Top 7 Reasons for PC Gamers to Get Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't plan to go all crazy for Win 7. I'll get the 64-bit version (hey, college CS dept. gave me 32-bit vista for free, stingy for not giving us 64-bit ^_^) but I'm not going to go and replace all my Vista installs with win 7, nor would I recommend it.

At it's core, win 7 is the same as vista. The UI will be different, and while I think it's fine it is yet to be seen if the average user will actually care :D.

G

"Feel free to move to Windows 7 because whatever you're playing now should work fabulously in Windows 7."
Then why AION doesnt work ?

tomasf

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
to me it is true, this is the best os i´ve ever used. even my pc is not top tier, it can play almos every new game with full detail, even better than in xp.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Yeah, I've never understood the big emphasis on Search functions. I mean, is there a large demographic that saves there files to a random location or something? Perhaps they put everything on the C:\Root and then can't find it?

Somehow, I still think clicking an icon is faster than clicking the search bar and then typing the name of the program I want to run.

I use search maybe once a year, and that's only when a patch unpacks files and doesn't tell me where they went.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Sure Windows 7 is superior to Vista but I don't think most will have any real reason to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

As for game performance I really would like to see you back that up with benchmarks. I'm not doubting it I just want to see how much difference it really is. The test should include XP,Vista, and Win7.

G

The author of this "news" story, Marcus Yam, seems like a sellout to me....

I'd prefer a list of features and not regurgitated marketing material that I can find on Microsoft's website. Thanks.

The whole article is a copy of MS website...see the link and the statement saying that.

Hardly a sellout when the only original material is the first para which explains where the info comes from.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Win 7 has been nice to me so far, the overall quality is more crisp when playing games and all the games i play load up much quicker.

I didn't even know about the search function, but if that's you're thing, then bonus.

As for DX11, we'll have to wait for that...

cimtaurus

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Sure Windows 7 is superior to Vista but I don't think most will have any real reason to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. As for game performance I really would like to see you back that up with benchmarks. I'm not doubting it I just want to see how much difference it really is. The test should include XP,Vista, and Win7.[/citation]
I used to feel the same way, but since I have been running W7 for a couple of months now I noticed something.
The search is more integral and less of an add on. It is just easy to click start, type in what i want then click the icon to run it. I know it sounds like more work but in action it is very smooth and intuitive.

cimtaurus

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
BAH, I hate the way the quote sits in the wrong place, I always misquote. The above was in regard to using the search feature only once a year.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
No NVIDIA chip supports DirectX 11 am I correct?

I still have yet to try windows 7 out, I'm hoping it is awesome as people say it is. I barely use Vista and I'm still actually getting used to the Vista interface because I primarily use XP. Vista does work fine on my computers though. Just had to replace the HDD in my new dell laptop to get it to be compatable with vista updates... which was kinda dumb. Why ship a system with vista home if it isn't fully compatable with updates, had to swap out to a 7200rpm drive for it to work right. (and yeah I did fresh reinstall vista _5_ times on that 5200rpm drive, has no bad sectors too)

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Now will we have to wait for SP1 before Windows 7 is really useful this time? It seems to be a trend with Microsoft...

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Just cause evenbalance doesn't officially support doesn't mean it don't work anyways. All my games that require punkbuster work without a hassle. Just had to download the new setup and I was good to go.

darkxuy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
[citation][nom]crom[/nom]Now will we have to wait for SP1 before Windows 7 is really useful this time? It seems to be a trend with Microsoft...[/citation]

Nope, Microsoft finally get it, it comes with SP2 already installed!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
"7 - Classics
Here's a bonus reason for you: Windows 7 is going to bring back Internet Backgammon, Internet Spades, and Internet Checkers because you can't spend all your time hardcore."

That would be enough reason for my mother to get it...

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]Items 3, 5, 6 and 7 are not really selling features if you ask me. Yet another advertisement in disguise.Thanks Tom's.[/citation]

Pshhh...I just got an i7 so I COULD play internet checkers......

DiamondT

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Windows 7 64 flat out rocks in Crysis and every other game I have installed since 7 bet and now on RC. I have not booted into XP in months...
Some of these commentators have no clue....

G

Wait is this list about win7 or vista? Except for the internet checkers and touchscreen bits (wow what selling points)...

DiamondT

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Windows 7 64 flat out rocks in Crysis and every other game I have installed since 7 bet and now on RC. I have not booted into XP in months...
Some of these commentators have no clue....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts