Toshiba Surprises With Touch-Screen Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, if it was apple, this would be the biggest news on the planet at the moment (sadly).

also, everyone I know turns their computers off when they are not using them. to save power. so this would be useful to me, specially if its got an ultra fast boot up. (seriously, an idle computer uses as much power as a fridge with its motor going). I know they say that its bad for the components turning the comp on and off, but they've lasted fine for me.

also, you could make it into a super awesome universal remote!

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
I know they say that its bad for the components turning the comp on and off, but they've lasted fine for me
Only clueless people say that. At home I always turn my systems off. I work I always leave it on so I can log in remotely. The only time in my life that a component has failed me was the MB at work. This isn't proof of anything but certainly doesn't support the argument that leaving the PC on makes it last longer.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
The turning them on/off wears them down a little bit more (as can be seen in tests), but most folks, especially those who would visit technical sites like this one regularly (such as you and me), discard or upgrade their hardware before the effects of turning it on/off even set in.

Also...
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]Perino also said that the device would be perfect for sharing content to other devices within the home, such as connecting it to a TV and steaming web-based video and photos.
[/citation]
Please send your steamy videos and photos to wannabuyspellcheck@editor.com

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hm. Anyone care to explain how I would go about steaming web-based photos and videos? Or is this the 10,000th example of god-awful writing/editing (or, to put it more accurately, the complete LACK of any kind of editing) at Tom's hardware?

A 7th grader student would have caught that error in the first round of editing. A dumb 7th grader.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
"although most of us leave the PC on anyway"...

come one ppl. if you own a corei7 it takes 30secs to boot up. don't waste power like this.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]lol, if it was apple, this would be the biggest news on the planet at the moment (sadly).also, everyone I know turns their computers off when they are not using them. to save power. so this would be useful to me, specially if its got an ultra fast boot up. (seriously, an idle computer uses as much power as a fridge with its motor going). I know they say that its bad for the components turning the comp on and off, but they've lasted fine for me. also, you could make it into a super awesome universal remote![/citation]
Just FYI fridge can take as much as 1-2KW (depending on size) with its cooling system active and i seriously doubt any normal PC can use that much. Point in fridge is that its cooling system is working just for very short time each hour thus making it more power efficient.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
[citation][nom]yousuckidiot[/nom]30 seconds on an i7? wow you're a fucking noob. idiot.[/citation]

Why is this guy a noob if he says his Core i7 starts up in 30 seconds? My Core i7 does it faster than that, less than 30 seconds now I have my SSD. Who's the fucking n00b now? Idiot.

although most of us leave the PC on anyway, so that point seems moot

I disagree. Something like a laptop needs to be turned off while transiting from and to university and between classes. Also, it is immensely useful if you need to go on the web to check, say, available study rooms at your campus. Currently, my laptop still requires about 5 seconds to resume from sleep in Windows 7; it's not slow, but I find it rather pointless to fully awaken the machine just to turn it off in a minute or two.

Also, I always turn my computer off at night. I don't want to sleep with the noise, and if it ain't doing anything it's better to just turn it off to save power.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
So does anyone know if this tablet self-orients the screen Anyway You Want It?

It's important that you Don't Stop Believing that there are players besides Apple in the "stylish computing" market.

So, Who's Crying Now that Apple was beaten to the punch on the tablet race... does anyone think that the conference Sept 9 will still have Apple faithfuls accepting an iTablet with Open Arms? After All These Years, When You Love a Woman, Never Walk Away, Faithfully, Lovin' You is Easy.

This probably makes no sense... Go ask your parents.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
(although most of us leave the PC on anyway, so that point seems moot)
You need to stop calling yourself everyone. This is a problem I've noticed with most Tom's writers. You are you, not most everyone.

I'd love this device in my own home and on the run. Less than a pound, touchscreen, etc. If it only came with the option of something besides Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.