Question Too many lag spikes without anything close to max cpu, gpu usage.

Aug 16, 2024
The lag spikes occur on almost any game except easier to run competitive ones like league and valorant. Task manager would show less than 50% on both cpu and gpu and I would still get lag spikes (ram ~70%). I tried PBO "Disabled" and "Auto", but nothing really changed. CPU temps are always around 90C when gaming but I was told that was expected from my CPU.

Full Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x cooled with a Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim 2
RTX 3080 10GB
16 GB 3200 mhz
PSU RM850x

Hey there,

CPU temps are always around 90C when gaming but I was told that was expected from my CPU.
No, it's not supposed to run at 90c when gaming.

You should defo have lower temps. Prob about 65-80c max. 90C+ under heavy CPU load. Yes, the 5800x runs a little warmer. But not that much warmer.

Is your ram running in XMP? Use CPU-z and show us the mem/spd tabs. Also what bios are you running on the mobo?

Are all system drivers, including chipset up to date?

What windows power profile are you using?

Reactions: orkistos
The lag spikes occur on almost any game except easier to run competitive ones like league and valorant. Task manager would show less than 50% on both cpu and gpu and I would still get lag spikes (ram ~70%). I tried PBO "Disabled" and "Auto", but nothing really changed. CPU temps are always around 90C when gaming but I was told that was expected from my CPU.

Full Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x cooled with a Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim 2
RTX 3080 10GB
16 GB 3200 mhz
PSU RM850x

I also agree CPU cooler is kinda small for the 5800X, but what could be worse than a small cooler is a bad pc case (airflow wise).

Have you tried to run games without the side panels? If cpu temps are lower that way, and games stop lagging, then you may have to work on your case to make it better for airflow.

Sometimes do help to do a load default settings on BIOS, then download and install the newest version available ont he mobo page, and then do a new Load Default Settings. If that fix it, then you can try to enable XMP/DOCP later.

Aug 16, 2024
Thanks for all the replies!

Hey there,

No, it's not supposed to run at 90c when gaming.

You should defo have lower temps. Prob about 65-80c max. 90C+ under heavy CPU load. Yes, the 5800x runs a little warmer. But not that much warmer.

Is your ram running in XMP? Use CPU-z and show us the mem/spd tabs. Also what bios are you running on the mobo?

Are all system drivers, including chipset up to date?

What windows power profile are you using?
So, from what I can tell, I was indeed running XMP 2.0. After updating the chipset drivers, I saw maybe a 1-degree average improvement, and the lag spikes stopped. I am currently using the High Performance power plan.

memorytab.png
spd2.png
spd4.png

Pure Rock Slim is to tiny for a 5800x!

What's the brand and model of the RAM and what speed does it run?
RAM is generic G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8, which seems to be quite common from what I can tell.

I also agree CPU cooler is kinda small for the 5800X, but what could be worse than a small cooler is a bad pc case (airflow wise).

Have you tried to run games without the side panels? If cpu temps are lower that way, and games stop lagging, then you may have to work on your case to make it better for airflow.

Sometimes do help to do a load default settings on BIOS, then download and install the newest version available ont he mobo page, and then do a new Load Default Settings. If that fix it, then you can try to enable XMP/DOCP later.

After clearing the CMOS using the button on the back of the motherboard, I saw a significant improvement in temperatures, dropping from a constant 89-90°C to an average of 85°C, with occasional spikes to 90°C. I also tried gaming both with and without the front panel, and temperatures were better with the case closed, so airflow likely isn’t the issue. After re-enabling XMP, the temperatures stayed about the same or slightly higher.

I forgot to mention earlier that my motherboard is a B550M Steel Legend. Since I know now that 85°C isn’t acceptable for gaming either, what else should I look into to reduce temperatures?

I’ve attached a picture of the inside of the PC (please excuse the dust and mess). I’m not sure whether each fan is set to intake or exhaust, as I didn’t build this system myself.

IMG_20240816_211537.jpg

Reactions: RodroX

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I’ve attached a picture of the inside of the PC (please excuse the dust and mess). I’m not sure whether each fan is set to intake or exhaust, as I didn’t build this system myself.

[pic]
For reference:
open-grille.png

Please confirm which direction the Pure Rock's fan is facing. Because, if it's fighting with the rear and top fan and getting seconds from the gpu, that's why the cpu thermals are getting as high as they are.

It seems front fans are intake, and rear and top ones are for exhaust. Which is not bad as long as filters and/or grills are clean enough for air to move.

Whats not soo good, at least for me, is that the cooler fan is installed in the pull position (not sure if it is in the correct direction though). As a pull fan it should be pulling air from the heatsink and out to the back.
And I do not know why it is that way, cause it seems theres room in front of the cooler to put it there and away enough form the ram sticks. As a push fan it will push air through the heatsink to the back

Dust can be detrimental to a heatsink, When was the last time you cleanned the iternals of your system ?

Perhaps its in need of some service, maybe also a new and clean thermal paste application for the cpu cooler?

Aug 16, 2024
For reference:
open-grille.png

Please confirm which direction the Pure Rock's fan is facing. Because, if it's fighting with the rear and top fan and getting seconds from the gpu, that's why the cpu thermals are getting as high as they are.
Very helpful image! If I am not mistaken it is exactly as RodroX said, top and rear fans are exhaust same as cpu fan and the front ones are intake.

It seems front fans are intake, and rear and top ones are for exhaust. Which is not bad as long as filters and/or grills are clean enough for air to move.

Whats not soo good, at least for me, is that the cooler fan is installed in the pull position (not sure if it is in the correct direction though). As a pull fan it should be pulling air from the heatsink and out to the back.
And I do not know why it is that way, cause it seems theres room in front of the cooler to put it there and away enough form the ram sticks. As a push fan it will push air through the heatsink to the back

Dust can be detrimental to a heatsink, When was the last time you cleanned the iternals of your system ?

Perhaps its in need of some service, maybe also a new and clean thermal paste application for the cpu cooler?
I just checked for dust, and while not clean, it should be clean enough not to cause problems as I could see in between the heatsink from one side to other very clearly. Also the cpu was bought around a year and half ago so the thermal paste should be fine for now. I also changed the position of the cpu fan to the same side as the RAM to push to the back, as it did before, and the improvement was pretty big. Temps went from 83-85C to 78-82C with very rare spikes to 90C this time.

My questions now is, should I be satisfied with this result or keep looking for improvements?
Lastly, here is an updated pic with the cooler fan on the correct side and the funs not spinning so their direction is clearer.

IMG_20240816_223353.jpg

Aug 16, 2024
Update: After trying the changes out some more, it seems there are still whole chapters of games that my CPU stays at 90C even after all the improvements.

Catch 22: Remove the case fan in the roof that's positioned in front of the Pure Rock's fan. It's taking out some of the air coming in from the front. Although gpu exhaust won't be removed as fast as a result.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will try it and post an update tomorrow.