Toshiba Announces 20MP Sensor For 2013 DSCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Frame Rate is kind of slow..

That's not a very revolutionary leap either.. It's more evolutionary.

We should have 50 MP images by now... (Not that we can actually see images that good)

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
what they should be improving is low light response, higher dynamic range, low noise above 400 ISO and processing algorithms that don't turn images into water color paintings. All this uber Mpxl stuff is useless if the sensors just get smashed closer and closer together causing increased crossover as the ISO increases.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]wolley74[/nom]i just hope they bring back the viewfinder, hate point and shoot with a passion[/citation]

It's there... called DSLR camera :)

As for 50MP to much... depends. I do a lot of aerial Photography and more is definitely better !

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]Frame Rate is kind of slow..That's not a very revolutionary leap either.. It's more evolutionary.We should have 50 MP images by now... (Not that we can actually see images that good)[/citation]

ok, frame rate... even higher end slr cameras only get 6-10 frames at max resolution.
granted its probably not as good as just taking the picture in terms of sharpness, but its progress.

now the next thing is about 50mp... yea... no...
what i want is a full resolution 8mp camera for under 500$, as in it takes a 8mp picture, and i need to adjust nothing to get the best quality. i cant explain it, but look at the cellphone that took a 40 something mp picture, at full size, it looked bad, but shrink it to 8mp, and you are looking at a camera better than almost all point and shoots

i'm more interested in how good of a picture this takes, and how cheap it will be to implement, rather than complaining about the mp size, because really, i don't need more than 8-12mp unless i'm making a poster.

[citation][nom]wolley74[/nom]i just hope they bring back the viewfinder, hate point and shoot with a passion[/citation]

um... yea... get a slr camera than...the view finder was only good because at the time you couldn't see the picture you were taking.

i believe mid range slr camreas still have viewfinders, i know low end ones moved over to an lcd screen, and high end ones are meant to be hooked up to a laptop and driven that way.

Image sensor size over overall MP any day.

Low light performance is improved with backside illumination.

I almost always use the view finder(D90), but some times i will swap to live view(just to frame it up because the D90 focus is VERY slow[thank for for manual focus] on live view, but near instant the rest of the time.) if I can not get to the view finder.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
For point and shoots this is great and will certainly be good upgrade. Getting into the higher end DSLR prosumer range 20mb are there however not sure if CMOS sensor tho. But like many of you have mentioned increase Megapixel is kwl, improvement is good but not forgetting that a picture is more than just Megapixels. How the sensor performs in low light, color range etc. Improving the low light performance, lower noise above ISO 400 (TY Warezme!) would be the biggest improvement on most needed!

kentucky7887

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]what they should be improving is low light response, higher dynamic range, low noise above 400 ISO and processing algorithms that don't turn images into water color paintings. All this uber Mpxl stuff is useless if the sensors just get smashed closer and closer together causing increased crossover as the ISO increases.[/citation]

Yeah but 20MP sounds better in the marketing department.

Status
Not open for further replies.