Tom's Two Million Contest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

er0shima

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Doesn't makes sense to open a contest for "everyone" when clearly only US residents can enter and to make matters worse, 2+M subs are from around the world, not just USA. sighs.... another one bite the dust... very nice prizes tough.

Luv Chylde

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Might not be a good idea to send me a hammer and put me in the same room as technology! We already don't get along well! :D I AM She-Who-Kills-Computers, after all....Also...too much difficulty with the Steam Community thing. Still couldn't get my entry through that one...

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Can you explain in detail the difficulties you're having? Happy to try to help you work through it. Feel free to send me the details via private message here on the forums, or send it as an email to community@tomshardware.com

I know there are issues tracking that particular entry method if your Steam profile is set to private. Otherwise, it should be a fairly simple process, and the entry is granted as soon as you join the Steam group--or immediately, if you're already in the group!

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Doesn't makes sense to open a contest for "everyone" when clearly only US residents can enter and to make matters worse

I wrote a lengthy post on why this is the unfortunate case, you can check it out by clicking "WHY?" next to the note about US only residents. If we could, we would, we've tried, we can't. We do make what we can open to who we can (Steam, hammers, shirts, anything we think we can get away with). Definitely hope you'll participate in those, and the love (albeit limited) that we're legally allowed to show you guys.

-JP

Petar Raickovic

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

Well thanks a lot for replay sir. :) And i hope i will get some Steam game haha :D.. Wish you a good Day/Night

Luv Chylde

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Can you explain in detail the difficulties you're having? Happy to try to help you work through it. Feel free to send me the details via private message here on the forums, or send it as an email to community@tomshardware.com

I know there are issues tracking that particular entry method if your Steam profile is set to private. Otherwise, it should be a fairly simple process, and the entry is granted as soon as you join the Steam group--or immediately, if you're already in the group![/quote]

I know there are issues tracking that particular entry method if your Steam profile is set to private. Otherwise, it should be a fairly simple process, and the entry is granted as soon as you join the Steam group--or immediately, if you're already in the group!

Went back. Tried it again, Went through this time. I had JUST opened that account( for this contest) and maybe that was the problem...

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
What about the rest of the bloody world?
All these 'USA only' contests are starting to royally pi## me off.
Isn't it about time Toms started to recognise its international nature and give the rest of us low lifes outside of the glorious US of A some recognition?
And yes, I'm really, REALLY angry! :(
It's the same with some of the American game publishers (notably Sony Online Entertainment, in my experience), they seem to forget that the US is not the centre of the universe. BTW, I'm in England.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

It ends at 11:59, March 25th. You can use the contest entry page to keep track of this--it has a countdown timer that will tell you how many days/hours are left.

To all the non-US complainers out there why you are always exlcuded from TH prize contests:

Don't blame Tom's Hardware. Blame your nation's politicians for having so many laws, regulations, and penalty taxes in place (like VAT) that it's not worth the trouble to go through all the red tape of bureaucracy in your nations. You elected your governments, now deal with the consequences.

If you don't like it, get involved in your nation's political process and change your government leadership. To get around these bureaucratic obstacles, it COSTS MONEY and like every other business in the real world, they have a BUDGET to work with!!!

***Tired Of Listening To Complaints Directed At The Wrong Party!***

BlueFireZ

Honorable
Sep 10, 2014
I'm sorta angry about how only US members can participate. I don't see why Canadians and other Tom's contributors from different countries can participate, its just the matter of shipping the products farther.

Very disappointed, and hoping for a change.

Are none of you reading the links being posted? There are far more legal issues than extra shipping.
jpishgar has all the answers you need.

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

Awesome, thank you for the quick response and GL to all!

Stone Cold

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
So you are celebrating 2M community members, of which definitely more than half are from "the rest of the world" yet they have no way to be rewarded. Why celebrate at all with a giveaway limited to US only. Why not celebrate 800k US community members and then make a contest for them. I have been visiting this site on a daily basis for 10 years at least. Imagine how many hits that generated you, and I'm def not the only one. TPU has been making giveaways to allover Europe, and I seriously doubt they are doing anything illegal. And I'm not even frustrated about not being able to participate, I wouldn't win anything anyway, as I never do, but the way it is now, its extremely unfair to the majority of your visitors.

Don't blame Tom's Hardware. Blame your nation's politicians for having so many laws, regulations, and penalty taxes in place (like VAT) that it's not worth the trouble to go through all the red tape of bureaucracy in your nations. You elected your governments, now deal with them. If you don't like it, change your government leadership.

This... I don't even... words can't describe...

Stone Cold

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008

There is a link towards the top detailing EXACTLY why. You think this is a new issue or something? Here you go.... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2969283/tom-contests.html
Yeah you are right let me pick a government that wont create new jobs for me and my wife, but the one that will make online contests from the US much more easier. Good thinking. Thanks.

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
So Tom's...when are you going to find a way, for us registered Canadian users, to partake in these prize giveaways? Really? It's 2016 and there has to be a way that us loyal Canadians whom support you as much as I do(since 2011,I believe-The_Redman)to allow us to qualify. Come on. I realize that our country has about one-tenth the population base you have but there has to be some way around the restrictions...even if it means paying the duty or whatever. Thjat would be in good, loyal faith.

Usually when government meddles in the private sector business (including meddling in international sweepstakes contests), jobs are not increased but instead decreased. They are the ones who are in control of all aspects of your lives. If you don't like it, change it. Otherwise, don't blame TH for having their hands tied and not having the budget to spend tens of thousands on lawyer fees so everyone around the world can have access to one of their sweepstakes. That's the point, chief.

Maybe Tom's should set up a donation site so everyone outside of the US can donate a few dollars/Euros/GBPs to fund all their lawyer fees so their sweepstakes contests can be legal in other nations. Would you be willing to pay a few bones to pay for the legal cost of entering a sweepstakes in your nation? Yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.