tomshardware.com home page

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
This is not a forum comment, but rather a comment about the "new & improved" tomshardware.co.uk home page. I used to visit tomshardware.com until it went the way of pretty pictures and tons of unwated white space, but the .co.uk site soldiered on with the "just the facts ma'am" list of news article titles.

Alas, the co.uk site has now defaulted to the .com format, so you have lost a follower.

Bye. It's been fun.

Reactions: LB23
Looks like they got bought out again by an even bigger conglomerate.
Seen it happen a few times over the years. Been here since 96 and it has changed hands and formats many times, but the underlying forums for helping people remains the same so far.
The long time residents, experts ,and moderators always seem to trudge on and persist.
Sorry to see you go.

Toms was acquired by Future in 2018, so this redesign does not really have to do with that acquisition.
The .co.uk site suffers from extremely lower traffic overall, so Im personally not surprised to see it go.

deviltenchi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I've been visiting Tom's for years and watched the downward spiral of once a great site. If any staff read the forums please note the new design sucks in epic proportions! It looks like it was designed for kids using tablets. It's all pictures, little text, and too much empty space. I can say this is the final straw and you have lost another reader.
Dumming down a tech site the way you did is insulting to your readers. Everyone who thought this was a good decision should be fired and stoned with old mice balls.

Reactions: Soaptrail and LB23
Right there with you! I stopped posting in the Forums when it changed as I lost a LOT of my Likes, Answers, and Ranks. Do NOT like the new forums. Then saw the home page the other day. Yea I'm done. I may stop by once in a while but not everyday like i use to. I like the list of news links in order of release date. I can't tell what is what anymore on this new layout. Time to find a new site it looks like. Sad because I do get a lot of news and updates here.

Reactions: LB23

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Sorry, a bit off-topic, but I don't see the need to post a new thread for this.
I can't find the comment (or comment from forums) button on the articles after the redesign. Did they just... gone? Or am I missing something???

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Agreed, i have a widescreen monitor at work and ultra wide at home and now there is even more white space with this design. Talk about not knowing your demographic audience!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't find the comment (or comment from forums) button on the articles after the redesign. Did they just... gone? Or am I missing something???
I am asking about this as some do have comments, and some don't. I am asking why :)

I don't look on front page very often, its not part of the forums and I have no control over it. I didn't even know it had changed until I accidentally pressed Home button on weekend.

McGaz

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
I believe I have the answer to the comments problem (and it's the reason I came to this section of the forum).

tomshardware.com would show the comments, where the page is hooked up to the forum post on the news article.
tomshardware.co.uk would never show the comments. So, I used to visit the .com version instead where possible so that I could see the comments.

With the new website, uk users are forwarded to tomshardware.com/uk and we cannot see the comments from there!

UK users are automatically forward to the /UK address and so we will never be able to view the comments as it stands. This is a big problem as the comments are regularly worth reading as people share their ideas and links to more information.

Please ask the web devs to check the logic for whether to show the comments or not. I suspect that it's to hide them from foreign language versions of the site, but English and US-English shouldn't be considered two separate languages!