Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Ashes of the Singularity

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chalkywis

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Dungeon Keeper would be an excellent reboot.
Not the poor mobile port, but back to the original game. Building dungeons and setting traps could be one part, but expanding it to include a hero challenge mode where you could enter a dungeon to test it out would be great.

tgsa

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Just because I saw a collection of it the other day, it'd be great to have a reboot of the Commandos series. Although other RTS games such as C&C would be great too.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Amen to that! Your very mentioning of the game has prompted me to seriously try and get those games up and running on my PC ASAP. Jedi Knight II was a true masterpiece and my favorite of the series.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Purchased the original Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2 on GOG a few months ago. Happy to report they still hold up :D

jldinbama

Reputable
May 13, 2015

I agree that the AoE II controls work well. The issue is that those controls really wouldn't scale well to significantly larger unit sizes. AoE III generally reduced unit sizes to compensate for more advanced controls. I think, to take the next step and create "army sized" battles, AoE 4 would have to aggregate units a la Total War.

D

Deleted member 217926

I was just reading the thread wondering why no one had mentioned it yet. I played the series to death in the late 90s early 00s. The Mercenaries games were my favorite. Mechwarrior 2 came as a special optimized edition for the 2Mb ATI Rage II + that came with my first PC.

bloodroses

Distinguished

There is a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper called "War for the Overworld"

http://buy.wftogame.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230190/

It has mostly positive reviews on Steam as well.

fcarminato

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Half Life is great and it deserves a reboot.

In the speed racing scene I think one of the best ever racing games is Test Drive.

Somasonic

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
Any of the space shooters of old - Wing Commander, Privateer, Freespace, etc.

Oh man, just saw the post by Avus as I was typing the above - No One Lives Forever and Shogo: Mobile Armor Division for sure!

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I really miss Jak and Daxter.
Donkey Kong Country 4 mayhaps?
How about continuing Starfox Adventures... or Dinosaur Planet, depending on whom you ask, kinda a series.
SIM RETICULATING SPLINES CITY!!!
Its almost been 10 years since Midnight Club, I loved that open world street racing game series... and soundtrack
Any mech series, because Titanfall isn't cutting it, yet.
I almost forgot, Banjo-Kazooie! Conker too, depending on how mature I'm feeling at any specific moment.
Not really series, but Luigi's Mansion, and a Super Mario RPG that follows Legend of the Seven Stars would be appreciated.

There are too many more, and tons have been listed, I'm going to nostalgia cry the rest the day away now.

idahospud

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
My choice would be Delta Force by Novalogic released in 1998. That was to first game I played online with my screaming 486 machine. At the time, that game was very popular and everyone was still on dial-up. Compared to current graphics, Delta Force graphics were like Pong on steroids. I spent countless hours playing that game and meeting new friends. It was great. When team speak came out it became so much more to play and talk with buddies.

Probably showing my age but I would love to see Delta Force 1 rebooted with current graphics and sound. Can someone make this so?

Thanks.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008

oh, good one. Yes, the original ones, before M$ butchered it.

Stephen Szabo

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
So there are some great answers on here already. So in terms of a reboot (not a continuation - whether sequel, prequel, or side story, not a remake, and not a remaster, but an actual, complete reboot), I'd have to agree with many of the existing answers. Command and Conquer (any of them)? Age of Empires? Any of the myriad of Star Wars games (since they're no longer canon)? Space Quest? I would be incredibly happy with any of those.

But how about we reboot Duke Nukem? The disaster that was Duke Nukem Forever just screams for them to just throw away everything you knew about him and make him into a fresh character. Give him a new persona and turn him into something worthy. Give the series a darker, more serious tone with a lead character that's witty, but maybe in a jaded kind of way. Could you imagine a gritty, more serious Duke Nukem? Maybe change the character's name (so it's not so ridiculous). I could support something like that for sure!

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Here are some of my picks for a series to be reboot.

Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Black & White
Crusaders of the Dark Savant(1st PC game I ever bought)
Half Life

...and that's all I have to say bout that.