Tom's Hardware Wants You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispyamoose

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
This is an interesting idea, but it would be great if the job requirements and background were included.

Just a few ideas here:

1) Age requirement.
2) Location requirement (Do we need to be near the office?).
3) Required hours per week.
4) Exact role (author or editor?).
5) Do we get paid?
6) At what times do articles need to be submitted? Are there deadlines associated with this job?
7) For benchmarking - are we required to do this? If so, are we responsible for buying the hardware ourselves?

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Know enough about Microsoft Excel to create and format charts in a way that readers can easily interpret for themselves.

Lawl. There's a running joke amongst us IS people about how the world lives and dies by Excel..

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]dconnors[/nom]RIP, Second Take...RIP[/citation]

Honestly, I didn't even know they were gone. The second takes were a bit to foolish for me and their opinions and thoughts always seemed to go against my own which increased my dislike.

But aside from personal thoughts, why did they leave? Just got bored?

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
i didnt know they left either!...damnit, that sucks...i actually looked forward to their videos...wow...toms is getting less and less attractive the more I find out about their changes...*sigh*

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Wow,

I wonder if they didn't make this just to shut people up. I mean, I think I could do better than Mr.Parrish (at least when it comes to reporting news, I'm sure his brand of simile and metaphor would be better suited to more creative writing), but they seem to need people ready to benchmark hardware. And I don't read any news sites as consistently as I read Tom's as of late.

[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]But aside from personal thoughts, why did they leave? Just got bored?[/citation]
Tom's Games got axed.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
As a student who works to pay my way through college, I just wouldn't have the time. Also, my job is dry enough as is to go into writing reviews of products based on benchmarks - I read those types of articles because I don't have the time or money to do it myself.

However, I hope their call for help comes up with some good talent and results in a lot more content. (Of course, unlike others, I like the indirectly related content... ones that pertain to the environmental sustainability of computing, energy issues, and alternative technologies.)

city_zen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Yay for renovation! :)

I confess to writing comments about the usage of English in a couple of articles .. but you now it's mostly true. The style is sometimes cliché and the proofreading is apparently optional

Too bad that I'm not a native English speaker, that I live 5,000 miles from the closest Bestofmedia office and that I don't have easy access to the latest hardware :(

Anyway, I hope someone picks up the gauntlet and writes it, since I've read some very well written and thoughtful comments on this site

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ispyamoose[/nom]This is an interesting idea, but it would be great if the job requirements and background were included.Just a few ideas here:1) Age requirement.2) Location requirement (Do we need to be near the office?).3) Required hours per week.4) Exact role (author or editor?).5) Do we get paid?6) At what times do articles need to be submitted? Are there deadlines associated with this job?7) For benchmarking - are we required to do this? If so, are we responsible for buying the hardware ourselves?[/citation]

Ispy,

There is no age requirement, there is no location requirement, there are no required hours per week. As stated in the news clip itself, I'm looking for freelance, contract-based writers. Yes, authors get paid. Deadlines and story requirements are discussed on a case by case basis--if benchmarking is required (and it most often is), then yes, this is part of the job. As far as having testable hardware in-house, bonus points if you have access to much of what we're writing about here.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Know enough about Microsoft Excel to create and format charts in a way that readers can easily interpret for themselves.

I hope any alternative to that will be fine to ?
Don't forget OOo, WP office and many other capable applications.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
[citation][nom]ispyamoose[/nom]This is an interesting idea, but it would be great if the job requirements and background were included.Just a few ideas here:1) Age requirement.2) Location requirement (Do we need to be near the office?).3) Required hours per week.4) Exact role (author or editor?).5) Do we get paid?6) At what times do articles need to be submitted? Are there deadlines associated with this job?7) For benchmarking - are we required to do this? If so, are we responsible for buying the hardware ourselves?[/citation]

Some good questions here, and LOL @ "do we get paid" :D
But I'm interested in one point in particular - is location (US) requirement or is this international job-hunting ad? :) I'm interested! As I sure have themes that Tom's never does and never did..

Status
Not open for further replies.