Top 7 Reasons for PC Gamers to Get Windows 7

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Admiral Anime.... Aion runs fine, i bet you are using nvidia graphics, update your drivers....fixed, had the same issues myself... see you on the 31st for beta day 5

well i was dual booting this machine, but my games do run notably faster...and crysis.... well it runs smoother than ever without any hiccups at all

gpj

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Windows 7 boots up and shuts down faster then any previous Windows OS.That's pretty huge if you ask me - why did they not mention that?[/citation]

Because it has nothing to do with games. Did you read the article?

G

This is just an advertisement, why run it as some type of 'article'? Something very fishy is going on this with site, would any of the authors or writers actually care to comment? its beyond ridiculous at this point.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
7 - Classics
Here's a bonus reason for you: Windows 7 is going to bring back Internet Backgammon, Internet Spades, and Internet Checkers because you can't spend all your time hardcore.

WOO HOOO they should also bring back Ski Free! lol

[citation]WOO HOOO they should also bring back Ski Free! lol [/citation]
http://ski.ihoc.net/

All in all, most of those features are already in Vista, so not much of an upgrade reason until my next hardware upgrade.

csturtle

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation]"I would like to know how considering PunkBuster has refused to offer support for Windows 7 until it goes retail. Every game I've got that I play online requires this to run, and as far as I can tell, Even Balance has yet to comment on anything in public since last year.[/citation]

yes it is not officially supported but all games with punkbuster i have tried still work atleast 90% of the time, id say that is pretty good for not even being officially supported yet, there was a big issue with windows permissions early on but MS put out an update for the RC that mostly fixed it

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
They should work on something similar to dosbox with better compatibility features/tweaks. Classic sound cards and full Glide emulation for classic/old games!!! Now that what I'd call good compatibility and performance :) One can dream.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
This is really a commercial approach to gamers, nothing more.
Microsoft wants to assure gamers will buy Windows 7 even at those expensive prices presented.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jimishtar[/nom]win 7 is more optimized for multi-core systems. that's the reason why most games will play better on win 7 than on XP.[/citation]

And the GDI infrastructure is now muti-threadet too.
The graphic card is made a true multi-threaded device, finally.

For Crysis we also need some drivers that take advantage of the new Win7 infrastructure.

4 - Easy updates
The new Games Explorer will notify you whenever updates are available for your games so you don't have to go searching for them yourself or have to launch the game to see if there's an update waiting.

Only for games? Damn, hoped for programs too.
Don't mean the integration of a handful MS products into Windows Update.
But then competitors for Office or other MS applications
(e.g. OpenOffice.org) could use that also.

@megamanx00
That's a very bad assumption to make,
the core, kernel has been heavily revised (rewritten anyway) and is quite different then but backwards compatible with vista!
Just that you see the focus on graphics doesn't mean there hasn't been done anything under the hood.
The true multi threading and multi tasking of graphic cards under win7 is going to make a huge different. For games and other applications where the graphic card is put in use. This are some of the optimizations where the difference comes from.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]I wonder if it will play the old classics DOS games with complete old hardware support/emulation? That would be really awesome :)[/citation]

That's supposed to be compatibility mode, the problem is, it never seems to work for a lot of people.

There is an app called setaffinity that can patch games that crash on multicore.

I would not blame Multi-core as even winquake/glquake works fine with it....Sloppy programming is the issue there.

i have one imporatant question
When vista came out, i went to a costumers house because he had a hard time installing office 2000 (would work fine on windows xp)

When i pop the cd in a window open that said: this software is incompatible with windows vista.

Can you imagine my costumer's reaction when i told him, you will have to invest 200-300 $ on office 2003 or 2007 because 2000 is incompatible.....

Will office 2000 work on Windows 7???

Damn MS....

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]I think they are focusing mostly on XP users. People who upgraded to Vista already probably do not need as much convincing to get Win 7.[/citation]
That's because there are a lot of people, not unlike myself, that refuse to use windows Shi$ta. Why pay to buy it and decrease gaming performance when XP works just fine and dx 10 hasn't developed enough to care about it?

[citation][nom]cekasone[/nom]I am happy with my Vista Ultimate 64bit. "Don't fix it if it isn't broken"[/citation]
That's the problem, it is broken. It's not what it's supposed to be. It's bloated and COULD run a lot faster on more lightweight systems, hence windows 7. Game performance in vista is generally lower than in XP because of the resources it (Vista) consumes.

[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Windows 7 boots up and shuts down faster then any previous Windows OS.That's pretty huge if you ask me - why did they not mention that?[/citation]

It is a GREAT feature, but the competition is working on a 5 second boot (linux). And they can't guarantee boot times even vaguely across such a wide variety of hardware. Not to mention bloatware from mfg's.

[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Sure Windows 7 is superior to Vista but I don't think most will have any real reason to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7...[/citation]
Statement edited to point out reason to upgrade. :p

In XP mode it will(But you know, ultimate cost some extra $$$), but the best option is to just get open office. Compatible with MS Office 2000 files and FREE

That's because there are a lot of people, not unlike myself, that refuse to use windows Shi$ta. Why pay to buy it and decrease gaming performance when XP works just fine and dx 10 hasn't developed enough to care about it?
Maybe you should not have tried to install vista on an old system with a single core and 1gig of memory then? Did you forget that ALL games ran MUCH slower on XP then 98? Hardware has MORE then caught up, Most run so close on XP and Vista now that its not much of a speed issue. Did you forget about superfetch actually making many games load faster since the game is already in memory?
That's the problem, it is broken. It's not what it's supposed to be. It's bloated and COULD run a lot faster on more lightweight systems, hence windows 7. Game performance in vista is generally lower than in XP because of the resources it (Vista) consumes.
Funny since sitting idle Vista runs at about 1% cpu, much like XP does. Are you talking memory? With ram as cheap as it is, all new systems should have more then enough. I am not going to say Win7 is not more optimized? no, but I will get it with my next hardware upgrade, just like I got vista for my last and XP MCE before.
Statement edited to point out reason to upgrade. :p
I have not noticed any actual speed difference with Win7 vs Vista. Vista is actually a bit faster. That said win 7 was on a single drive VS Vista on 3 x 640 gig WD blacks in (r)aid0, so it may be that.

It is important to remember with EVERY new release of windows customers whine(XP was a huge resource whore), This is nothing new and in this case bad drives would have to have been the worst offender(Sorry Nvidia, but you where fairly bad for that). I will most likely wait for SP1 on W7 for my next upgrade any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS