Question Too many Partitions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max the Mouse

BANNED
May 14, 2021
I’ve got a USB 8TB external drive that is split into 4 drives and on Disk Manager shows as 4 disks rather than 4 partitions on 1 disk. How can I get them to be just one 8TB drive instead of the 4 x 1.90TB drives it currently shows?

Thanks in advance

Max the Mouse

BANNED
May 14, 2021
he bought it off wish? I be surprised if it has 8tb at all.

How much was it?'

I can't get on as I don't want to logon to page
Not really the point is it? I mean the answer isn’t going to help,you to figure it out right? So unless you have any helpful information, thanks for your time so far...see ya 🐭

Colif

Win 11 Master
the answer might at least show if its possible.

they can trick controllers into reporting way more data on USB drives, to make a 32gb usb act like its a 2tb usb, so i can't see it being impossible to fake what a hdd reports it has.

we just trying to help.

Max the Mouse

BANNED
May 14, 2021
the answer might at least show if its possible.

they can trick controllers into reporting way more data on USB drives, to make a 32gb usb act like its a 2tb usb, so i can't see it being impossible to fake what a hdd reports it has.

we just trying to help.
The answer as to how much it cost is completely irrelevant! If I say $30 what does that suddenly tell you about it or if I said $50, $70 ,$90 or $1,000 when it could be of a value of $5 So I’m sorry if I don’t see that as helping ha ha

USAFRet

Titan
The answer as to how much it cost is completely irrelevant! If I say $30 what does that suddenly tell you about it or if I said $50, $70 ,$90 or $1,000 when it could be of a value of $5 So I’m sorry if I don’t see that as helping ha ha
An 8TB anything for $30 would further indicate "fake". At best, used.
Any 8TB external for under $100 is immediately suspect.

Yes, it matters.

Max the Mouse

BANNED
May 14, 2021
An 8TB anything for $30 would further indicate "fake". At best, used.
Any 8TB external for under $100 is immediately suspect.

Yes, it matters.
You’re just not getting it and sorry I’m here to get answer to my problem and not fix yours in your lack of understanding!! They could charge $1000 and it could still be the $5 one I mentioned only this time they got 3 times the amount of profit for the same pieces of garbage as they would have did selling it for $30 I know you’re having difficulty understanding this concept, but either try or again thanks for the help and Bye 👋

USAFRet

Titan
If they had priced it at $1000, or $500, or even $200....they'd get no sales.
A known quality 8TB external can be had for ~$140, from Seagate via Amazon. I have one.

So far, everything that I see points to 'fake':
2.5", both in the listing text and the size of the enclosure
8TB
Incorrect partition sizes
Wish.com

It could easily be a 500GB or 1TB in there, with firmware flashed to report as what you see.

Sorry...but thats what it looks like from out here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i know you don't want to know but how this guys pc looks is the same as yours, 4 x 2tb hdd

at the 9 minute mark, 4 hdd showing in file manager. But I have seen that, it ends up being 4 sd cards with the wrong info on them, they were 32gb sd cards in reality.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
MBR doesn't do 8Tb, it maxes out at 2Tb, so if that was a single drive with partitions it'd automatically have to be GPT.

A brand new drive should show up as non-partitioned single unit. Any partitions being user added.

A single drive with partitions is easily cleared in diskpart, a few commands and done as there will be only one drive listed, with multiple volumes, but multiple physical drives won't list the same way

From everything read so far, it seriously points to a fake where lesser cards have been substituted. Whether they are in fact 4x 2Gb drives slapped in a single enclosure or 4x smaller drives is in question.

You'd have to open the cover and take a look, visually verify the drives being single or multiple, get serial/model numbers etc.

DSzymborski

Titan
You’re just not getting it and sorry I’m here to get answer to my problem and not fix yours in your lack of understanding!! They could charge $1000 and it could still be the $5 one I mentioned only this time they got 3 times the amount of profit for the same pieces of garbage as they would have did selling it for $30 I know you’re having difficulty understanding this concept, but either try or again thanks for the help and Bye 👋

Most people who want people to take time out of their days and fix their problems for free have the humility to not be rude about the whole thing. Just because you don't think someone needs specific information doesn't mean that the information isn't needed.

The sellers's web page ...

https://www.wish.com/product/5ffc685d6045ca0052c78d34?mi=3

... is actually selling a USB 3.0 enclosure, not an external storage device.

Description:
Portable USB 3.0 Hard Disk Drive Case 6Gbps External Enclosure Box for 2.5 inch HDD SSD

Included:
Mobile hard disk box*1
Data line1
Purses1
Screw screwdriver*1
Sponge pad*1

The confusion arises because the available sizes are stipulated as 2TB, 4TB and 8TB. However, the clue that something is awry is that all capacity selections result in the same price, namely $30.

That said, I would very much like to know why the enclosure is reporting anything at all, and I would like to know how much it weighs. I would also like to ask the purchaser to open the case using the included "Screw screwdriver*1".

I agree that the seller is not correctly describing their goods, and clearly something is wrong with the "enclosure". I suspect that even if the guts of the enclosure were discarded, there would be no USB-SATA bridge PCB to match the product's description. If the Youtube video is any guide, we should expect to find a cheap 4-port USB hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.