Question Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5106 won't turn on, ON/OFF light doesn't turn on either

tronjo

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
Hello folks, hoping to get more insight on what actually failed on my laptop. The laptop is responsive to the charger (the Battery light turns on when connected) and the power button seems to be functioning since the Wireless indicator light turns on upon pressing it. However, the ON/OFF light never turns on. I can hear when I press the power button the laptop makes a slight, subtle noise but then doesn't start up. Tried hard resetting it, and turning it on w/o battery. Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

Lutfij

Titan
Tried hard resetting it
Can you elaborate on this?

Usually you're advised to discharge the laptop by disconnecting from the wall, then remove the battery for the laptop. Remove the sticks of ram and then press and hold down the power button for 30secs. You then take an eraser to the gold contact are of the ram sticks(not the slots on the board) and then wipe the contacts clean, making sure that eraser lint is dusted off said sticks of ram. Speaking of ram sticks, how many do you have to work with? Reseat the rams in their slots and then try and power up the laptop with merely the adapter(not the battery).

If that doesn't work, you will need to disassemble the entire laptop and then inspect the motherboard for any blown component on said motherboard. You will need to break out a multimeter and then inspect the board as well. If the BIOS is corrupt, you could reflash the BIOS, provided you can source the BIOS ROM for the laptop(which might be impossible in 2024) considering how old it is.