Toshiba Finally Intros 4 TB and 5 TB Consumer-Grade Desktop HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer the previous posters, these are the old Hitachi drives.

Previously, Toshiba only made 2.5" drives. When WD bought Hitachi, that would've left the world with 2 manufacturers of 3.5" drives (WD and Seagate), and 3 manufacturers of 2.5" drives (plus Toshiba). One of the countries (I don't recall if it was China or the U.S.) thought 2 was too few, so they stipulated that Hitachi must sell its 3.5" drive business to Toshiba before they'd approve the merger. Which WD did.

So the 3.5" drives Toshiba sells are the old 3.5" Hitachi drives, which themselves are the old IBM drives.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

The drives can't be that old, at least the 5TB Toshiba drive should be 6 months or newer?

Previously, Toshiba only made 2.5" drives. When WD bought Hitachi, that would've left the world with 2 manufacturers of 3.5" drives (WD and Seagate), and 3 manufacturers of 2.5" drives (plus Toshiba). One of the countries (I don't recall if it was China or the U.S.) thought 2 was too few, so they stipulated that Hitachi must sell its 3.5" drive business to Toshiba before they'd approve the merger. Which WD did.

So the 3.5" drives Toshiba sells are the old 3.5" Hitachi drives, which themselves are the old IBM drives.
well, since hitachi were the top rated hdd for reliability going back a few years, that is a good thing....
http://www.techspot.com/news/55399-backblaze-data-shows-hitachi-and-seagate-as-most-and-least-reliable-hard-drives-respectively.html

7K320

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
Toshiba's 3.5" HDD division comes from the old Hitachi (and in turn, IBM) division, but these drives are new. Many of the older ones were developed while it was still Hitachi's division.

I'm one of the people who uses Toshiba in preference to WD/Seagate for desktop drives. Mainly due to reliability - haven't had a Toshiba/Hitachi drive fail, but have had a WD drive fail - but the 7200 RPM 2 TB ones have pretty good performance for their price, too.

oyoy

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Welcome aboard Toshiba, joining to the ridiculously expensive 4-5 Tb drives market price. 20 years and always lag behind. Why? Why start with 400$ 5 Tb? What's the big news here? I really need 4x5 Tb asap but "these prices are making me thirsty". That's a damn shame, a damn shame I tell you.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Who actually uses these drives over Seagate and WD?
90% of OEM's, unfortunately.
Seriously, my new nearly 1K Toshiba laptop had in it a Toshiba hard drive. I immediately had it taken out at Best Buy and had put in another, same capacity, WD laptop drive that I had ordered before ordering the Toshiba computer.
I just do not trust Toshiba hard drives, the ONLY drives I have ever had fail on me (that I did not just get rid of because they were 10 years old and past MTBF due to hours used) were Toshiba's.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Damned... there are only 3 manufacturers of laptop and desktop hard drives today? Color me surprised, I thought there were more.... or are those others I am thinking of the Chinese "We take your money and our products break in 2 years!" manufacturers?

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
HGST is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Western Digital, but with independent Operations. Large capacity desktop drives branded as Toshiba are made in HGST factories.
I have a 3TB Desktop Drive branded Toshiba, made by HGST, and i got it for $110. works great for the best price:capacity on the market. i have plenty of SATA ports so unless i can get a 6TB drive for under $250 for ANYONE these aren't worth it compared to their slightly older offerings that have been on the market longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.