Question Tool to ID files corrupted by unstable RAM?

Jul 16, 2019
So I wanted to eek out a bit more performance on my Ryzen 2600X platform (Asrock B450M Pro4 motherboard). To be fair, I didn't use RAM off the QVL, but did check with the manufacturer first and they said it should be compatible. I installed 32GB of Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz rated RAM (2x16 sticks). It wouldn't post beyond stock 2133Mhz even with XMP enabled and only running at 2400Mhz, etc.

Long story short, the BIOS was insanely out of date, so I updated it and most of the factory drivers. Problem solved-ish. I can't get it to 3200Mhz, but 2933Mhz seems just fine at XMP and I'll sit down and do some tweaking to see if I can push past that when I have time.

Now for the question, I got a lot of BSOD and crashes when I was initially troubleshooting and stress testing with high spec games. Since I've gotten it stable, I've had crashes in a number of programs that would have been running during the crashes and lost save files from a game or two that I was testing with.

Are there any tools to ID potentially corrupted files and fix them without having to complete uninstall/reinstall? Mostly because I don't know what all might have been screwed up and a complete clean install is not in my future anytime soon. If not, I'll wait for stuff to crash and reinstall piecemeal.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

What are your full system specs including PSU make and model?

Is the Windows set to drop any minidumps after the BSODs? Do you have any of the dumps? If you have any upload them to Google Drive or Dropbox, make sharing settings public for the files and post links here. We can have a look and see if can find out the cause.

As for the RAM 2933 is basically the 3000Mhz on some boards. The difference between 2133 and 3200 is quite large but 3000 and 3200Mhz you wouldn't really feel any change and the affect on real world day to day use would be marginal.

Jul 16, 2019
I'm only semi-versed in dealing with overclocking issues and such, so no I did not enable Windows 10 to save minidumps after a BSOD, unless it would have automatically been setup. How would I check for that?

My build is below with the exception that PCPartPicker doesn't even have a reference for the RAM, which is linked to Amazon below.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/neilornot/saved/#view=7LVf99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E1XR5X6/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was pushing a pretty hefty CPU and RAM load last night with 360 degree Robo Recall on the Oculus Rift. It crashed my previous attempts within minutes. It went at least an hour with no hiccups.

I've only noticed residual problems cropping up now with programs that were running when it BSOD-ed. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the ones most at risk that I need to be stable (recording and streaming stuff).

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I would turn back settings to default to disable all OCs including RAM and see if issues persist. You can reset BIOS or clear CMOS. Some boards do weird volatages when XMP is actiavted and some of them even OC the CPU. That can lead to instabilities.

This here is how you can enable Windows 10 to drop minidumps in case of BSODs.

Also that PSU of yours a CX 600 with green label/sticker is not a good quality unit and probably not doing the system favors really.

Jul 16, 2019
Yeah, I was worried you'd say that on the PSU. I don't want to take more of your time but if you have suggestions for a not crazy expensive replacement, let me know. I figure I should go to 800W since I cheaped out on the last one.

So far so good on stability, I'll make sure I log any minidumps in the future.

I appreciate all your help!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
No problem, glad to help. You don't need a 800W PSU because your current one is not good. Moreover, apart from adequate wattage and a little head room what matters more is the quality of the PSU design and build.

There are lots of 1KW+ (+1000W) PSUs out there made by mediocre OEMs to fill "budget" slots in the market and they are absolute junk. The PSU is the most important part of any PC because the performance and longevity of every other component depends on it.

For that system a solid 550W would be enough too but if you want a good 650W (good to have some head room and for possible future graphics card upgrades ans such) I'd suggest a 650W from Seasonic Focus, EVGA G2 or G3 seriers and Corsair RM, RMx or RMi series; not sure about availability or prices where you are.

Jul 11, 2019
I have the same ram but 2x8 and i had the same problem on my MSI b450m pro m-2.
I don't know if this is a good fix, but it worked. Go into your bios, disable XMP. You will have to overclock them manually. I've found tested timing and frequencies for your sticks. Set the frequency to 3200 MHz, Voltage to 1.35 and timings 16-18-18-36. I can't really guide you how to do all of those things because i don't know how your BIOS looks like