Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Hover Junkers!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apriest8781

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
I have to agree that the mechwarrior games see optimal for VR. You're seated in a moving construct so the various problems with vertigo/nausea should be lessened by movement in VR.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
The old Wing Commander series, the low graphics make it well suited for current gen VR rigs, and the fact it is a seated cockpit experience makes it work really well I would think. :)

FPGA68k

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
I think Worms3D would only make sense in VR. In VR it is much more fun to hold a huge big bazooka or throw a sheep. You could better guess the distance. Also Worms involves only little movement and therefor less nausea. So I hope Team17 will work on WormsVR anytime soon.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Too Easy: TRON 2.0

Old_Newbie remembers playing TRON 2.0 on PC. It was one of the first multiplayer PC games I was able to play over the internet with my brother.

I think TRON 2.0 would be a perfect VR port; not only in a VR multiplayer co-op story mode, but also as a bunch of mini-game VR challenges from our favorite TRON "Games of the Grid": light cycles, disc throwing, tank battles, etc. My imagination is running wild with how well these could work in VR. Did I mention Light cycles?

Current VR capability would be able to handle this perfectly with Vive controllers, as well as the new Touch controllers (Just imagine grabbing, throwing, and blocking with your information disc). The graphical detail wouldn't have to be all that complex to represent "the Grid" either, ensuring easily attained smooth frame rates for uninterrupted presence.

This would be a porting opportunity goldmine. Just my $.02

VR Light Cycles!.. just in case you missed it.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
"What multiplayer franchise needs to be ported to VR?"

I think the multiplayer game I'd be most likely to play in VR is World of Warcraft. It's really the only multiplayer game I play still. The model design is low poly enough that they should be able to hit the frame rate requirements for comfortable VR. If Blizzard ever adds Vive support I'll definitely give it a go =)

xFeaRDom

Estimable
Not really into VR exactly, but one thing that would probably make me interested in looking into it, would be if Skyrim or the Far Cry series was implemented into VR. Although Skyrim doesn't have a Multiplayer installation, just a mod, it would make it so much fun to play Skyrim in VR, and Far Cry being similar game-wise (Exploration and killing enemies) then it would be an insane amount of fun, especially on the hardest settings.

And with Ultra graphics on both of these games, even if the VR was in 2K or 4K, it would make it even more insane if your GPU lives up to the standards of that.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Honestly not sure if it would even be possible, or if it would cause countless episodes of people throwing up, but the Portal Franchise would be nice to have on VR.

ElCametron

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
Absolutely impossible until Nintendo joins the VR race but I would love to see smash bros in VR. Combat and movement might be tricky to implement but a guy can dream.

Pokemon Stadium in VR would be bloody incredible too, let's be honest.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
I think the Total War franchise would be a fantastic VR port. Think about sitting on the battlefield as a general and organizing the battle from horseback in VR! If they can code gesture controls which will allow arm signals to issue all the basic commands I believe it can be a very successful port.

BTW Toms, I do not need the prize as I do not have VR and will not get it anytime soon.

Wuznar

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
I'd love to see VR added to Guild Wars 2. Adventuring across a huge world with your friends in that fashion would be a blast! Personally I think all MMOs should have a VR option.

koehlerd

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Descent or Descent Freespace. Just don't eat anything before playing in VR :) Actually, what I would really like to see in VR would be a Star Trek game, where multiple people play the role of the original cast on the bridge or the Enterprise, in VR, and go on missions. That would be awesome. I don't know if there ever was a multiplayer game like that, though.

M for Moartea

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015
Assassin's Creed. Think of the in-game Animus system, reliving a memory inside the game's virtual reality machine. VR inside VR. That's something to blow your mind.