toshiba, laptop won't acknowledge C:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi all, i was hoping somone could help!

A freind of mine gave me a toshiba satellite pro 500mhz . It has a smashed
screen and a broken 5 gig hard drive,,,,so I thought Ah EBAY!
So I bought a new 20 gig hard drive, and tried to install XP and Win 98,

(i have laptop linked up to my pc monitor)

Now it recognizesthe drive in the BIOS, and after partitioning it (100%)
i tried to format it but laptop will not recognize C: But when i take the
hard drive out and connect it to my PC with an IDE adapter Its Fine,, I can
install any operating system on it,!! and again , when I put it back in the
laptop ( with O/S on it) I still have no C: prompt and it will not read the
drive. , but it is there in the bios ??.. I ran a scandisk on it in the PC
,( no erros or bad sectors)

Ive never come across this before and was wondering if any of you guys had
any ideas!!

FDISK acknowledges the drive in the laptop, Im Baffled!!!

Thanks

Alan (Liverpool)

alan n pip <pip@arena10.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> FDISK acknowledges the drive in the laptop, Im Baffled!!!

FDISK, remove ALL partitions and FORMAT the HD while it's in the laptop,
nowhere else.

This is common with laptop HDs that have come out of differing systems.

--
Regards,

James

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

It's probably got an improper master/slave/cable select configuration.

alan n pip wrote:

> Hi all, i was hoping somone could help!
>
> A freind of mine gave me a toshiba satellite pro 500mhz . It has a smashed
> screen and a broken 5 gig hard drive,,,,so I thought Ah EBAY!
> So I bought a new 20 gig hard drive, and tried to install XP and Win 98,
>
> (i have laptop linked up to my pc monitor)
>
> Now it recognizesthe drive in the BIOS, and after partitioning it (100%)
> i tried to format it but laptop will not recognize C: But when i take the
> hard drive out and connect it to my PC with an IDE adapter Its Fine,, I can
> install any operating system on it,!! and again , when I put it back in the
> laptop ( with O/S on it) I still have no C: prompt and it will not read the
> drive. , but it is there in the bios ??.. I ran a scandisk on it in the PC
> ,( no erros or bad sectors)
>
> Ive never come across this before and was wondering if any of you guys had
> any ideas!!
>
> FDISK acknowledges the drive in the laptop, Im Baffled!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan (Liverpool)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I cant format because I cant get a c: prompt , even after ive created my
100% (1)partition ..
this is whats baffled me,, ive done it a hundred times before!

Alan

remove ALL partitions and FORMAT the HD while it's in the laptop,
> nowhere else.
>
> This is common with laptop HDs that have come out of differing systems.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> James
>
> Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanx for reply,, So do you know how I check that with a laptop,, Because
there is no master slave select jumpers on L/top drives.. , Im stumped!!!

Thanks
Alan
> It's probably got an improper master/slave/cable select configuration.
>

> alan n pip wrote:
>
> > Hi all, i was hoping somone could help!
> >
> > A freind of mine gave me a toshiba satellite pro 500mhz . It has a
smashed
> > screen and a broken 5 gig hard drive,,,,so I thought Ah EBAY!
> > So I bought a new 20 gig hard drive, and tried to install XP and Win
98,

> > (i have laptop linked up to my pc monitor)
> >
> > Now it recognizesthe drive in the BIOS, and after partitioning it
(100%)
> > i tried to format it but laptop will not recognize C: But when i take
the
> > hard drive out and connect it to my PC with an IDE adapter Its Fine,, I
can
> > install any operating system on it,!! and again , when I put it back in
the
> > laptop ( with O/S on it) I still have no C: prompt and it will not read
the
> > drive. , but it is there in the bios ??.. I ran a scandisk on it in
the PC
> > ,( no erros or bad sectors)
> >
> > Ive never come across this before and was wondering if any of you guys
had
> > any ideas!!
> >
> > FDISK acknowledges the drive in the laptop, Im Baffled!!!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Alan (Liverpool)

Actually there is a jumper on notebook hdds.. So YOU are NOT stupid!
(four pins offset the connector group) ;)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Na!!! Still not working!!

Alan

> Na!!! Still not working!!

The BIOS may not support the size of hard-disk you're trying to install?
Some things may not solve this. However, if you can boot up and partition it
then you should be able to do the normal installation...confoozing

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I know, Weird hey,, and guess what, I just put a 40 gig in it and it works
(strange) I think I either have a faulty bios, or Just that particular HD
didn't like the bios . viser/verser!!

Ps. Does anyone want to buy a 20 gig hd.... lol,,,,,,,!