Tom's Two Million Contest

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Another USA only contest. You should be ashame of yourselfs, Tom´s Hardware. I urge you to check how many readers enter from countries different than the States. This was the last drop for me.

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Working to address that as I type! We can't do anything about adblockers themselves, but we're switching out one of the buttons for an image version with a redirect. That should stay visible regardless of adblockers :)

Such arrogance. Typical. Go read AnadTech, Android Central, etc and check how a proper site does their thing. Maybe you learn something. Unfollowing also.

Aug 11, 2015
Guys, would you mind making it so that you don't actually have to be in the US to enter? I'm in Italy, but have friends in the US and would get my prizes (presuming I win at all) delivered there, but it won't even let me see the requirements for entering. I know I could use a VPN or ask one of my friends to do it, but they are not tech savy at all and a VPN is against my internet provider something or other. Any way you could make it a requirement to give a US adress, but not a US IP? Thanks a lot.

USAFRet

Titan
"USA only" by no means only a Tom's policy.

A random sampling from around the web::

MaximumPC
http://www.maximumpc.com/minecraft-pc-giveaway-2014/
"Sweepstakes open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia, except where prohibited or restricted by law. Contest ends October 21, 2014."

TechCrunch
http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/25/techcrunch-giveaway-win-2-tickets-to-the-rsa-conference/
"This contest is US only."

Engadget
http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/23/engadget-giveaway-win-an-olio-model-one-smartwatch/
"Contest is open to all residents of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and Canada (excluding Quebec), 18 or older! Sorry, we don't make this rule (we hate excluding anyone), so direct your anger at our lawyers and contest laws if you have to be mad."

Aug 11, 2015
Guys, please take this with a grain of salt, and I hereby state that the entirety of this post is merely the vaguest sense of an idea and I by now means take any responsability for it or anyone who tries it:
Have you ever thought about classing it as a gift, instead of a giveaway? Yeah, it's a sweepstakes, but surely you could whip some document up saying that it was a just a gathering of people, who happend to be gifted prizes? Gifts aren't subject to tax, so it would only be shipping fees, you might even be able to get around all the restrictions on prizes and the like.
Again, I by no means condone the actions I mentioned, nor do I suggest anyone tries them, it is merely a concept.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Not for nothing, but AnandTech and Android Central are both part of the Purch network.

Go look at AT's last giveaway, which was for a "Rise of the Tomb Raider'" game code. Also US only, per our company policy.

darcotech

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

Sorry about that! We'd love to include the rest of the world, but it's just not feasible for us right now.

We will be bringing back our Weekly Steam Giveaways/Discussions soon though, and those are open to everybody, international audience included! Not much of a consolation, I know, but it's something to look forward to :)

Hi, I am very sad not to be able to take a chance at your contest.I follow Tom's since very begining and freebies are always welcome :)

Now, what you might do is find the partners in many other countries that will give the prize to winners from that country.
And then organize the contest. I am sure there are many companies that would like to participate.
Just my 2 cents.

Good luck to those that can participate.

Sep 30, 2013
@coozie7 There's plenty of EU specific and country specific contests out there. Nobody gripes about all of those. Yet, every SINGLE US-only contest is filled with griping. Why are we the only ones expected to share?
Because English is the standard language on the Internet and US website is the majority (?) of the websites for the world .. Or so it feels =P

The American part of the Internet is to such a huge extent the a global one too :)

bwcbwc

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
You guys clearly need a new lawyer because he's telling you a bunch of bs about what is necessary to host international contests. You do not need international lawyers, your lawyer does need to create a legal agreement that works for multiple countries, which is possible, and download the necessary paper work from those countries for any international winners. I'm not saying it will be really easy but it is clear your lawyer does not want to do the work.
..Or it costs more than TH can afford to pay him/her...

My question is "Two Million what?", forum posts? daily page views? buyout price in euros?

Jim90

Distinguished
A bit of an own-goal with the title, there!

To offer "tens of thousands of dollars' worth in hardware", to US residents only, due to hitting the two-millionth online member - a number made up of a very significant non-US proportion is very surely...well...going to p#@# off very significant part of that non-US proportion of your members.
Perhaps the prize contributors could gain 'equally most excellent publicity' by offering proportionately to the non-US group?

RobtheRobot

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
Gutted not available in UK. Shared to my US friends, but as a long time follower, I feel that you're telling your UK fans to piss off, they don't count.

Evidently none of you have the ability to read posted links (both here and in the contest itself).
If they could, they would. You find a way to legally do a world wide giveaway, please, let us know.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
nice going toms. you celebrate your 2 millionth member but i'm pretty sure that 2 millionth member gets the "not available in your region" shenanigans. GURU3D can do international contests, hexus.net can do too. ANDROIDAUTHORITY can do it. #smh.

waynes

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Not Available in my region, and Tom no longer responds to emails (for nearly 20 years) how lame (And no 2 million dollars). Lol! :) Waiting for the two million comments on not being able to be in the competition from everybody outside the US and UK.

Seriously, Toms was so good 20 years ago. Now I get attacked by DNSunlocker every time I visit Toms, or whirlpool, on Chrome. So I seldom come except to check the news on another browser. But the news display has been terrible for nearly 15 years, rubbish special interest business news and only one page, or a few pages, instead of being able to catch up on weeks or months. The news would be the only reason to come back regularly. The articles have become bloated over many pages that are hard and slow to load. I'm sick of it. Time to avoid Toms.

Who was the other site they beat to become the biggest now?

deadfish

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks... from Asia.. no really... we are probably a great percentage of the users on this website.. and probably 70% of it is manufactured here. But we get denied entry into your contest!?! Oh and before you say.. but its made there so the prices should be ridiculously cheap.. THEY ARE NOT.. the prices are ridiculous here it is cheaper to buy hardware in the USA than it is here in Taiwan where most of it is made. So dammit, please let us into this contest. Before I fire up the VPN service.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
I think I might be able to sum up what all the non-US followers are feeling:

We've all read Tom's thread/post on the matter. All well and good. Problem is, it kind of reads "We know there's people who want to enter in different countries, but it's hard to make it so they can enter. So we just can't be bothered."

Obviously this isn't the intended understanding, but that's how it comes across.

Status
Not open for further replies.