Tom's Hardware System Builder Now Live!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
if it says anything about using myspace/facebook i avoid it like the plague.
so much more could be done with an app like this, but to tie it to facebook is to do evil.

keplar

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I like the idea of this program, but I will never EVER install a Facebook app, of any type, for anybody. Facebook can die in a fire for all I care. Make this a stand-alone here on TH, and I'll be a regular user.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]I hate privacy but love facebook... i live in a glass house and leave the lights on 24/7 too...[/citation]
LOL

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Data Mining.

We aren't mining it for data.

Today. Secure access should be live now.

...rather than spending time working on fixing the thumbs up/thumbs down issues.

Forum issues are handled through the main office in France, which tends to move a little slower. The Tom's Hardware System Builder was built here in the U.S., so we have a bit more agility with this than with the forum issues.

The API is through Pricegrabber, and they've been informed about the issue with the G.Skill ram and are fixing this in their database. They are also reintegrating products from Amazon and Newegg in short order, so the available components should be expanding considerably.

The reason for making this app first available on Facebook is for the share and compare functionality. It's really easy to share and toss up a build real fast and show everyone on your feed. But for those of you in the Facebook holdout crowd, we'll look into seeing how feasible it'd be to make this available on the main site here at Tom's.

randomkid

Distinguished
I check out the app & I dislike it. What is Tom's doing putting top builds that would not work... for example, putting a Sandy Bridge CPU in an X58 motherboard? Simply FAIL.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]jpishgar[/nom]We aren't mining it for data.Forum issues are handled through the main office in France, which tends to move a little slower. The Tom's Hardware System Builder was built here in the U.S., so we have a bit more agility with this than with the forum issues.The reason for making this app first available on Facebook is for the share and compare functionality. It's really easy to share and toss up a build real fast and show everyone on your feed. But for those of you in the Facebook holdout crowd, we'll look into seeing how feasible it'd be to make this available on the main site here at Tom's.[/citation]

I don't agree. Facebook is cool and all but for those of us who know what Facebook is doing to its users, its really pointless to build a system builder that relies on something that lacks the most important think in personal computing, SECURITY.

As others have posted here it looks to me like advertising. Try ars technica it appears they have the right idea when it comes to system building now. Wow Tom's twice in one day first the article about a guy that gets ratted by his uncle for a gang killing while playing Rock band which has absolutely nothing to do with technology and now this. Who the hell is editing this website, my Mom?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
but is security really the most important thing in personal computing? I mean look at the masses of people buying apple products - they don't even want to know about security - and what about the billion of people in china who take lack of security for granted?

It's nice to have no doubt, but it's not nessecarily the most important thing for a lot of people.
Also at this place I'm sitting right now, security is a nessecary evil. More of that equals less of everything else. security and productivity are mutually exclusive (so long as nobody bothers breaking in)

G

I like the TH site but not FB. Too bad I won't be able to play with it :(

G

Good idea: Making a System Builder app with thousands of parts to choose from.

Bad idea: Making a system Builder app with thousands of parts to choose from and making it Facebook exclusive.

gnuster

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I agree with the previous contributors about putting the app here. I just don't feel comfortable with Facebook enough at this time to use the app.

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
App does not work on any of my browsers, it just keeps reloading the page like facebook or the browser cant finish loading it, so it just keeps trying and trying. The page is blank when trying to load, i just have the basic facebook theme or site structure, but no app just an empty facebook page.

Status
Not open for further replies.