Question TPM + Windows 11

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I am only an average user. I did luckily + successfully flash my BIOS ASUS z3390 TUF plus Gaming WI FI.
I noticed this new feature was installed. I think I read where TPM needs to be enabled for Windows 11.
My pc was built and is 3 years old but did not have TPM enabled till the flash. I realize how luckily I was not to brick my pc.
I think it is unfair to unskilled users to have to enable this TPM even if security is better.
We are not all trained and just buy a pc hoping it will work as is.. I don't think most consumers flash a bios.
I have had issues with Windows such as updates etc. causing issues.
Do you find fault with my assessment?

I am only an average user. I did luckily + successfully flash my BIOS ASUS z3390 TUF plus Gaming WI FI.
I noticed this new feature was installed. I think I read where TPM needs to be enabled for Windows 11.
My pc was built and is 3 years old but did not have TPM enabled till the flash. I realize how luckily I was not to brick my pc.
I think it is unfair to unskilled users to have to enable this TPM even if security is better.
We are not all trained and just buy a pc hoping it will work as is.. I don't think most consumers flash a bios.
You could have enabled TPM in the BIOS if it was disabled (motherboard manual).
Most system with TPM do not require a BIOS update for TPM to be enabled.

I think ASUS enabled TPM with that BIOS update to make it easier for users that might not want to navigate to the BIOS menu and enable it.

Since Windows 11 have not been released, its requirements might change as it already happened. As of now Microsoft will allow not TPM compliant systems to install Windows 11.

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
im not upgrading... and after that if the next os still stinks i will be switching to linux
Many people would like to migrate to Linux but it is a whole new language so to speak for users, unless versed in it.
I would like to have started with Apple all the way. I have the iPhone but won't pay for a MacBook. I use my grand daughters and it is great. All Apple is a fine way to go if you can afford it.. Auto backups, security, functionality, and synchronized.

D

Deleted member 14196

fortunatly I don't have to solve everybody elses problems. see, that's a big load of wrong. if you don't know how to do something, do you choose to remain ignorant or do you dig in, research and get help? I have no sypathy for lazy and stupid--nor could I care less if the sheep stick to MS.

Also, Apple is way too expensive, a horrible choice in ANY case. That is the case of more money than brains. if a user is stupid and wishes to remain so, then so be it. too bad.

Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 until October 14, 2025.
That date could be extended as Microsoft have done with previous OSes.

No need to rush and get Windows 11 , especially if you don't like it.

There are many folks giving opinions about Windows 11 without even using it and we don't know how the finish product will be.

By the way Windows 11 Start Menu navigation load faster and search works faster with better results options than Windows 10.
Windows Explorer also.
Also Explorer navigation has become snappier.
For those with multi-monitor configurations (like me) Windows 11 fixed all the issues plaguing Windows 10. More control over desktop layouts.
The touch keyboard has been improved.
A Windows Terminal was added that can open PowerShell and Command Prompt from within a folder (like Linux).

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020

You don't need a TPM module if your CPU supports firmware TPM, you will need to enable it in the UEFI. UEFI is the minimum specs btw. Your CPU, which you have listed, needs to be Intel 8th gen minimum, though they may change that to 7th

Your motherboard supports CPUs that have fTPM. You don't need to buy a module.

And honestly, if you're afraid to poke around in UEFI and getting your hands dirty with it, you probably shouldn't be building your own computer. Almost everything you can do in there, with the exception of tweaking voltages, will not permanently damage your system. And if you screw up and the computer doesn't boot? Pop out the battery for a minute or so and it'll revert to the defaults.

Colif

Win 11 Master
A Windows Terminal was added that can open PowerShell and Command Prompt from within a folder (like Linux).
you can download that on windows 10 now, its on the store. its pretty powerful, more than it shows on surface, it can launch all sorts of things

CXt3aXB.jpg

I been on 11 for about 3 weeks now, only time I notice its not 10 is shutdown because the power button has moved in start menu. I am assuming they have some updates for insiders this month as some things are missing still.

Reactions: jojesa
D

Deleted member 14196

there is nothing i rely on to work. and thats all i use pc for. work. i can rdp and vnc in linux to my various hosts... i don't require windows and frankly I am sick of them spying on me with all their telematics

USAFRet

Titan
The vast majority of users will simply get Win 11 with whatever new PC they buy.
The second largest group is those whose PC is already Win 11 capable.
The next largest group will be people who have no problem doing this.
A very small minority will have to do any BIOS changes to eventually upgrade to Win 11.

Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable

In most cases, users don’t need to flash the BIOS to enable TPM.
They need to disable CSM and enable secure boot and Intel PTT (on Intel platforms).

Also, a DirectX 12 compatible GPU is required!

Endre

Reputable
The vast majority of users will simply get Win 11 with whatever new PC they buy.
The second largest group is those whose PC is already Win 11 capable.
The next largest group will be people who have no problem doing this.
A very small minority will have to do any BIOS changes to eventually upgrade to Win 11.

Yeah,
I think that most of the PC enthusiasts will upgrade to Win11 by mid 2022.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah,
I think that most of the PC enthusiasts will upgrade to Win11 by mid 2022.
As opposed to the idiots who rushed to buy a TPM module right now.
And the other fools who are flapping around worrying about their 3rd gen Intel system.

Requirements have been changing almost daily.

The Oct 5 release is supposed to be 'upgrade only'.
Actual clean install thing sometime later.

We shall see.

Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
As opposed to the idiots who rushed to buy a TPM module right now.
And the other fools who are flapping around worrying about their 3rd gen Intel system.

Requirements have been changing almost daily.

The Oct 5 release is supposed to be 'upgrade only'.
Actual clean install thing sometime later.

We shall see.

I’ll wait for the clean install option.

Colif

Win 11 Master
In most cases, users don’t need to flash the BIOS to enable TPM.
They need to disable CSM and enable secure boot and Intel PTT (on Intel platforms).

Also, a DirectX 12 compatible GPU is required!

Those steps are daunting to people who don't even know they have a bios. Microsoft had to draw a line in the sand at some stage but many will be on the other side who don't know they shouldn't be. Damn blog post full of laptops again

disabling csm in many cases means PC won't boot as its set to legacy as that was default bios was set at when they bought pc from a shop.
simple steps for some are huge leaps for others.

turning secure boot on leaves some unable to boot.

Endre

Reputable
Those steps are daunting to people who don't even know they have a bios. Microsoft had to draw a line in the sand at some stage but many will be on the other side who don't know they shouldn't be. Damn blog post full of laptops again

disabling csm in many cases means PC won't boot as its set to legacy as that was default bios was set at when they bought pc from a shop.
simple steps for some are huge leaps for others.

turning secure boot on leaves some unable to boot.

Yes. You’re absolutely right.
The process ain’t very user friendly.

To enable TPM 2.0 on my Z390 Aorus Master, I had to do 3 sets of changes in the BIOS menu, each of those sets of changes had to be followed by a PC restart (because certain options weren’t visible before those restarts).

Colif

Win 11 Master
i turned ftpm on the first day of announcement, but still don't have Secure boot on.

I have been on 11 for almost a month now, and I still pass the upgrade path test to get 11 even though secure boot is off.

Wonder if they ever make it necessary, maybe if I clean install 11 it will insist.

No rush, currently not exactly sure what my license is.
Windows isn't very informative, just tells me how its activated
y5LC4UB.jpg

Many people would like to migrate to Linux but it is a whole new language so to speak for users, unless versed in it.
I would like to have started with Apple all the way. I have the iPhone but won't pay for a MacBook. I use my grand daughters and it is great. All Apple is a fine way to go if you can afford it.. Auto backups, security, functionality, and synchronized.

No chance me switching to Linux ---- I've got several-hundred pounds worth of Windows-only software which I rely on every week.

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
Many people do not buy a new pc every year and many are not lucky enough to be skilled users. If you are over 40 and buy a pc every 4-5 years it is hard to know things like flashing bios or even working within the UEFI at all. When you but a car you do not have to upgrade software.
So look at it from a non skilled users point of view who is trying to catch up visiting forums like this and make allowances.
My only issues with Windows are problems from updates like safety remove missing. Luckily its an ez fix.
I think treating all people as though thy were skilled is a bit unfair.
If I did it again I would go Apple. I use my grand children's and it is a secure breeze. If I could afford it I would go that route. I had a galaxy phone (2 updates)but my iPhone is so much more secure and easier to use.