Question Toshiba External Drive not working

Feb 11, 2021
Hello Guys,

I have the "Toshiba Canvio Basics 2 TB" Harddrive on a Windows 10 - 64 Bit PC.

It has been working for about half an year.

But now it shows no light when i plug it in and i cant find it under "drives" or in the "drive manager". The drive is still spinning when connected.

It has a micro usb 3.0 Port and no seperate power supply. Its one of this "double port"

Strangely the hdd shows light if i use my micro usb cellphone cable (USB 2.0) in a specific usb slot on my pc, but only in this slot. The cable only uses 1 of the 2 parts of the usb 3.0 slot of the hdd.

But If i connect my hdd this way, i get a "connection tone" over and over again and the drive starts and stops again and again but isnt detected properly.

I also tried another USB 3.0 cable, and on another pc, but the hdd light wont show and the hdd isnt detected.

If the drive is dead and you did not do a backup of your important files I guess the only option you have now is to send the drive to a data retrieval center and pay a few hundred dollars to maybe get your data back.

A drive can die at any moment so important files should and need to be backed up on at least 2 different storage media for this exact reason.

Feb 11, 2021
If the drive is dead and you did not do a backup of your important files I guess the only option you have now is to send the drive to a data retrieval center and pay a few hundred dollars to maybe get your data back.

A drive can die at any moment so important files should and need to be backed up on at least 2 different storage media for this exact reason.

Im not sure if its really dead, at least it ist spinning.

I would like to try to connect it directly into the pc via SATA. The problem is, my drive only have a usb 3.0 Port, and no Sata Conncetor.

Maybe there is an cable to convert usb 3.0 to Sata?

img

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Hello Guys,

I have the "Toshiba Canvio Basics 2 TB" Harddrive on a Windows 10 - 64 Bit PC.

It has been working for about half an year.

But now it shows no light when i plug it in and i cant find it under "drives" or in the "drive manager". The drive is still spinning when connected.

It has a micro usb 3.0 Port and no seperate power supply. Its one of this "double port"

Strangely the hdd shows light if i use my micro usb cellphone cable (USB 2.0) in a specific usb slot on my pc, but only in this slot. The cable only uses 1 of the 2 parts of the usb 3.0 slot of the hdd.

But If i connect my hdd this way, i get a "connection tone" over and over again and the drive starts and stops again and again but isnt detected properly.

I also tried another USB 3.0 cable, and on another pc, but the hdd light wont show and the hdd isnt detected.

You can try connect the drive with USB2.0 cable to USB3.0 port (or to external powered USB HUB), because the USB2.0 ports doesn't provide enough current for feeding the USB3.0 devices (USB2.0: 500 mA, USB3.0: 900 mA). USB3.0 devices can operate in USB2.0 mode: if you're a lucky guy, you can save your data from the drive. You can try multiple USB2.0 cables because not every cable can throughput as high currents as this device needed. Look for an "Y" power cable with two USB2.0 endings on the computer side and one on the drive's end.

If none works of the mentioned above, you have to take the drive to a reputable data recovery company (computer shops doesn't have proper tools for failures like this).

Feb 11, 2021
You can try connect the drive with USB2.0 cable to USB3.0 port (or to external powered USB HUB), because the USB2.0 ports doesn't provide enough current for feeding the USB3.0 devices (USB2.0: 500 mA, USB3.0: 900 mA). USB3.0 devices can operate in USB2.0 mode: if you're a lucky guy, you can save your data from the drive. You can try multiple USB2.0 cables because not every cable can throughput as high currents as this device needed. Look for an "Y" power cable with two USB2.0 endings on the computer side and one on the drive's end.

If none works of the mentioned above, you have to take the drive to a reputable data recovery company (computer shops doesn't have proper tools for failures like this).

Well it could indeed be a problem with the usb connection/power supply. I have 3 slots and my drive worked at one moment at one of this slots. I had not the time to safe the data an tought, maybe the problem is solved now. Unfortunately it isnt working on this slot anymore.

It is a usb 3.0 Cable, maybe i should try it with a 2.0 cable? Did you mean to try it with a 2.0 cable on an extern usb port, or connect directly somewhere on the mainboard?

img

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
Well it could indeed be a problem with the usb connection/power supply. I have 3 slots and my drive worked at one moment at one of this slots. I had not the time to safe the data an tought, maybe the problem is solved now. Unfortunately it isnt working on this slot anymore.

It is a usb 3.0 Cable, maybe i should try it with a 2.0 cable? Did you mean to try it with a 2.0 cable on an extern usb port, or connect directly somewhere on the mainboard?

I'm assuming your drive's USB3.0 connector failing on it's "extended" side (the extra pins for 3.0 speed). That's why I mentioned to do that with USB2.0 cable, because in that setup the badly contacted 3.0 pins and data lines not used. The best scenario is that if you can connect it directly to the motherboard's USB3.0 port (not to an extended port) with USB2.0 cable, or to an external hub with it's own power supply.