Question Tooltips and right-click menus not loading properly

Mar 10, 2019
Whenever I mouse over anything in windows explorer the tooltips fail to load completely leaving a partially transparent box. Right-click menus do the same, but the buttons seem to still be there if I know where to click. Also explorer is super slow i.e. when I try to change a file name it freezes after the first couple of letters and then finishes my keystrokes after several seconds, even clicking a window to move it around takes a second or two to catch up. This issue seems limited to windows only as my games, browser, and other programs seem to function normally. The only exception is utorrent which only seems to have an issue when I mouse over an option with a drop down menu (bandwidth allocation, remove torrent, etc..), at which point the program does not open the drop down menu and stops responding instead. According to the hardware monitor built in to task manager, there is nothing running that is using any significant amount of CPU or memory when this happens. Finally I have not made any changes to my system within the last several weeks and this issue just started yesterday. Windows 10 is set to auto update by default I believe. Any advice on fixing this would be super awesome as it makes doing anything other than gaming or surfing the net next to impossible! Thanks in advance.

System Specs:
Core i7-4790k
EVGA 1070 ti hybrid
EVGA z87 FTW
32gb ddr3 @2400mhz
Windows 10 64 bit (not sure what version as I am at work currently.)

Last edited:
Seems like software issue. Also could be some windows update or driver update causing this. Also possible malware infection.
How long ago did this start happening?
Did you install any software at that time?

If issue is somewhat recent, you can try System restore to time, before the issue appeared.
Or you can try uninstalling recently installed software manually.
Or, if nothing else helps, you can try installing fresh windows.

Mar 10, 2019
In talking to others IRL and through some further investigation I believe that you are correct that this is a software issue. It is always nice when several seperate sources concur. Thank you for the reply!

TRENDING THREADS