, along with many, MANY, Homeworld fans, are still waiting for HW3, so we know exactly what happened during the Age of Karan S'jet.

So, obviously, Homeworld, for me. The remake was AMAZING, and Shipbreakers is a nice prequel-esque thing, but I want to go back to the universe that made me love it in the first place.

david1123

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I fully support a remake of Half-Life. That would be another instant classic. Another game that I have not heard much about would be Duke Nukem. That could use a serious reboot.

HeerJelle

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I would say the Battle for Middle Earth series.

Altough it was a relatively simple strategy game, it was and still is a blast to play. There's still an active community playing the games, and especially considering the hobbit movies that have since been released there's an easy choice for new content.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I would have said System Shock but seeing as that has been funded on Kickstarter I'm going to have to go with a really old space game called Solar Winds or the similar Star Control II.