Touch-Based Notebook Shipments Increasing 50% in 3Q13

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I'm really not sold on touch screens as an input for laptops. Simply put, mouse/keyboard or trackpad/keyboard work very well for that form factor with touch working very well for something that you can pick up and hold like a book. You can't do that with laptops.

Tablets and hybrids are another story - touch screens are very well suited for those and create a very nice user experience. That being the case, I'd just as soon keep my laptops non-touch screen.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Shipments are going to increase in Q3 (July 1 - Sept. 30) because most high-end Windows 8 laptops have touch screens and Q3 is when students going to college buy new laptops. If Windows 8 doesn't see a notable jump in market share come this October/November then Microsoft is going to be in a tough spot.

InvalidError

Titan
A very small number + 50% = still a very small number.

How many of those shipped touch-screened laptops actually get used as touch though? I know even if I got forced to buy a touch-enabled laptop I would almost certainly end up not using the touch feature.

So, while they may be selling touch-laptops, how many of them actually get significant amounts of touch input?

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
@stevejnb have you used a good touch screen laptop?
I have a hybrid XPS 12 and when its in laptop form I rarely use the track pad or mouse the touch is just a lot easier for most things. I thought the same as you till I started using one. now when I get on my wifes laptop I always go to touch the screen but it doesn't work and the touchpad/mouse isn't nearly as good. don't get me wrong the keyboard is way better than the on screen one and there are certain tasks where the mouse is better but most touch is easier and quicker

Status
Not open for further replies.