Question Top front panel audio jack stopped working

somedude601

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
So today my headphone wire ended up getting caught INSIDE the wheel of my chair (still no idea how it happened, but long story short this resulted in the headphones being suddenly and quickly ripped out of the jack. Since then, the recognition on the headphones being plugged in is... extremely unreliable. If I tilt the cord at just the right angle, it will recognize it, but this is not feasible to do for more than a few seconds.
I have tried restarting the computer twice, reinstalling audio drivers, and have finally resorted to plugging the headphones into the speaker jack on the rear of the case.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
So today my headphone wire ended up getting caught INSIDE the wheel of my chair (still no idea how it happened, but long story short this resulted in the headphones being suddenly and quickly ripped out of the jack. Since then, the recognition on the headphones being plugged in is... extremely unreliable. If I tilt the cord at just the right angle, it will recognize it, but this is not feasible to do for more than a few seconds.
I have tried restarting the computer twice, reinstalling audio drivers, and have finally resorted to plugging the headphones into the speaker jack on the rear of the case.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Most likely damaged the cable on your headphones. had this happen to me before and it sucks. You might need to replace the headset with something else or buy a new pair.

If you need to tilt/bend cord near to the jack to get contact, then it's quite possible that contact got loose in the jack** -that's usually the case if jack is ripped out by pulling the cord. Replacing the jack shouldn't be a problem (if you have soldering tool) -repairing existing jack (to re-solder wires) is in most cases impossible.

If you can't really tell where the damage is, then you should replace cord as well. Obviously, you need to take headphone apart. You probably won't find proper cord in the store around the corner, though. If your headset is valuable to you, then you just buy some cheap headset, cut off the cord and replace it on your headset -soldering tool is needed again, of course.

** -in this case it's also possible some contact inside audio socket is damaged (bent). You should try with another headset first.

Last edited:

somedude601

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Most likely damaged the cable on your headphones. had this happen to me before and it sucks. You might need to replace the headset with something else or buy a new pair.
Here's the thing though. It's not the headphones. I tried it with a different pair and it's still having the same issue. Plugging the pair of headphones into the speaker jack on the rear of the case works fine. So it's the jack itself that's the issue I think.