Discussion Too much security?

Colif

Win 11 Master
This isn't about AV programs, I know running more than 2 of them at same time is asking for problems.

So I normally use Ublock Origin on all my browsers
I also have Ghostery on one of them - Chrome complains it breaks things so its not on there.

But Bitdefender Total Security released a new version today and part of it is an add on for browsers that blocks trackers

zqKJCPs.jpg

and I wonder, do I need both it and Ublock... how would I know which is better?

Ghostery shows 19 things I can stop on this page but it goes way further than blocking trackers and can leave sites difficult to use,
Ublock shows 16
Bitdefender only seeing 8

I expect there is a lot of duplicate filters there as well.

Bitdefender's Anti-tracker:

"The Anti-tracker extension blocks trackers that collect data and allows you to view and manage this information on each website you visit".

Ublock Origin on the other hand "is a pop-up and ad blocker".

As you can see, each has a different purpose, which explains why the statistics are different. So you can't say one is better than the other because you're not comparing like with like.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Colif

Win 11 Master
True, not fair comparison, many of the things Ublock does are also covered by other functions that Bitdefender already had. They both refuse to let me visit websites already.

many of the sites listed as trackers are in fact ad servers... so its a question of language used as well.

whoever made the standapp page needs to be shot., white text on a bright image, I can't read the header line.

May 29, 2019
Hi. So it turns out Ublock and Ghostery should be compared. Which one do you recommend guys? How about AdBlocker too?